15 hours ago, krow said:

can someone please plagiarize a logo so we can talk about something?

How about *

U1tNq3.jpg

Actually, I am considering entering a Kathmandu design. I'm wondering if there would be objections or issues with that? Obviously I would hand over tie-break votes and such to someone else in that part of the comp if I do (if it even got any votes - I'm the first to admit I don't design well, I just run the comps for others' designs). Or maybe I'll just submit something to prod some inspiration and not proceed it to the official votes. Anyway, I'll be ruled by others' thoughts on it.

* apologies (and acknowledgement) to Paul, Davey and JO. This is obviously not a real submission

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, yoshi said:

it would appear Glacib has made a smal timing error. Although a Winter Olympics in Cuba would be interesting, to say the least :lol:

If Davey can fix it to be the right city, I'm sure Glacib can fix the right year :P

Okay, here's what I've done. Whether I make this an official entry or not will depend on whether people will allow me to enter or not (and yes, Yoshi, you'd be first in line for tie-break duties for Kathmandu - I'm not contemplating doing the same with Havana or Hamburg).

EzizGC.jpg

3o57rD.jpg

Background and explanation. The logo is based around the mandala, a spriitual and religious symbol in both Nepal's dominant religions of Hinduism and Buddhism. The mandala represents a microcosm of the universe and the universal wisdoms and truths. In their use here, they are also likened to snowflakes, and like snowflakes, no two of the mandalas used here are exactly alike. The five mandalas, of course, also are arranged as in the Olympic rings.

The colours used, Blue, White, Red, Green and Yellow, are of course the colours of the Olympic Rings. They are also, in that order, the traditional colours of Buddhist prayer flags which are a ubiquitous sight throughout Nepal, from city rooftops to mountain meadows. 

tumblr_inline_nx396pQDdI1tpot0y_1280.jpg 

431652655-prayer-flag-kathmandu-buddhism

Within the prayer flags, the five colours represent the five elements and the Five Pure Lights. Blue symbolises the sky and space (though which the athletes of the games soar), white symbolises the air and wind (and snow, for the Winter Games), red symbolises fire (and the passion of the athletes), green symbolises water (and ice, on which graceful and sturdy athletes perfect their routines), and yellow symbolises earth (and mountains of Nepal). 

The Olympic mandalas are designed to be used together, as a single branding logo, but also used separately within an overall Olympic look or as individual "mini" logos.

dkLD6O.jpg

Depending on whether or not I'll proceed (or be allowed to proceed) with the logo, I may or may not put in a few tweaks.

BTW JO - this one isn't showing up for me any more :huh:

On 12/4/2016 at 8:38 PM, JO2024 said:

Thanks Sir Rols! I decided to keep it very simple and yet colourful. Here's a second version, but I'm not sure which one I prefer so I'll let you decide. 15304172_10207944355715230_2439128949646

Edited by Sir Rols

39 minutes ago, yoshi said:

I don't want to be THAT GUY (I'm totally about to be though), but it would appear Glacib has made a smal timing error. Although a Winter Olympics in Cuba would be interesting, to say the least :lol:

Alpine skiing on the beach... amazing experience! :lol:

dear JO2024,

I was just looking at Rols last post and I realized I used the same font as you, a total over-sign on my part......I saw your star when it was posted and thought it was cool looking but when I made mine I searched a lot of fonts till I found one I liked and I THOUGHT I found the perfect one....but you found it first!:lol: So sorry....of course I will withdraw mine and try to re-tool it. good luck.

15304172_10207944355715230_2439128949646Havana6.jpg

Edited by paul

On 17/12/2016 at 4:45 AM, paul said:

dear JO2024,

I was just looking at Rols last post and I realized I used the same font as you, a total over-sign on my part......I saw your star when it was posted and thought it was cool looking but when I made mine I searched a lot of fonts till I found one I liked and I THOUGHT I found the perfect one....but you found it first!:lol: So sorry....of course I will withdraw mine and try to re-tool it. good luck.

No worries Paul. It's fine, you can use it I really don't mind. It's a nice matching font for Havana, so that makes sense that you went for that one! ;)

And Sirl Rols, I will resubmit my Havana and Kathmandu logos very soon, before the deadline. And I do hope to see your submission in the competition! ^_^

Okay - just under 48 hours for the "official" deadline to get entries in. That said, I'll probably give a few days after that - I doubt I'll start the actual voting until January 2 at the absolute earliest (might be otherwise occupied till then, or even the 3rd). I'll keep you all posted on that. I'm counting 11 official entries so far - 4 for Kathmandu and 7 for Hamburg/Havana. It'd be great to get some more in, and would love some last minute surprises to come (as we've usually had in past years). At this stage, unless we get a deluge of late Kathmandu entries in, we'll proceed straight to the final voting for it - no need for a shortlisting stage with less than five in that field. It'll use the IOC voting procedures. Hamburg/Havana I'm not too sure about the format yet - I may do them together or have separate Hamburg and Havana votes. We'll see how that unfolds.

I've had no objections about me entering Kathmandu, so I'm likely to proceed with it. Which means Yoshi better be on the ready to be our tie-breaker if needed. That said, I'll still refrain from voting in any of the Kathmandu rounds so as counteract any perceived advantage I may have as both an entrant and as organiser. All other entrants will be allowed to vote (and vote for their own).

One housekeeping note - Paul, are you going to post a definitive/generic version of your Havana logo? At the moment, I'm using a cutout (the red/pink star against a yellow/brown background - from the Cigar Lady poster) as a placeholder. Let me know, or post, your final submission for it. And feel free to let your creative juices flow and try your hand at Kathmandu or Hamburg.

Soon guys - better start rugging up for a Himalayan winter!!! I'll be looking for a new co-host/presenter now that Bach's been sacked.

smqIyS.jpg

Edited by Sir Rols