OMG! Take 2020 away from Japan!!

Fish were purposely frozen alive in Japanese skating rinks as a gimmick.  

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/28/anger-as-japanese-skating-rink-freezes-thousands-of-fish-into-ice-as-gimmick 

What's next?  What will the Tokyo organizers throw into the pools in August 2020?  

Maybe it's time to remove the troubled 2020 Games from Japan??

• Like 1

A spokesperson told the Asahi Shimbun that the park was considering holding a memorial service for the fish next year, adding that the fish were already dead when they were bought from a local wholesaler.

“Misunderstandings spread on the internet that the fish were frozen while they were still alive, but that was not the case,” the spokesperson told the newspaper. “We should have explained more.”

While certainly distasteful it is far from immoral.

• Like 1
On 11/30/2016 at 5:08 PM, zekekelso said:

You could leave the fish in the ocean, where they will eventually get eaten alive or die of disease/starvation. You could sell the fish as food. Or freeze them in a skating rink. 

Is one option really morally inferior to the others?

Yes.

When I was in Alaska this summer I harvested about 100 kg of halibut meat and helped butcher two deer. I did it for food for myself and Native American villagers, and the carcasses were used as fertilizer for gardens. Similarly the bears, sea lions and whales took many fish for food.

Conversely I also saw a bear cub that was shot by a (native) poacher for no reason. No meat was taken (you can't eat grizzly bear meat), or even the hide. There was no reason to do it other than the "fun" of killing a brown bear cub.

They could have used plastic fish or photographs (as used for the rays and sharks) for the same effect. There was no reason to waste all of these fish.

• Like 1