Sign in to follow this  
Sir Rols

Adios Fidel!

So the tyrant, the bearded one, is dead. So weird - he's led Cuba during the length of my entire life (well, until hermano Raoul took over recently). Such a significant figure - the last of the Cold War giants. Almost sad - but one can't deny he was a ruthless son of a bitch and it's not like he should be mourned.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

So the tyrant, the bearded one, is dead. So weird - he's led Cuba during the length of my entire life (well, until hermano Raoul took over recently). Such a significant figure - the last of the Cold War giants. Almost sad - but one can't deny he was a ruthless son of a bitch and it's not like he should be mourned.

Sergeant Colonel Batista, the man Fidel replaced, wasn't exactly a pussyc; also Castro was way ahead of his time in confronting amoral multinational companies.

20 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Sergeant Colonel Batista, the man Fidel replaced, wasn't exactly a pussyc; also Castro was way ahead of his time in confronting amoral multinational companies.

Still, a totalitarian approach to fight for an initially good cause is nothing to be proud of really.

1 hour ago, StefanMUC said:

Still, a totalitarian approach to fight for an initially good cause is nothing to be proud of really.

I agree.  Let's not cry for Castro.  I'm sure Evita isn't!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StefanMUC said:

I suspect historians in the 22nd century, looking back at the great war between states and companies which began in 2017 with the collapse of TPP and TTIP, might think otherwise. China has followed some aspects of the Cuban model, and Cuba in turn has followed some aspects of the Chinese model (though it's unlikely that Cuba will be able to follow the Chinese model much further unless it becomes a direct client state of China).

4 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Oh, he left his mark alright. Yes, not all his legacy has been negative. And he didi mellow over time (I was impressed when he admitted his mistake in his persecution of gays). But did he leave Cuba better off? Did his ends justify his means? Did his, truly, well-intentioned acts outweigh his reckless and downright immoral ones? That's all a very mixed verdict. I'm very conflicted myself, but in the end figured I couldn't in clear conscious laud him as a great man.

No one will miss him. Needless to say, in my country he was widely hated as well for being the mentor of our own version of him who ruined us in every way possible and is still doing it from the grave (and not happy with that he infected the rest of south america with that shitty idelogy of theirs...is just like werewolves).  

I feel sorry for non-cubans leaving in Miami this weekend for they won't be able to sleep. 

The most amusing thing to come out of his death is the blowback from one of Marco Rubio's tweet about Fidel's policies on the LGBT community. People were quick to point out his own anti-LGBT policies. 

Castro, not an angel, nor a demon. People should stop putting him in extremes, he was down in the middle due to the circumstances surrounding Cuba since the 50's. Without condemning, nor condoning, I understand why he did what he did for Cuba.

RIP Fidel Castro