What If..?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think would win and why?

• Budapest
    • London
    • Los Angeles

Whilst not intending to sound like Paris is going to walk it, I have a hypothetical question:  

What if Paris had won 2012 and we were watching a race between London (with Brexit), Los Angeles (with Trump) and Budapest. Who do you think would win and why?

• Like 1

You forget "Budapest (with Orban)" - if you take the political situation as criteria in all three countries you would have a decision between the plague, pox and cholera...

I would still vote for London, but I wouldn't travel to it, due I wouldn't feel welcomed there... 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Citius Altius Fortius said:

You forget "Budapest (with Orban)" - if you take the political situation as criteria in all three countries you would have a decision between the plague, pox and cholera...

I would still vote for London, but I wouldn't travel to it, due I wouldn't feel welcomed there... 

Good point!

Good thread.

I'd rule out Budapest for non-political reasons. I just don't think the IOC would choose them over bigger cities. The fact they have their own unpalatable political situation only compounds this.

So that leaves London (Brexit) or LA (Trump). I will assume London's plans are the same as they were for 2012, and LA's the same as they are for 2024.

I think  if I were an IOC member I'd be much less concerned about endorsing a UK leaving the EU than I would about embracing the US with Trump - especially given Trump's recent appointments to his top team and his campaign strategy. If I were voting on reputational factors alone and which would look better for the IOC post-Sochi I'd go for London.

But the IOC will look at London, see it's offering a huge project, and ask "Is it deliverable?" It will see a falling pound, a nation unsure of its visa arrangements with its neighbours in the near future, a nation unsure of whether it will be in the European single market going forward with possible labour shortages in sectors like construction. It'll wonder if the nation can raise the sponsorship needed if there's to be economic consequences from Brexit, and it'll see what's going on in Scotland and wonder if a second independence referendum could be on the cards between now and then, and be concerned about what effect that might have.

Given how London pulled off a successful Games during the worst recession in a century, I think we'd host a great Games even with Brexit. But I don't think the IOC would risk voting for the city.

It'd be a vote for LA, for practical reasons, through gritted teeth.

Edited by Rob.

On 14/11/2016 at 3:13 PM, Citius Altius Fortius said:

You would be. London voted heavily for Remain, it thoroughly rejected Zac Goldmsith's divisive Mayoral campaign earlier this year too. It hasn't changed since you were here in 2012. If anything it's become more open, or at least more determined to be seen as such, since the Brexit vote.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/mayor/london-is-still-open-for-business-despite-brexit-mayor-launches-londonisopen-campaign-a3298211.html

#LondonIsOpen

• Like 1

On 11/22/2016 at 9:26 PM, mr.bernham said:

The real question is, who wins if France elects Le Pen? LA or Paris?

Le Pen seems to be a more tameable twat than Trump so Paris still looks like the favorite to win. Also, Le Pen hasn't completely alienated her own continent quite like Trump has.

6 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

Le Pen seems to be a more tameable twat than Trump so Paris still looks like the favorite to win. Also, Le Pen hasn't completely alienated her own continent quite like Trump has.

Le Pen is probably worse than Trump. She wants to pull France out of the EU and NATO. At least Trump has walked back his statements on NATO. Also...have you not heard Le Pen speak in the European Parliament? The European Parliament just voted to allow her to be criminally investigated...she is by no means liked.

2 hours ago, mr.bernham said:

Le Pen is probably worse than Trump. She wants to pull France out of the EU and NATO. At least Trump has walked back his statements on NATO. Also...have you not heard Le Pen speak in the European Parliament? The European Parliament just voted to allow her to be criminally investigated...she is by no means liked.

Oh, well nevermind then lol

On 2016-11-22 at 9:26 PM, mr.bernham said:

The real question is, who wins if France elects Le Pen? LA or Paris?

At least that question is over, and if she loses the Parliamentary election too, we can say Marine Le Pen will be DOA politically speaking. Even Putin is reclaiming the rubles of campaign.