^Yeah, was thinking that the other day. They didn't get the 2016 Olympics but they took this year's World Series instead!! I'm sure the latter means that MUCH more to them anyway! Kinda akin to Brazil taking the Gold in the soccer final @ Rio 2016. Now all that needs to happen is for Hillary to win next week!

8 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Too bad the St. Louis Olympics (which were originally Chicago's) were 1904 and not 1908.  Would have been some interesting symmetry if Chicago's 2 World Series wins 108 years apart both came in years they wanted the Olympics and didn't get it.

The way I was looking at it, was the last time the Cubs & the Indians won the World Series (1908 & 1948, respectively), London had hosted the Olympics both those years. So was trying to see how that could tie itself in there somewhere lol. 

4 hours ago, FYI said:

The way I was looking at it, was the last time the Cubs & the Indians won the World Series (1908 & 1948, respectively), London had hosted the Olympics both those years. So was trying to see how that could tie itself in there somewhere lol. 

Nice, didn't even think of that one.  Good call

• Like 1
4 hours ago, FYI said:

And Rols, you follow MLB? I'm surprised that an Aussie started this & not one of our American members here.

Not really. I've been to a game in the States and found it almost as boring as cricket. But there's a compatriot of yours I talk to almost every day, and we've been razzing each other this year about the World Series (he's an Indians fan). NFL is more my personal interest when it comes to the American sports leagues.

Considering the Cubs' drought is one of the most well-known sporting legends of the world, I was surprised myself an Aussie had to post about it here. BTW - how far off was Back to the Future's Cubs victory production?

A lot of the comment and interest in it down here was how it fitted into this year being one of the triumph of the underdogs/perennial losers. In the UK they had Leicester City's unlikely triumph, here we had two long-standing bridesmaids (Western Bulldogs and Cronulla Sharks) win their rival football codes and now we have the biggie, the Cubs. Not sure what the omens for this could mean for Hillary versus Donald next week? 

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

Nice, didn't even think of that one.  Good call

Just like had St Louis hosted in 1908 instead, what if London hosted 2016 instead? Cuz that's what was missing when I was thinking about it lol. 

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

But there's a compatriot of yours I talk to almost every day, and we've been razzing each other this year about the World Series (he's an Indians fan). 

Considering the Cubs' drought is one of the most well-known sporting legends of the world, I was surprised myself an Aussie had to post about it here. BTW - how far off was Back to the Future's Cubs victory production?

Oh boy, I bet your friend is not doing too good today. And yeah, Back to the Future II missed it by ONE year! The "future dated" newspaper in the movie had it in "2015". 

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

A lot of the comment and interest in it down here was how it fitted into this year being one of the triumph of the underdogs/perennial losers. Not sure what the omens for this could mean for Hillary versus Donald next week? 

Well, she said this afternoon that she "hopes to make history just like the Cubs did", lol. She's originally from Evanston, IL, just like Bill Murray & John Cusack, who both were at all of the WS games. Is that enough for her, though. I guess we'll see next week!

I'm personally not too much onto Baseball but I gotta admit I've always wanted a team which truly suffered a lot for more than a century to win. Seeing them win at last brought a smile to my face. And now I kind of want to watch Back to the Future II again for obvious reasons.

This year so far has to be one of the strangest i've seen, tbh. 

I'm happy for Chicago, always the birdesmaid, never the bride.  And Cleveland already had their moment in the sun with the NBA crown earlier.  

But here's another bit of parallel history to watch for on Tuesday.  Ohio is the ultimate (major) US bellweather state.  It's always picked the winning US president since JFK's victory in 1960.  But just as Chicago finally won its baseball title in 108 years, Ohio's vaunted electoral record may also be broken this time -- not electing the eventual US presidential winner.   

Hilary supposedly doesn't need Ohio but it could also still deliver a winning vote for the Democrats.  

I predict Hilary will win by 25 electoral votes, carrying Pennsylvania, Michigan, Colorado, No. Carolina and Nevada.  Florida and Ohio are really too close to call at this time.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Not so odd about Australia and baseball. Australia produced Dave Nilsson, the best Australian baseball ever and the first Aussie to make the MLB All-Star Game with the Milwaukee Brewers, Craig Shipley, Graham Lloyd, Grant Balfour, Travis Backley, Liam Hendriks, Luke Hughes, John Spence, Brad Thomas, Richard Thompson, and Peter Moylan all played in majors. There's even a nationwide pro league called the ABL with Australia participating in the World Baseball Classic including next year's.

Anyway, I'm happy for the Cubs. It's history. Despite my hometown, I'm actually a Toronto Blue Jays fan and would much rather face them instead of the Indians with the World Series back in Canada. I tend to take the Cards for granted. Check out the World Series victory parade that started at Wrigley Field through downtown and all the way to Grant Park, where the Bulls would host their celebrations during their own glory days in the 1990s. Just about everybody in Chicagoland was there: 5 million were present at some point in the parade to watch this! Too bad the Cubs legends like Harry Caray, Jack Brickhouse, Ernie Banks, and Ron Santo and thousands of earlier generations of fans Cubs did not live to see this. BTW, the Cavs one really should be GSW's but the latter were too damn stupid and incompetent and ought to be deeply ashamed and embarassed forever over that especially Game 7 with the Cavs jumping up and down running around the Oracle Arena damn court afterwards. Some fans should've cussed the Warriors out upon leaving the court. Cleveland should enjoy just the Lake Erie Monsters AHL Calder Cup title. Anyway, here's the 4-hour plus live streaming from FOX 10 Phoenix:

For those want to just see the WS Cubs Grant park rally... 

• Like 1