Four die at Aussie theme park

Sh*t - I was only here a few weeks back with my family...

My two nieces enjoyed the River Rapids ride (I am way too much of a sook to go on those kinds of things) - and I have to admit while watching them ride it it seemed a bit scary... 

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/dreamworld-rollercoaster-incident-four-injured-reports-say/news-story/b0ceca534fa0fbf34aa8e9a1bd97790f

I'm utterly gutless when it comes to rides.

I love seeing the shows and some of those 'small world' etc kind of rides but beyond that no.  I do not enjoy out of control/upside down fuckery.

Word is two of the dead were mothers riding with their kids - the kids survived.  Just too damn sad.

1 hour ago, thatsnotmypuppy said:

Sh*t - I was only here a few weeks back with my family...

My two nieces enjoyed the River Rapids ride (I am way too much of a sook to go on those kinds of things) - and I have to admit while watching them ride it it seemed a bit scary... 

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/dreamworld-rollercoaster-incident-four-injured-reports-say/news-story/b0ceca534fa0fbf34aa8e9a1bd97790f

It was, of course, supposed to SEEM scary. But those carousel things are really big and sturdy. "Flipping" should be almost impossible, even if the people on them are all crowded over to one side.

Condolences to all those affected of course, but I'm a no brainer when it comes to theme park rides. I can ride just about anything, especially the really "scary" thrill seekers. I've been on that river rapids ride, it's nothing too scary. But the reason as to why it had a "boat" topple over or whatever is probably due to poor maintenance of the ride and/or age.

Rollercoaster Tycoon gives a good indicator on keeping maintenance on rides, even if it is a simulator.

It appears the raft in front of the one that flipped over got stuck at the exit platform at the very end of the ride.  The raft behind ran into it, flipped over throwing the occupants either into the water, into the conveyer belt mechanisms or completely clear.

Turns out the two kids were thrown clear and from what the police announced two of the adults got stuck under the raft and drowned and two were basically torn apart by the conveyer system... horrible.

The ride was shut down earlier in the day prior to the accident - no word on if it was a similar reason.