Accommodation for Tokyo 2020

Anyone know Tokyo well and understand the venue layout?

Based on the venue layout, if you wanted to be within walking distance from a major venue (like athletics) or a venue group which are the best Tokyo districts to target for a suitable hotel?

What I don't want is a 2 hour commute just to get to my first venue which was the case every day in Rio.

If you wanna be close to the Olympic stadium and Yoyogi, a good bet would be to look for a place in Shinjuku or Shibuya. LOTS of hotels in all price ranges in both areas, you'd be in the heart of Tokyo shopping and the classic modern Tokyo experience, and both are about half an hour walk (at most) to those venues (last time I was there I was based in Shinjuku, and the walk to that area and Harajuku was part of the daily routine).

Not sure about the bay area venues, but knowing the Tokyo subway, they should be easy reachable by that transport option from Shinjuku or Shibuya stations within about half an hour at most. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

If you wanna be close to the Olympic stadium and Yoyogi, a good bet would be to look for a place in Shinjuku or Shibuya. LOTS of hotels in all price ranges in both areas, you'd be in the heart of Tokyo shopping and the classic modern Tokyo experience, and both are about half an hour walk (at most) to those venues (last time I was there I was based in Shinjuku, and the walk to that area and Harajuku was part of the daily routine).

Not sure about the bay area venues, but knowing the Tokyo subway, they should be easy reachable by that transport option from Shinjuku or Shibuya stations within about half an hour at most. 

Thanks. Sounds like you have stayed there already?

Tokyo Bay was an option I was considering, there appear to be more venues around there but less hotels ?

1 minute ago, scoobiesnacks said:

Thanks. Sounds like you have stayed there already?

Tokyo Bay was an option I was considering, there appear to be more venues around there but less hotels ?

Regular visitor.

Thing is with the Tokyo Bay area is it should also have plenty of accommodation - it's already the heart of the Tokyo trade fair and convention businesses. But I haven't stayed in that zone myself so can't vouch for it, give any recommendations or estimate whether those hotels will be snapped up by official delegations and the IOC etc. Honestly, if I were going in 2020 (which I just might still), I'd be looking to Shinjuku/Shibuya - if nothing else for the out-of-venues amenities (shops, restaurants, transport etc). And I would put my faith in the Tokyo subway system - fast and efficient. Both Shinjuku and Shibuya are on the Yamanote line, which loops the city (so you can never really get lost) and connects to every other line. I would guess queuing at he venues would take more time than travelling to them via the subway.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Regular visitor.

Thing is with the Tokyo Bay area is it should also have plenty of accommodation - it's already the heart of the Tokyo trade fair and convention businesses. But I haven't stayed in that zone myself so can't vouch for it, give any recommendations or estimate whether those hotels will be snapped up by official delegations and the IOC etc. Honestly, if I were going in 2020 (which I just might still), I'd be looking to Shinjuku/Shibuya - if nothing else for the out-of-venues amenities (shops, restaurants, transport etc). And I would put my faith in the Tokyo subway system - fast and efficient. Both Shinjuku and Shibuya are on the Yamanote line, which loops the city (so you can never really get lost) and connects to every other line. I would guess queuing at he venues would take more time than travelling to them via the subway.

Thanks,  very good to get some advice from someone who understands the layout and transport

Agreed, I wouldn't worry about it to much but Shinjuku would be a good bet.

When I was in Tokyo last I stayed in Okubo which has 2 stations (including 1 on the Yamanote line) and within 3 stops you have Shinjuku, Yoyogi and Harajuku. 

6 hours ago, scoobiesnacks said:

So, my next question, how much per night would you expect to pay outside of the Olympics for a 3 star hotel? And during the games can we expect the usual 400% increases? Or is there so much accommodation it won't make that much impact (unlikely I guess)

I suppose then we get into the whole problem of currency conversions and such. I'd recommend doing a search for averages on a site like Trip Advisor or Expedia. I do think though, that while Tokyo has a reputation for being expensive, I think that's outdated now - I've found it quite reasonable in recent years - at least compared to cities like London or Sydney. I also think that there's lots of accommodation, so competition should at least restrict or dampen any Olympic mark-ups. Also, I think prices will reflect the sizes of the rooms more than the amenities - you can get some very nicely fitted out rooms for reasonable prices, but they won't be particularly large.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, zekekelso said:

While I think it will be easy to find places to stay... if all else fails, there are Tokyo's love hotels, which can be rented by the night in addition to by the hour. As you might expect from the country that gave us Hello Kitty, some of them can be quite creative (have fun googling). 

cozyramen.png?1384968217

I was going to mention earlier that if you're looking around Shibuya, you might wanna be wary of the Love Hotels. Or maybe that might even be an attraction?

I've always wanted to stay at the Park Hyatt Tokyo (from Lost in Translation). Something tells me that won't be available <_<

London is probably the best match for Tokyo in terms of housing. Although there was plenty of hotel space, the hotels still tried to jack up rates to 2/3x normal London rates (which are pretty darn high to start with). But a month or so before the games, there were many available rooms, and prices came way down. This happens at every Olympics, but it was especially pronounced in London. Personally, I don't have the guts to wait and book a last minute room. I'm sure the one time I try will be the one time things don't free up and I get screwed.

• Like 1

A key to link the two maps above:

1-2. Olympic Stadium. Located right by the E25 station. 
3. Yoyogi Stadium. By C03. Also by the Harajuku tration station. While not as prominate on this map, the trains within Toyko provide an equivelent travel network. The JR Yamanote line servied by the Harajuku station is probably the most important transportation line in the city. 
4 Budokan. By C05/Z06/T07
5. Imperial Palace Garden - green space between 4 and 6.
6. Tokyo International Forum. Y18. 
7. Kokugikan Arena. E12
8-16. Along the Yunikamomo Line connecting E19 to Y22.
17. Seaside Park Hockey. On the Tokyo Monorail line, connecting at A09/E20
18-21. No train access. Busses running from somewhere near venus 8-24 I would guess. 
22.  Kasai slalom course. On train line running between Y24 and Disneyland
23-26. By Y24
27-28. By Y23

• Like 1

Finally, a few notes on neighborhoods (keep in mind I'm not an expert or anything... but this could get people started)

Shinjuku and Shibuya are the first neighborhoods most tourists think of in Tokyo. If you have a mental picture of Toyko, they probably come from here. Near the Olympic Stadium. Farther out for other venues, but with great transportation links. Tons of hotels, but I expect this is where many tourists will want to stay. 

Tokyo Station. Possibly the ideal location from a transportation standpoint - both to the Olympic and anywhere else you might want to go. Tons of hotels, some really high end and lots of mid/low end.

Ginza. Another ideal transportation zone, but more of a neighborhood than nearby Tokyo Station. Known for high-end (really high end!) shopping.

Odaiba: Not labeled on the maps, but it's the man-made island in the harbor near all the venues. Lots of family oriented hotels. Perfect place to stay, but I'm assuming it'll be 100% taken by Olympic Family/VIP/etc. 

Just about anywhere else: I assume most people will be looking at the neighborhoods above, so "bargains" may be found elsewhere. If you look at the map, there are tons of places that are just a few stops away. I suspect I'll end up in Akihabara, because of both the good transportation  and the geek culture which my nephew will love. 

5 hours ago, zekekelso said:

I've always wanted to stay at the Park Hyatt Tokyo (from Lost in Translation). Something tells me that won't be available <_<

London is probably the best match for Tokyo in terms of housing. Although there was plenty of hotel space, the hotels still tried to jack up rates to 2/3x normal London rates (which are pretty darn high to start with). But a month or so before the games, there were many available rooms, and prices came way down. This happens at every Olympics, but it was especially pronounced in London. Personally, I don't have the guts to wait and book a last minute room. I'm sure the one time I try will be the one time things don't free up and I get screwed.

You're right on the London hotels

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

Warning - some big files to post. But necessary I think. First, a venue map. IMPORTANT NOTE: This is the venue map from the candidate stage. I assume there have been some changes to this, but I can't find an update file. If anyone has one, or wants to post what is no longer correct on this map, I'll update below. 

Olympic-venues-in-Tokyo.jpg

It's the concentration of venues in the Toyko Bay area that makes me think a hotel in the Bay area might be a sensible option

3. Yoyogi Stadium. By C03. Also by the Harajuku tration station. While not as prominate on this map, the trains within Toyko provide an equivelent travel network. The JR Yamanote line servied by the Harajuku station is probably the most important transportation line in the city. 
7. Kokugikan Arena. E12
18-21. No train access. Busses running from somewhere near venus 8-24 I would guess. 
23-26. By Y24
27-28. By Y23

The Yunikamomo Line appears to be quite important for Games, do you agree with that?  Maybe a hotel within walking distance of that is a good move.

Where is the easiest place to interchange between the Yunikamomo Line and the Oedo Line?

Do all these metro lines have roughly the same capacity or are some more modern,bigger or less busy ? - like the Jubilee line in London

I'll probably stay near Disney at Maihama - relatively quick transport times into the city centre. near the Bay cluster/s and quick links to the Yamanote line.  

Other options that will be cheaper are in Chiba/Narita and just factor in the cost of the NEX train that'll get you to Tokyo Station in 45 minutes and also goes through Uenop which is linked to most lines.  I'll also head to Sapporo for some football.

• Like 1

7. Kokugikan Arena. E12
23-26. By Y24
27-28. By Y23

Looking at venues 8-27, just going off the transport map there would appear to be potential for a bottleneck where people get off the Oedo line and move onto a docklands light railway (Yunikamomo Line) or buses.  At the past 2 games moving people onto buses off the metro (as in Rio) or moving people on a docklands light railway (as in London 2012) caused significant delays.