phandrosis

Tokyo 2020 Look of the Games

I want everyone to remember this when they suggest that city X can host the Olympics on the cheap without the sporting federations raising hell. The SOP of the federations has always been to trash the host city in the media to pressure them to give them what the federations want. Be it a lavish venue for their sport, better transit links, a better Olympic village or in this case more money for decorations.

The uneducated public is always quick to blame the IOC for all the ills associated with the games, but the greedy IFs are equally to blame. They're a bunch of spoiled brats who have ridden the gravy train for decades and can't take no for an answer without throwing a tantrum. I hope the IOC is able to organize the 2020 boxing competition without AIBA, it might set a precedent that could be repeated down the road.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BTHarner said:

The uneducated public is always quick to blame the IOC for all the ills associated with the games, but the greedy IFs are equally to blame. They're a bunch of spoiled brats who have ridden the gravy train for decades and can't take no for an answer without throwing a tantrum. I hope the IOC is able to organize the 2020 boxing competition without AIBA, it might set a precedent that could be repeated down the road.

Is boxing a mandatory sport in Olympic Games? Maybe a time for IOC to replace it with other new and young sports?

On 5/9/2019 at 9:19 AM, budse said:

Is boxing a mandatory sport in Olympic Games? Maybe a time for IOC to replace it with other new and young sports?

Hmm.. Kickboxing perhaps? :P

Some new pics from the official game, showing how the venues will (probably) be dressed up.

00001566_08.jpg

00001566_07.jpg

00001566_09.jpg00001566_10.jpg

00001566_11.jpg

00001566_13.jpg

• Like 2

New trailer of the Mario & Sonic game.

Call me unimpressed, and honestly, both games look meh. Though if they had Fire Emblem or Zelda characters involved, especially with archery and fencing, then maybe this might be worth a look, but otherwise, nothing special.

Though just for some fun, #MiraitowaforSmash (

LinkParkFan - I so agree that these games would be better if Nintendo opened up their entire catalog of characters. Instead we get Amy Rose and Robotnik. Bummer. But I still enjoy them and will buy Tokyo 2020. One cool thing is the blink-and-you'll-miss-it switch to retro graphics at 0:32 in the first Sonic&Mario video above. What's really neat is that the livery switches to Tokyo 1964. I really hope they make that a whole mode and not just a quick visual gag. 

As we near the one year to go countdown, the stadium was open to the press once again.

lND7TtX.jpg

o3EGhft.jpg

SD2n0RQ.jpg

9.jpg?1

Volunteers uniforms were unveiled

• Like 1

One year to go. It seems it was yesterday when the 2013 IOC session picked Tokyo as the host. The countdown vid has some small sneak peaks of how the venues would be dressed up outside, as well for the street banners.

More videos and demos of the official games came out around the last weeks, so I took some new screenshots. Based on what we've also seen in the videos released by Tokyo2020, seems this is legit how the venues will be dressed up.

3zizNIA.png

AV9z34y.png

B24VujV.png

CM0C3ch.png

u21TkPj.png

KsYCE26.png

fZpxaQ7.png

kT4FQtt.png

Moe58Uz.png

n5ARccp.png

hfVzbhv.png

yUeQLZG.png

aBzPEcs.png

MtSJgSJ.png

wPISsAE.png

VLiLI3n.png

3oPeayd.png

HHCY0yR.png

SeAPsQ6.png

L1oY8l6.png

Some of those characters look a lot like Miis...are both official games coming to the Switch?

2 hours ago, yoshi said:

Some of those characters look a lot like Miis...are both official games coming to the Switch?

They are. Also Miraitowa will be playable for one of the games (well, at least a guy in a costume that is :lol:)

miraitowa-e1563441287501.jpg

Mangaka artists Naoki Urasawa and Hirohiko Araki were chosen to do the posters for the Olympics and Paralympics, respectively.

https://natalie.mu/comic/news/341777

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1156168360364847104

Naoki Urasawa is known for his work in Monster, Yawara and 20th Century Boys. He also has experience doing some sport manga such as Yawara and Happy, so I believe he was a good pick for it (their manga Yawara is about a young judoca who trains to participate in the 1992 Olympics)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yawara!

Hirohiko Araki is known for being the creator of Jojo Bizarre Adventure. He also worked in the past to make a poster for the Japan National Sports Festival.

Some of their works:

Naoki Urasawa:

DuCmZnPU0AAFycW.jpg

NEOBK-1598333.jpg

b048f2956dbbd9e56101f17f2c615d02.jpg

Hirohiko Araki:

1-1-.jpg

tumblr_oscwrioEho1tqvsfso1_500.jpg

599c074ba68f4e83e8470295083857e7.jpg

hirohiko-araki-gucci-manga-01.jpg

1902c8abe219dfbfb67184483a114c61.jpg

Now that 2020 is out in Japan, there are a lot of videos up on youtube. Can't say I'm loving the blue on blue on blue with simple white logo look. Hopefully it will be better in person.