Tokyo 2020 Look of the Games

phandrosis

The Tokyo Tatsumi International Swimming Center only seats 3,600 people. That's why they had to build something new.

It's easy to say that they should use smaller venues. But there's a 100% chance that the same media people criticizing them for building large venues would also criticize them if they used a smaller venue and there were no seats for the media, athletes, athletes family, volunteers and fans from the host country.

21 hours ago, Nacre said:

The Tokyo Tatsumi International Swimming Center only seats 3,600 people. That's why they had to build something new.

It's easy to say that they should use smaller venues. But there's a 100% chance that the same media people criticizing them for building large venues would also criticize them if they used a smaller venue and there were no seats for the media, athletes, athletes family, volunteers and fans from the host country.

Just to clarify.. I was sharing the tweet more in the "look of the games" mode rather than to offer up commentary on how or why it got built.  There's another tweet in response that makes it clear it was absolutely Japan's decision to build the venue, not something they were forced into or to criticize that decision

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Blue Impulse to skywrite Olympic rings on opening day of games

The Air Self-Defense Force’s Blue Impulse aerobatics team is set to trace five Olympic rings in the sky with colored smoke on the day the Tokyo Olympics open next month, officials familiar with the planning said Monday.

The team’s fighter jets are expected to perform a flyover in the skies around the capital’s National Stadium, where the Olympic opening ceremony will be held on July 23, making circular smoke trails in blue, yellow, black, green and red.

Blue Impulse, based at the Air Self-Defense Force Matsushima base in Higashimatsushima, Miyagi Prefecture, gave similar performances at the opening ceremonies of the 1964 Tokyo Olympics and the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics.

The aerobatics team also took to the skies in March last year to mark the arrival of the Tokyo Summer Games’ flame from Greece and drew a cherry blossom in the sky with white smoke to mark the opening of the Rugby World Cup hosted by Japan in September 2019.

Last May, the team performed a flyover over central Tokyo in a show of respect to the health care workers who have been at the forefront of the battle against the coronavirus pandemic.

Date:June 21,2021

news source:The Japan Times

Link to this article:https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/06/21/national/blue-impulse-olympic-rings/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, having seen a fair bit of the branding now, best I can say is the look is “workmanlike”. It’s doing the job, but hardly particularly attractive or inspired. And I don’t think that’s something that can be chalked up to covid. From right back to the initial logo probs, I don’t think they ever really hit the mark for a good visual identity for the games. 

Edited by Sir Rols

Re the medals podia, I don't like them.  Basalt black?  Is that how their Bento boxes are made?  I mean, how many shades of black can there be?  And does the black convey the "sad" circumstances under which these Games are being held?  

And the bouquets?  What happened to the chrysanthemums, the national flower of Japan?  Or cherry blossoms?  But I guess there's a little tribute to Van Gogh with mini-sunflowers!!  Go Vincent!!  

See the source image

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

And the bouquets?  What happened to the chrysanthemums, the national flower of Japan?  Or cherry blossoms?  But I guess there's a little tribute to Van Gogh with mini-sunflowers!!  Go Vincent!!  

See the source image

Cherry blossoms only bloom in Spring during some days. Sunflower is much more appropiate and representing of a summer event.

• Thanks 1

Generally, chrysanthemums are flowers to serve in the coffin for the dead  in funeral so they are not suitable for bouquets. It's like saying "eternal adieu" to athletes. A big chrysanthemum looks great though.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 12:46 PM, Quaker2001 said:

Sadly with no fans this venue was a complete waste of money. The only legacy will be the pool's themselves. Paris rightly recognized this scrapping their aquatics center by moving swimming to La Defense Arena

58 minutes ago, stryker said:

Sadly with no fans this venue was a complete waste of money. The only legacy will be the pool's themselves. Paris rightly recognized this scrapping their aquatics center by moving swimming to La Defense Arena

But all the cost-cutting really leaves one with a thrift-shop Games; nothing to write home about.  Like, who will remember repurposed, mediocre venues?  You can put lipstick on  pig but it will still be a pig.