Olympics cauldron

Hello everybody, fantomex from France.

you may think I'm strange, but as an Olympic fan, when I'am in an olympic city, I like to see the cauldron.

I wanted to make a "where can i see" list of cauldron, but there is some I'm not sure at all, so maybe you can help me :) (in green: the ones i have seen ; red, no idea where can it be seen)

2016 - Rio : I don't know if the cauldron (not the one in the stadium) will stay in rio streets, but it's opposite to the 19th century neoclassical church of Candelaria in the huge olympic boulevard

2014 - Sochi :Apparently still in the olympic park (giant cauldron)

2012 - London : Apprently we can see a part of it at museum of london

2010 - Vancouver : On the waterfront. It's a fountain.

2008 - Pékin : Close to the "Nest stadium" as a sculpture (not on the roof anymore).

2006 - Torino : Outside the olympic stadium. Can be seen from outside.

2004 - Athens : Part of the stadium. Can be ssen from outside.

2002 - Salt Lake :The tower and cauldron is still on display (rice-eccles stadium).

2000 - Sydney :On the olympic park. It's now a fountain.

1998 - Nagano :In the park of Nagano Olympic stadium.

1996 - Atlanta : The cauldron and tower are in a parking lot just off Turner Field.

1994 - Lillehammer: On the "ski-jump base" (lysgards)

1992 - Barcelona :Attached to the stadium at Montjuic.

Albertville : In the park where the stadium used to be (Halle olympique).

1988 - Calgary : ????

Seoul : ???? (still on the stadium according to google earth)

1984 - Los Angles : still atop the central arch.

Sarajevo : ????

1980 - Lake Placid's is still in place (was restored in 2008),

Moscow : has been restored for the 30th anniversary and now in a park close to stadium

1976 - Innsbruck's are all still in place (with a third added and used for the 2012 WYOGs),

Montreal : just outside the stadium.

1972 - Munich: in a corner of the Olympia park.

Sapporo : ????          

1968 - Mexico's is still in the stadium.

Grenoble : Now in Parc Paul Mistral (it's now a foutain)

1964 - Tokyo : as the stadium is rebuilt, the cauldron is now in the city of  Ishinomaki, a northeastern Japan city heavily damaged by the March 2011 earthquake

Innsbruck : still in place (as the one of 1972)

1960 : Rome : ?????

Squaw valley : ????

1956 - Melbourne's is in the National Sport Museum.

Cortina d'Ampezzo : ?????

1952 - Helsinki : Not sur but still on the roof of the stadium

Oslo : ????

1948 - London : Not sure but maybe in a museum at Wembley.

Saint Moritz  : ?????

1936 - Berlin : at Olympic Stadium.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen  : ????? (first cauldron for winter olympic games)

1932 - L.A : see 1984 above.

1928 - Amsterdam : still atop the tower at the Amsterdam stadium.

• 1 year later...

The 1980 Lake placid Olympic cauldron is still lighted for the duration of every winter Olympic games since 1980 and is lighted for the annual Empire State Winter Games.  It's not much compared to the massive blowtorch we saw at Sochi and which must have been visible from the Moon, but it' s still there and still used.

On 29/08/2016 at 1:20 PM, fantomex said:

Yes, the 2012 Cauldron gets a room to itself in the Museum of London, with all sorts of interesting displays.

And here's where you can find the 1948 one at Wembley ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imhODxRz8eg

[You'll need to click the link because the YouTube uploader has forbidden embedding of the video]

Here's my article in the ISOH Journal on the Winter Games cauldrons:  http://isoh.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/241.pdf 

Same on the Summer cauldrons:  

Oops.  Here's the correct link for the Summer cauldrons:  http://isoh.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/294.pdf    (the bit of Zaha Hadid and the old Tokyo Stadium design I know is wrong and put in incorrectly by the Journal editor.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Calgary has multiple cauldrons. The one that was seen during the opening and closing ceremony is still at the north end of McMahon stadium. There is the cauldron on top of the Calgary tower which is fired up anytime we win a gold medal at both the winter and summer Olympics. It's also fired-up on other special occasions like remembrance day and events such as the 100th anniversary of the Calgary Stampede a few years ago. There are also a few mini cauldrons at the venues; one at the Olympic Oval, one at Canada Olympic Park in the flags plaza, and one out in Canmore at the Nordic Centre. The one at Canada Olympic Park is lit every Olympics and stays on for the 2 weeks. It seems they always get Robyn Ainsworth to light it - she was the girl that lit the McMahon Stadium cauldron during the opening ceremonies back in 88. I know she lit it again this year. I got a photo of it a couple weekends ago.

On 2/27/2018 at 12:22 AM, Trylon said:

Blythe Arena at Squaw Valley collapsed under heavy snow in 1982 and the ski jumps fell into disrepair.  I find no reference to the cauldron but it appears it is long gone.  Very little remains other than a part of a skiing sculpture and a memorial plaque listing medal winners. 

Nope, the SQ 1960 cauldron, a simple bowl, is still there in front of what's left of the Wall of Nations. 

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 7:20 AM, fantomex said:

Hello everybody, fantomex from France.

you may think I'm strange, but as an Olympic fan, when I'am in an olympic city, I like to see the cauldron.

I wanted to make a "where can i see" list of cauldron, but there is some I'm not sure at all, so maybe you can help me :) (in green: the ones i have seen ; red, no idea where can it be seen)

2016 - Rio : I don't know if the cauldron (not the one in the stadium) will stay in rio streets, but it's opposite to the 19th century neoclassical church of Candelaria in the huge olympic boulevard

2014 - Sochi :Apparently still in the olympic park (giant cauldron)

2010 - Vancouver : On the waterfront. It's a fountain.

2008 - Pékin : Close to the "Nest stadium" as a sculpture (not on the roof anymore).

2006 - Torino : Outside the olympic stadium. Can be seen from outside.

2004 - Athens : Part of the stadium. Can be ssen from outside.

2002 - Salt Lake :The tower and cauldron is still on display (rice-eccles stadium).

2000 - Sydney :On the olympic park. It's now a fountain.

1998 - Nagano :In the park of Nagano Olympic stadium.

1996 - Atlanta : The cauldron and tower are in a parking lot just off Turner Field.

1994 - Lillehammer: On the "ski-jump base" (lysgards)

1992 - Barcelona :Attached to the stadium at Montjuic.

Albertville : In the park where the stadium used to be (Halle olympique).

1988 - Calgary : ????

Seoul : ???? (still on the stadium according to google earth)

1984 - Los Angles : still atop the central arch.

Sarajevo : ????

1980 - Lake Placid's is still in place (was restored in 2008),

Moscow : has been restored for the 30th anniversary and now in a park close to stadium

1976 - Innsbruck's are all still in place (with a third added and used for the 2012 WYOGs),

Montreal : just outside the stadium.

1972 - Munich: in a corner of the Olympia park.

Sapporo : ????          

1968 - Mexico's is still in the stadium.

Grenoble : Now in Parc Paul Mistral (it's now a foutain)

1964 - Tokyo : as the stadium is rebuilt, the cauldron is now in the city of  Ishinomaki, a northeastern Japan city heavily damaged by the March 2011 earthquake

Innsbruck : still in place (as the one of 1972)

1960 : Rome : ?????

Squaw valley : ????

1956 - Melbourne's is in the National Sport Museum.

Cortina d'Ampezzo : ?????

1952 - Helsinki : Not sur but still on the roof of the stadium

Oslo : ????

Saint Moritz  : ?????

1936 - Berlin : at Olympic Stadium.

Garmisch-Partenkirchen  : ????? (first cauldron for winter olympic games)

1932 - L.A : see 1984 above.

1928 - Amsterdam : still atop the tower at the Amsterdam stadium.

I also visit Olympic venues and try to find the cauldrons each time I go to an Olympic city. Shame that Moscow turned their beautiful cauldron into rubble. About Seoul's cauldron, I can tell you is still on place at Jamsil Stadium. In 2015 during my visit in both Koreas, I definitely had to go to Jamsil, in that time the stadium was close because there was going to be a rock event, so I went to the Olympic museum just by the same stadium wing were the cauldron is, so the man from the museum took me to the field and invited me to get on the cauldron lift. For me that was great, and the old Korean museum man was really please shooting pics from every angle. The cauldron, by the way, stands and looks proudly beautiful! The one from Tokyo 64 I saw it during my visit to Nagano 1998 Olympics, but three years ago, I went back to where they are building the new stadium, but nobody could tell me what happened to the cauldron.

The one from Rome 60 is placed around the Stadium, but it is quite small that is nearly invisible, just like the one in Munich. It was hidden by bushes. The one in Sarajevo was destroyed.

Stadia built specially for the Olympics keep their cauldrons as part of the building itself, except for Luzhniki. WTF were the Russians thinking about! For Olympic fans like us, each time we visit Olympic cities, the cauldrons are nearly part of the sightseeing tour. Olympic cities must keep those Olympic ornaments intact.

The Sarajevo 1984 Cauldron is still in place in Kosevo Stadium (now named Asim Ferhatović Hase) as can be seen in this photo on Wikipedia:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Asim_Ferhatovic_Hase.jpg

I could not determine if the smaller cauldron used during the closing ceremony in Zetra Arena still exists or not.  Likely not, as the arena was heavily damaged during the war.

Also, according to Snowball's Chance: The Story of the 1960 Olympic Winter Games by David C. Antonucci  "The (Squaw Valley) Ski Corp. participated in relocation of the Tower of Nations and Olympic flame cauldron to the entrance of the valley to serve as a beacon reminding passersby of the events that occurred in the valley beyond." The cauldron and tower as they appear today can be seen in this photo on Wikipedia:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Squaw_Valley_entrance_sign_left.jpg

6 hours ago, panamfan said:

The Sarajevo 1984 Cauldron is still in place in Kosevo Stadium (now named Asim Ferhatović Hase) as can be seen in this photo on Wikipedia:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Asim_Ferhatovic_Hase.jpg

I could not determine if the smaller cauldron used during the closing ceremony in Zetra Arena still exists or not.  Likely not, as the arena was heavily damaged during the war.

Also, according to Snowball's Chance: The Story of the 1960 Olympic Winter Games by David C. Antonucci  "The (Squaw Valley) Ski Corp. participated in relocation of the Tower of Nations and Olympic flame cauldron to the entrance of the valley to serve as a beacon reminding passersby of the events that occurred in the valley beyond." The cauldron and tower as they appear today can be seen in this photo on Wikipedia:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Squaw_Valley_entrance_sign_left.jpg

I don't know where Trylon got all his mis-info.  My articles report the whereabouts of the Olympic caldera today.  

Just for the record there is one error in the articles about the cauldrons.  The winter games article states that a separate cauldron was lit indoors for the closing ceremony from 1964-1984.  This is not entirely correct as can be seen in the official reports.  In Grenoble 1968, Lake Placid 1980, and Sarajevo 1984 a separate indoor cauldron was used.  Grenoble's was lit at the beginning of the ceremony (ala Vancouver 2010) and Lake Placid and Sarajevo's were lit out of sight before the ceremony began.  But at Innsbruck in 1964 and 1976 and Sapporo in 1976 no indoor cauldron was used.  Instead, the outdoor cauldron (cauldrons in 1976) was projected on a large screen on the wall of the arena via a live television picture so that the flame could be seen during the indoor closing ceremony.  The Innsbruck screen was on the end wall, while the Sapporo screen was mounted at the very top of the arena seating area near the roof aligned with the center red line of the hockey rink.

2 hours ago, panamfan said:

Just for the record there is one error in the articles about the cauldrons.  The winter games article states that a separate cauldron was lit indoors for the closing ceremony from 1964-1984.  This is not entirely correct as can be seen in the official reports.  In Grenoble 1968, Lake Placid 1980, and Sarajevo 1984 a separate indoor cauldron was used.  Grenoble's was lit at the beginning of the ceremony (ala Vancouver 2010) and Lake Placid and Sarajevo's were lit out of sight before the ceremony began.  But at Innsbruck in 1964 and 1976 and Sapporo in 1976 no indoor cauldron was used.  Instead, the outdoor cauldron (cauldrons in 1976) was projected on a large screen on the wall of the arena via a live television picture so that the flame could be seen during the indoor closing ceremony.  The Innsbruck screen was on the end wall, while the Sapporo screen was mounted at the very top of the arena seating area near the roof aligned with the center red line of the hockey rink.

Thanks; good to know.   I don't know if and when an ERRATUM can be made.  The editor of the Journal is an old, retired man -- and ISOH members, like the IOC, only serve as volunteers.  No one gets paid.  So, if no one feels like making a correction; then it isn't made.  (Altho the IOC has some 600 paid staffers.  But David Wallachinsky, author of the Complete Books, has discontinued doing them because (1) it's just too voluminous to include everything in one volume + (2) the amount of re-ordered new medalists caused by the massive Russian dopings in London, Sochi, would  be a huge nightmare  to put together.  Let the IOC's paid staffers deal with it. 

Edited by baron-pierreIV

6 hours ago, spiele said:

Sadly only part of Sydney cauldron still exists - the pylon has been lost :(  its just the dish itself . 

I think the dish is all that matters, especially in the context of its present setting.  Besides, the world first saw it lit just as the dish when it arose from the water.  So I wouldn't lament the loss of the pylon.  Many of the other cauldrons with extra, complicated mechanisms have been stripped to their bare bones in their present iteration. 

Its way more impressive w the podium it was designed to sit on. The elegant taper then flair, and the strong vertical rhythm clad in chrome plates was a perfect compliment to the bowl. Most symmetrical "bowl/podium" cauldrons before it were unimpressive due to either size, material, proportion, or just awkward design. The 2000 bowl w it's intended podium is a complete design that proved the classic bowl/podium has enduring relevance and potential.

Eliminating and destroying the integral podium component of the design after the games would be unimaginable if it didn't actually happen. Discarding the podium is like what Moscow did, but it's nonthreatening Australia so like everything they get a pass.

385px-141100_-_Paralympic_Flame_cauldron 157563305.jpg

sydney_cauldron2-540x370.jpg

SYDNEY-OLYMPIC-GAMES-CAULDRON-08-copy.jp

....the awkward less powerful result. a mediocre end to a memorable and innovative cauldron.

03f72d7b9f44516bf77754d2277b872d.jpeg?re

Edited by paul

/\/\  I like it better with the water deal.  It retains Ric Birch's original statement of the water-fire dichotomy.  With the pylon, it's just another Space Needle, and obviously, it would overpower the setting and the Stadium.  Also, code-wise, it may not meet the requirements.  It's fine as it is.