Perhaps the Paras should run the month before the Olympics.

I don't know how they could've done it in Sochi or RIo, or even London-  given how those towns were literally sprinting to the finish line to be ready for the Olympic Games.  If the venues or events hadn't been ready, I'm sure the IPC would've felt "guinea pigged".

The upside is that the only competition would be regular-season baseball.  

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

oh, mikey, why would you even want to torture yourself like that? i'll give you the highlights: female athletes are only successful because of a man, ryan lochte is just a "kid", and despite high

"hey, they only called those female athletes useless whores because it makes them more money. they're a business, you can't argue with that." while ignoring the fact that ratings weren't all that

I really didn't find that many flaws with their daytime show, or late night.  It's the prime time that needs more tweaking.

The Paralympics are definitely an afterthought, or a no thought, in the US. I did, however, have a co-worker ask me on Thursday whether I had watched the opening ceremony of the Special Olympics the previous night. He also thought the torchbearer shouldn't have had to go up so many ramps to light the cauldron. That's a perfect example of the lack of understanding many people have about para-sports.  No way NBC can justify taking up prime network time to show an event that people have trouble appreciating. Anything that is not first-rate need not apply. That's why the XFL, Arena Football, and the CFL (remember they stopped showing the games after a few weeks during the 1982 players strike) failed on NBC.

3 hours ago, Barcelona_'92 said:

NBCSN's coverage of the Paralympic opening ceremony from 7-10pm Eastern on Wednesday drew 125,000 viewers.  Their NASCAR coverage routinely draws over 3 million viewers.  Even Premier League games at 6am draw more than 125,000.  That's why most of the Paralympic coverage is in the afternoon and overnight.  NBCSN is not going to pre-empt it's other programming that draws 20 times as many viewers.

Pathetic! The ceremony went on until about 2am in the UK, and still managed to average 1.3 million viewers (which would scale up to 6.5 million with a population of 320 million).

4 hours ago, Quaker2001 said:

Good for the UK.  I know they have a deeper connection with the Paralympics than most countries, although I am surprised to hear that about the TV ratings.  Still think that's the exception rather than the rule.  The problem here with an idea of a "fun revisit to the Olympics" is that the Olympics are an all-encompassing spectacle that last more than 2 weeks.  Easier to sell that in August than it is in early September where there is a lot more sports action going on here to compete for viewers' attention.  And a lot more people are going to be interested in football (American football, that is) than the Paralympics.

This year's Olympics and Paralympics are over a week later than 2012's (probably because they're in Rio's winter). In theory, the Paralympics could be made to finish before the NFL season started.

3 hours ago, A-Money1983 said:

Anything is a tough sell going up against football and MLB pennant races.  Sydney was one of the most-successful Olympic Games ever, but ratings here in the States were a struggle for those very reasons.

A couple of wishful thoughts are:

A.  More of the coverage can air on NBC.  Maybe not on Thursday or Sunday nights, but a one-hour evening show during the week can suffice.

B.  The NBCSN coverage can run at better times of the night.  Airing 12-5 a.m. is great for recording and fast-forwarding through in the morning before work.  

However, I won't complain since it's far more available than it was four years ago.  The Paras seem to do well on social media, and pick up more buzz than the low-cost shows on NBCSN (auto auctions, fishing, Red Bull Signature Series)- partially due to the brevity, similar to the OG.

NBC isn't about to use primetime on the Paralympics.  There's no chance of that happening.  Most of the days there is overnight coverage, it's in addition to afternoon and evening coverage.

Perhaps the Paras should run the month before the Olympics.

I don't know how they could've done it in Sochi or RIo, or even London-  given how those towns were literally sprinting to the finish line to be ready for the Olympic Games.  If the venues or events hadn't been ready, I'm sure the IPC would've felt "guinea pigged".

The upside is that the only competition would be regular-season baseball.  

It's been brought up before, but I don't think the IOC or the IPC wants that arrangement.  The Paralympics don't want to serve as an appetizer to the main course or else they'd get totally lost, and plus it would be that much harder to recruit all the support personnel needed for both

4 minutes ago, A-Money1983 said:

Interesting that football is so hard for any other sporting event to compete with here in the United States, but EPL seems to be no threat to people watching the Paralympics in Great Britain!

Don't forget, 60 minutes of American football takes up much, much, much more time than 90 minutes of The Beautiful Game.

Interesting that football is so hard for any other sporting event to compete with here in the United States, but EPL seems to be no threat to people watching the Paralympics in Great Britain!

How many football games of consequence are out there (NFL and college, not to mention all of baseball still going on) in comparison to football going on in the UK.  I know it's a lot more than just the EPL, but I'm gonna guess the volume doesn't even come close to comparing.

5 hours ago, zekekelso said:

We Americans understand the need for beer-fetching and bathroom breaks in our sports. 

The former problem is easily solved with a coolbag (or a mini-fridge if you want to be a show-off); as for the latter- if the players can develop extraordinary stamina and skills, surely the least the couch-potato viewers can do is develop basic bladder-control !

Laughing All the Way to the Bank: Rio Olympics Make NBC $250 Million Richer

Not offering any commentary here other than to question whether or not that is actually true, particularly the part of the article that says " Mr. Burke noted that the profit marked a stark contrast versus the NBC-produced Olympics of yesteryear, when the network would lose as much as $200 million on the 17-day event."  Yea, that happened once and only once.  But this is what they're claiming.

1 hour ago, A-Money1983 said:

Is this the first Paralympics to receive mass coverage here in the States.

Im thinking the '96 Paras aired on TBS/TNT, due to Turner's Atlanta connection, but I can't find anything on Google.

David Rowe's book "Sport, Culture & Media: The Unruly Trinity" (2003, page 209) claims that only 4 hours of the 1996 Paralympics were broadcast in the USA.

The "network partner" that year was CBS.

6 hours ago, A-Money1983 said:

Is this the first Paralympics to receive mass coverage here in the States.

Im thinking the '96 Paras aired on TBS/TNT, due to Turner's Atlanta connection, but I can't find anything on Google.

http://lmgtfy.com/

Did you try typing in "1996 Paralympics TV Coverage"  That gave me this (another book that references CBS in addition to the one JMark mentioned).. The Olympic Games Explained

Also this little gem from Youtube..

And to answer your last question.. yes, this is the first Paralympics to get broader coverage

I could totally see myself leaving my VHS tape in EP for the four-hour show.  For CBS, it was also when they didn't have NFL coverage and had the next Olympics Games approaching.  

Even with a four-hour show, it's almost parallel to the hugely-successful London Paralympics received here 16 years later.  Even though it's playing at odd hours, I do think they answered the market demands and are increasing their coverage exponentially.  

Honestly, I heard very little about the Paras before May of 2012.

That Ross Perot sighting in the story was rather random!

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Barcelona_'92 said:

After all of the publicity about the decline in viewership for NBC's Rio coverage, it's interesting to see that NFL ratings are down by about the same percentage as the Olympics:

https://t.co/Y6fR4a0TRf

I think the Emmys were down as well this year, so it seems like there is a trend across the board that live events are down.  It's been suggested that the election is the reason since more people are following the election trainwreck than usual and other things are getting hurt as a result.  Remember also that ratings for the trials were down as well.  Not to absolve NBC of some bad decision making that probably hurt their cause, there's a lot of things out of their control that haven't helped matters.

1 hour ago, Quaker2001 said:

I think the Emmys were down as well this year, so it seems like there is a trend across the board that live events are down.  It's been suggested that the election is the reason since more people are following the election trainwreck than usual and other things are getting hurt as a result.  Remember also that ratings for the trials were down as well.  Not to absolve NBC of some bad decision making that probably hurt their cause, there's a lot of things out of their control that haven't helped matters.

Aside from this Monday's NFL game, I don't think the election is to blame for the drop in ratings since election coverage hasn't really overlapped with any of the other major events.  I think we've reached the point where enough people have dropped cable that it is having a measurable impact on the ratings for live sports.  I read today that ESPN is now down under 90 million households, whereas 5 years ago they were in almost 100 million.  Much of the data that I've seen suggests that when people drop cable, they're not still using an antenna to pick up the broadcast networks.  They either watch it online, or if it's not available easily and freely online (i.e., no authentication), they don't watch at all.  There's still a lot of work to be done to capture the streaming-only audience, and I think the industry as a whole is behind the 8-ball on this.

I wholeheartedly agree this has much to do with the overall backlash of cable-cutting with the likes of the ESPN juggernaut charging more money to the cable/satellite operaters and people getting channels they don't want or watch as it is with the transition towards on-the-go technology for younger customers, who on average don't have the same amount of capital as their elders. No doubt this is a widespread trend. Consequently as Barcelona_'92 just points out, they would prefer if it's more freely accessible for viewing. There's also a perception in the paradox of having too much choices for media consumers. For me personally, I don't view it this way because I can navigate my way, something lots of them don't necessarily do, through all that and know what I want with my diverse interests. Irrespective of the piracy concerns, the time has come for the older media structure that has worked statically well for decades with changes here and there to undergo a significant change to reflect these rapid and emerging media consumption realities because of the alternative technology access--and yes, advertisers must adjust to this obviously. As I said before, the long run from here on out the present and dominant industry structure won't work with us young people's habits. Never mind continue obtaining the desired demographics and "curating" for NBC proper Olympic broadcast programming segments and coming out with the advertising profits out of Rio De Janeiro despite a far more favorable time zone. 

12 hours ago, Barcelona_'92 said:

Aside from this Monday's NFL game, I don't think the election is to blame for the drop in ratings since election coverage hasn't really overlapped with any of the other major events.  I think we've reached the point where enough people have dropped cable that it is having a measurable impact on the ratings for live sports.  I read today that ESPN is now down under 90 million households, whereas 5 years ago they were in almost 100 million.  Much of the data that I've seen suggests that when people drop cable, they're not still using an antenna to pick up the broadcast networks.  They either watch it online, or if it's not available easily and freely online (i.e., no authentication), they don't watch at all.  There's still a lot of work to be done to capture the streaming-only audience, and I think the industry as a whole is behind the 8-ball on this.

It's not just the 1 football game though.  As you noted, it's football ratings across the board that have dropped this year.  Granted that's all relative to last year where ratings were as high as ever, but this is drop-off following steadily high ratings the past few years.  If the cord cutters were responsible for the drop, we would probably have seen a gradual decline rather than this 1 year drop-off.  ESPN's ratings I would expect to drop especially since they're losing households and yes, cord cutters likely aren't watching much broadcast TV anyway.  But we're still talking about a lot of events that had pretty steady numbers.  And if you don't think the election is to blame, why did those numbers reach levels they haven't seen in a generation?  It's a pretty sizable increase over 2012.  I still think there's some credence to the idea that increase interest in this election cycle has drawn attention away from other events.  Time will tell.