Rio 2016 Paralympic Opening Ceremony Live Chat

Finallie song bringing everyone out onto the floor...just magical.

Love the Cauldron!

We are underway.

Thank you Brazilian magic...always making something out of almost nothing.

Well done Brazil

10 out of 10...best Paralympic Opening ever...And even beats many Olympic Openings in my lifetime as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alexjc said:

Finallie song bringing everyone out onto the floor...just magical.

Love the Cauldron!

We are underway.

Thank you Brazilian magic...always making something out of almost nothing.

Well done Brazil

10 out of 10...best Paralympic Opening ever...And even beats many Olympic Openings in my lifetime as well.

Totally agree! Glad I was off today so I could watch this live. And thank you TVNZ for showing this live on DUKE. I missed out during the Olympics because I don't have Sky

Wonderful ceremony S2

Rio Paralympics 2016: Brazil president booed at opening ceremony

Brazilian president Michel Temer was booed as the 2016 Paralympic Games opened in Rio de Janeiro to a backdrop of colour, music and a powerful message of inclusivity.

Thousands of performers were involved either side of the two-hour procession of competing countries at the Maracana.

Competition begins on Thursday, when Britain's Dame Sarah Storey can become the most successful female Paralympian.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/disability-sport/37298448

:D

Do you know what's even more awesome? Many of those volunteers participating in the opening ceremony were physically impaired and, other than the obvious wheelchair bound ones,  we never noticed. I just read on BBC. Many of those dancers were blind, mute, or had some kind of syndrome. We never noticed. Inspiring!!

Well, I just finished watching NBC's tape-delayed broadcast of the Rio Paralympics Opening Ceremony on their NBC Sports Network cable channel.  As usual, NBC omitted the OC President's Speech and the Oaths - and their annoyingly talkative announcers at least managed to shut up during the entire Paralympic Anthem, but I must say, that the ceremony was much better than the Rio Olympic Opening Ceremony.  I enjoyed it immensely, my favorites being Amy Purdy's dance and the beating heart made by the puzzle pieces.  And I must say the cauldron, although the same as the Olympic cauldron, actually looked a lot nicer this time for some reason.  And how bad did everyone feel when that Brazilian woman torchbearer with her handicap cane did a face plant with the Paralympic Torch?  As Guido Caroli proudly stated after he did a similar face plant with the Olympic Torch in Cortina in 1956 - "At least the flame did not go out!"  And, at least the poor woman was not injured.  The pouring rain probably did not help tonight as the artificial surface in the stadium probably became very slick.

6 hours ago, gamesnz said:

Though NZ has already entered the stadium, I'm still watching. There's a lot of happiness there. Great to see how Brazilians are supporting everyone. The way they clapped for Portugal, even though today they commemorate their Independence Day from Portuguse domination, all of that shows that a harmonic present and the future is possible. Well done Brazilians.

6 hours ago, Alexjc said:

As we do with UK. Strong cultural ties and language a big factor.

To tell the truth I feel that the language they speak in Portugal is very different from what we speak here. We don't have a hate relationship because the history of our independence. Not many bloody conflicts was necessary.

In 1808 the king of Portugal had to flee to Brazil because the invasion of the troops of Napoleão Bonaparte to Portugal. So the city of Rio has became the capital of the kingdom of Portugal AND Brazil. It's funny because is the only example in the history that the colony became more important than the country in Europe. Eventualy the british army managed to defeat the french and freed Portugal, so the envious people from Portugal court wanted the return of the capital to Europe. The King returned but left his son Pedro to be the Regent of Brazil. The europeans was not satisfied and wanted Brazil to return to the condition of colony where they would impose restrictions with our trade with Britain and could continue to explore our riches. This was the end of the kingdom of Portugal AND Brazil. The europeans had sent a ship to Brazil with orders to bring back the prince and his family to Portugal. But Pedro said that would not leave his people and stayed. He sent the message: "Independence or death". Pedro was not a commoner or a native. He knew that the king would not declare war against his own son and would prefer to see the new country to continue to be ruled by the family blood. The people was also at his side. One by one the states of Brazil declared aliance with the new empire after few fights. The resistence trops gave up and fleed to Portugal but instead of a counter attack (our recent formed army would be big but was not prepared for a war) the king proposed a agreement in 1825. Portugal took all our money and we got our freedom and also a giant debt with great britain. We became free but poor lol

Lol this was a very small summary but a big reply. Anyway, we feel like brothers. They are free to enter here and even have some common rights like we brazilians. I believe I can have the same treatment in Portugal but I'm not interested to go there. I have other places in Europe where I want to visit first.

Catching up with people this evening (NZ time). Either bragged on about the OC or wished they had watched it.

And those that did pretty much agree it was way better than the Olympic Opening.

Also proves you can make a lot out of very little... Take note Tokyo.

Edited by Alexjc

6 hours ago, luizfernandobr45 said:

BEST PARALYMPIC CEREMONY EVER

Can you control the weather? So... This is all, folks!  

Beijing would have controlled the weather- but the rain was so heavy towards the end of the ceremony that the splashes caught the light, and ended up adding to the beauty of the occasion !

I was against the idea to have an exclusive ceremony for the paralympics. I don't understand why the paralympic athletes don't feel represented by the olympic flame. Why they need another flame? But that ceremony was a nice way to celebrate our independence day. I had enjoyed a lot.