13 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Are you not disappointed with Brazil's performance? I thought Brazil under preformed in a lot of sports (judo and team sports comes to mind) 

Winnging the "big" ones - football, volleyball - plus the sentimental one - Rafaela Silva - really helps. 

Here's some silly medal total stats that I picked up off the interweb thingy...

Super States.

British Commonwealth - 396

European Union (brexit) - 258

UN remander - 320 

N.A.T.O - 443

First spoken Language Sphere of influences

Anglo - 288

Franco - 65 (87 incl Canada)

Latino - 103

Union Jack in Flag - 115

There are some bored statistics workers out there.

15 hours ago, Faster said:

How was Canada a disappointment? Canadians won 1 gold in London. 4 in Rio. 18 medals in London, 22 in Rio. Things happened that haven't happened in over two decades like gold medals in swimming and athletics. First Canadian to defend an Olympic title. First time in 70+ years Canada won multiple team sport medals. Canada's goal was top 12 for total medals. They finished 10th. Beating Cuba and Korea for the first time in forever. These Games are considered hugely successful here.

So the disappointment of London was even bigger. I don't remember well but Canada used to finish the games ahead of Brazil, close to top 10. Anyway, when you host some important event you expect some improvement in the next olympics. Rio 2007 helped us in Beijing.

6 hours ago, intoronto said:

Are you not disappointed with Brazil's performance? I thought Brazil under preformed in a lot of sports (judo and team sports comes to mind) 

Although its our record, yes. Not because judo, we had 3 medals in this sport. But swiming is the biggest disappointment. I was also expecting more medals from the women in football and volleyball (beach and indoor).

3 hours ago, Bezzi said:

So the disappointment of London was even bigger. I don't remember well but Canada used to finish the games ahead of Brazil, close to top 10. Anyway, when you host some important event you expect some improvement in the next olympics. Rio 2007 helped us in Beijing.

Although its our record, yes. Not because judo, we had 3 medals in this sport. But swiming is the biggest disappointment. I was also expecting more medals from the women in football and volleyball (beach and indoor).

These were arguably Canada's best games. 22 medals ties the most medals in a non-boycotted games and the 4 golds would put it ahead of the three (in Atlanta, where Canada also won 22 medals). Canada's team is extremely young. From London to Rio, a lot of Canada's medalists retired, only two have announced their retirement, so realistically Tokyo will be probably where we see most of the peak performances. 

Canada was never in the top 10. 3 golds is always the amount the country wins.

More useless facts. (I love this)

This ranking count each medal distributed (as everything were individual sports). It fixes the gap between swimming and basketball but I know it makes no sense

tabela1_2.png

• Like 1

- One medal is awarded for each team member:

- 1 Medal for individual events: (Long Jump, Men's Boxing )

- 2 medals for double events, (ie Tennis Men's Doubles, Sync. Diving)

- 4+ medals for relays (Swimming: 4x100 IM, Athletics: 4x400m)

- 10+ for Team Sports (Handball 15, Football 18, etc)

Take Denmark for example

Actual Total 2 Gold  / 6 Silver / 7 Bronze

Distributed Total: 16 G, 10 S, 16 Bronze

Gold: Swimming (1), Team Handball (15 Players) = 16

Silver: Individual Events (4), Badminton Doubles (2), Cycling Road Race (4) = 10

Bronze: Individual Events (3),  Rowing Pairs (2), Cycling Team Pursuit (5), Swimming 4x100 IM (4) , Sailing (2) = 16

===

In the 2014 Winter Olympics  by winning all the team events (Men's and Women's Hockey & Curling), Canada would be on top With 63G, 22S, 5B for a total of 90 medals. :)

3 hours ago, intoronto said:

These were arguably Canada's best games. 22 medals ties the most medals in a non-boycotted games and the 4 golds would put it ahead of the three (in Atlanta, where Canada also won 22 medals). Canada's team is extremely young. From London to Rio, a lot of Canada's medalists retired, only two have announced their retirement, so realistically Tokyo will be probably where we see most of the peak performances. 

Canada was never in the top 10. 3 golds is always the amount the country wins.

I still maintain that Barcelona was better. 7 golds.

@Bezzi. yes Canada routinely beats Brazil in total medals. I actually don't think Brazil has won more medals than Canada ever. But Brazil has beaten Canada in golds since 2004 with Beijing being a tie. That is primarily down to Brazil being stronger in team sports. 

On 23/08/2016 at 3:10 AM, Faster said:

How was Canada a disappointment? Canadians won 1 gold in London. 4 in Rio. 18 medals in London, 22 in Rio. Things happened that haven't happened in over two decades like gold medals in swimming and athletics. First Canadian to defend an Olympic title. First time in 70+ years Canada won multiple team sport medals. Canada's goal was top 12 for total medals. They finished 10th. Beating Cuba and Korea for the first time in forever. These Games are considered hugely successful here.

Yes. And Canada is better than Brazil (total medals).

Cuba and Jamaica, two small countries, are better than Brazil and Canada ( proportionally).