Post-Olympic depression

I gotta concede, for all the criticisms of Rio that I've had, I will miss the opportunity to enjoy a breadth of world-class sports on a daily basis...well, only one and a half years until Pyeongchang 2018. In terms of "curing" post-Olympic nostalgia, I tend to watch Youtube videos of old Opening Ceremonies, sports documentaries or individual Olympic contests. ;)

11 minutes ago, Bezzi said:

People who is going home are leaving messages in a borad at the airport. Good bye everyone!

ap_uCbD4Mz.jpg

Funny so many people feel the need to apologise about Lochte. I feel sorry for team USA - embarrassed by the stupidity and loutishness of one jerk. Don't fret USA - the rest of you (mostly - I'm looking at you Hope Solo) did your country proud!

2 hours ago, hektor said:

how do you cure it ?

Group therapy on GamesBids.

Edited by Sir Rols

Paralympics (assuming they happen).  Then we'll have the PC18 ticket scramble/inevitable CoSport f*ck up next, daily updates of the Tokyo Stadium/Ariake Coliseum building, the 2024 bid race and the mess to come with 2026 WOG/CG bids...  Surely a 2017 Eurovision thread is also due to kick off? 

Lots to look forward to.

3 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Funny so many people feel the need to apologise about Lochte. I feel sorry for team USA - embarrassed by the stupidity and loutishness of one jerk.

That's hysterical (relatively speaking)! Ryan Lochte also said multiple times that he was "embarrassed" by his actions in his interview with Matt Lauer last night. Also found it funny that he got rid of his "blue" hair for the interview. But even that didn't help diminish what a buffoon he actually is. 

The last day of a Games is always difficult (and I've been doing this Olympic thing since Lake Placid 1980). All the build-up, all the invested emotions, and all the time being enthralled at the sight of human excellence just comes to a crashing halt. Tomorrow it is back to work, back to a more boring sports world, and back to starting the countdown all over. Rio, your organization may have been a bit messy,but your execution of the Games was great. Maybe I will spend tomorrow writing all the Zika experts and phony journalists and letting off a lot of steam about the negative buildup to these Games.

• Like 1

Depression withdrawl symptoms? Not feeling it as much as London, wished those games went for another week...maybe the awkward timezone for NZ viewing might have been why. 2020 will be better in that respect.

Happy for the 18 medals we got...although only four golds. Glad the Track and Field team burst forth with surprise medals...farewell Rio, perhaps another time.

Edited by Alexjc

Despite the problems, I think overall Rio did a good job and surpassed the adversities. Perhaps I was a bit too strict against the organization, though I will still mantain there were issues but which thankfuly never ended up being catastrophic. And we got one of the most scenic/natural beautiful venues in history, which will probably won't repeat in a very long time.

Brazil should feel proud of all their hard work to make these games possible. After this and the 2014 WC I guess you guys can finally catch a break and look behind with pride, but also forward into the future and what's to come. Thanks for everything, guys. Until next time!

I just awoke after having watched the closing ceremony - so I hadn't time yet for a post-Olympic blues. :D

But if it kicks in, I will first have to rewatch the first part of the closing ceremony which I missed because I overslept. This could help. ;) And apart from that, I'm looking forward to the Paralympics and the US presidential election, even if those two will probably turn nasty. :D But the US elections have always been "oh good, there's another highlight this year" thing for me after the end of the Summer Olympics. And after the Winter Olympics, I have the FIFA World Cup to look forward to. So you always have to look for other events you are interested in and try to squeeze them in the huge gap the Olympics have left in your daily routine. ;)

• Like 1

The blues struck me hard right now.

After watching the CC I stayed wake for preparing my kids for school, after they were all gone I slept for a few hours. Now wake again, I was turning on the TV and there was nothing. That is maybe the like a cold turkey, from 24 hours broadcast to nothing, that hard cut makes it all more terrible. Well at least I can watch the CC with my wife this evening again cause she didn´t saw it last night.

Btw @Olympian2004 : Gab es gestern auf dem ZDF eine vernünftige Zusammenfassung der Spiele die länger als 10 Minuten ging? Habe da nur dieses Telenovela-artige Zusammenfassung gesehen, aber das kann es ja echt nicht gewesen sein? In London und selbst in Sochi hatten sie richtig gute Rückblicke.

Sigh, we spend years discussing the build up to an Olympics and then, puff, it's come and gone in the space of just 2 short weeks! I'm still only coming to terms with the fact  that London 2012 is over and now Rio 2016 has just flown by as well! :o;)

Is it just me or does time really fly by quicker as we get older? I guess the good thing about that is that Tokyo 2020 will be with us in no time!!! :D

• Like 1

i'm also severely depressed about the closing of gawker this week, so between that and watching the olympics i have to find something else to occupy about 90 percent of my time.

i just want to curl up in bed in the fetal position. actually, that sounds like a really good idea.

I know the feeling. In my case (or Spaniards case) it's even worse. The next 3 Olympics in Asia will be terrible to follow in Europe and to make matters worse Rio 2016 have been the last Olympics broadcast by the public TV in Spain (which meant free full live access to all the events through 2 of their channels on TV and up to 19 live channels on their web) since Eurosport acquired the rights for the next few Games so we will have to subscribe to a cable TV package if we want to watch them entirely because they are only broadcasting a small part for free on Discovery MAX (which is an open-access channel in Spain) :(

11 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Sigh. I should be doing housework. Instead I keep milling about the boards while the taped broadcast of the last day of action plays on the TV in the background. True post-Rio Blues.

OMG me too!! I've been needing to do "housework" for the last couple of weeks now, but Rio 2016 has been getting in the way of all that! Lmfao