So Lochte has been formally indited in Rio. If he's asked to return, should he? 

I'm sure if it's me, I say hell no and stay far away. But going back and facing the music might, in some small way, restore a bit of his reputation. 

If you are Lochte, do you go back?

8 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

So Lochte has been formally indited in Rio. If he's asked to return, should he? 

I'm sure if it's me, I say hell no and stay far away. But going back and facing the music might, in some small way, restore a bit of his reputation. 

If you are Lochte, do you go back?

lol Lochte lost whatever shred of reputation he had when he did a reality show about absolutely nothing. This just further killed it and let's keep it that way, because he'll eventually screw up again later on anyways. But no, if you're not forced to return then he shouldn't it's not like Rio has nothing to offer that you can't find elsewhere, at least for him. I don't see him as the type that is interested in doing an amazon jungle tour.

I don't think so. He's a moron, it's a good thing he's hot and can swim like a fish. He'd probably have gotten himself into tons of trouble if he didn't have the USA Swimming and the USOC telling him where he needed to go and what he needed to do.

Americans are too self absorbed with themselves to care.

It will up to his team mates who faced the music, to deal with him.

Of course not.  He'd be insane to.  What he conspired to lead was childish and immature, but he'd be stupid to go back.  Meanwhile, his friends were just as guilty because they were complicit in the hoax.  Anyway, (I think) there is no extradition treaty between the US and Brazil.  Besides, Brazil should have more important things to confront than their slightly wounded pride.  C'mon, Brazil, you wanna play in the big leagues, don't sweat the details and the petty.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

There is an extradition treaty between the US and Brazil.  Lochte should do the right thing and truly admit what really happened. His "apology" was a farce. Just look at the attention he took away from the Olympics and the fantastic athletes that have poured their lives into preparing for the games just to have him steal the limelight with his lies.  It would do him justice if the US Swimming association, or whatever it is called, bans him from competing in any more events.

1 hour ago, lovecruisingtoo said:

There is an extradition treaty between the US and Brazil.  Lochte should do the right thing and truly admit what really happened. His "apology" was a farce. Just look at the attention he took away from the Olympics and the fantastic athletes that have poured their lives into preparing for the games just to have him steal the limelight with his lies.  It would do him justice if the US Swimming association, or whatever it is called, bans him from competing in any more events.

Yes but falsifying police reports is not a crime that falls into extradition so it will never happen. It's treated as a misdemeanor. Neither the US or Brazil would even push it to the point of extradition.

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Eh.  This is a tempest in a teapot.  He already apologized; what else can he do.  Time to move on. 

Maybe the IOC could strip him of his gold medal for conduct unbecoming for an Olympic champion! :ph34r:

Edited by Mainad

So he built a fictional story. :rolleyes:  He could also take the matter to the CAS if it goes that far.

Well, maybe the IOC  should strip Bruce Jenner of his gold medal for also messing up the textbooks??  :blink:

It's a friggin misdemeanor.  NO INDIVIDUAL was hurt -- just the "pride" of a nation.  There are far more egregious matters for the Brazilian/IOC judicial systems to deal with.  

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

He already apologized; what else can he do.  Time to move on. 

Lochte only apologized for not being more careful and candid in how he described the events.  He did not apologize or admit to making a false claim to the police or doing the damage to the restroom.  He never admits that the payment was for the damages that he caused.  That is what he needs to apologize for.

Lochte begins to face the consequences of his misbehaviour in Rio. Ralph Lauren and Speedo withdraw their sponsorship!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37159288

Edited by Mainad
24 minutes ago, Mainad said:

Lochte begins to face the consequences of his misbehaviour in Rio! Ralph Lauren and Speedo withdraw their sponsorship.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37159288

I read on facebook from those that work at Macy's that they've already taken the RL displays of him by Friday. If I still worked at one I could back up that claim lol

And funny how all those who were still claiming that Lochte was still "the victim" in all this, have all of the sudden STFU. Yeah, when someone admits that they're a douchebag on national TV, there's not much more defense to be had.

• 3 weeks later...

Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte suspended for 10 months and World Championships

Twelve-time Olympic medalist Ryan Lochte has been suspended for 10 months for the gas station incident that became an embarrassment during the Rio Olympics, a person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports on Wednesday.

The punishment was handed down by both the International Olympic Committee, the United States Olympic Committee and USA Swimming.

The person, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the decision has not been announced publicly, said Lochte's suspension is longer than that of the other three U.S. swimmers he was with at the gas station that night.

Lochte will also be banned from the 2017 world championship meet, which will be held in Budapest next July.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/09/07/olympian-ryan-lochte-suspended-world-championships-rio-summer-games-usoc/89979684/