Brazilians???

Okay, I'll confess. I've booed against opposing teams to my beloved Tigers in rugby league matches. I think I've even booed against NZ at rugby union. I've joined crowds razzing opposing players to put them off penalty kicks at various matches. I guess I am unfit to attend another sports event again.

41 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Oh my god, those evil Brazilians cheered for their guy and booed the competition. In a sporting event. How dare they.

Cheering an injury is bad. Making noise in sports that request silence is bad. Booing? Not so much.

That is exactly what we are complaining about. Did you watch tennis? Or gymnastics? When Brazilians were cheering/booing during point/performance. I have never seen tennis like that. 

Roland: There is a difference between a team sport, and a sport like gymnastics/tennis/shooting/etc. that require silence during performance. Booing an opposing team doesn't directly impact performance or make the sport dangerous due to distraction. 

52 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Actually, we did see that, in gymnastics, in Athens. And Nemov, to his credit, told them to zip it. 

Yeah, we (and I include myself) find it jarring in the Olympics. But we better just suck it in.

The booing wasn't of Nemov, it was of the judges because of Nemov's poor score. Nemov pleaded for calm to continue on with the performances. That incident combined with the one in the men's individual all-around and the men's vault are the reason we have the scoring system we do now.

10 minutes ago, Faster said:

That is exactly what we are complaining about. Did you watch tennis? Or gymnastics? When Brazilians were cheering/booing during point/performance. I have never seen tennis like that

I didn't see that. I'm not saying it didn't happen, tbf I didn't watch any matches involving Brazilians. but I did see the crowd shoosh down when the umpire called "quiet please" in matches I did watch.

6 minutes ago, Faster said:

The booing wasn't of Nemov, it was of the judges because of Nemov's poor score. Nemov pleaded for calm to continue on with the performances. That incident combined with the one in the men's individual all-around and the men's vault are the reason we have the scoring system we do now.

I knew that. I didn't say they were booing Nemov.I can't remember who they booed, but I do remember Nemov calming them.

Edited by Sir Rols

1 hour ago, reindeer said:

Because they were boorish pricks?

I see. I thought he might have done something to upset them other than compete against their guy. I hate to think what they might have done if he had actually beaten him! :o

3 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Oh my god, those evil Brazilians cheered for their guy and booed the competition. In a sporting event. How dare they.

Cheering an injury is bad. Making noise in sports that request silence is bad. Booing? Not so much.

Oh my God, I clearly oversimplified the issue at hand at an attempt to make a clever post.

2 hours ago, Faster said:

Thank you. The French Open crowd is notorious in the tennis world because of their rambunctious behavior. It's not limited to Brazil. I'm happy to call it out whenever its warranted. Again, this is not the World Cup. This is the Olympics. 

9 hours ago, Faster said:

BBC

This is unacceptable. Booing during a football match or making noise for free throws/penalty kicks is one thing. An accepted part of the sport. What happened to Renaud is disrespectful and ignorant no matter the culture. 

Yes, I agree with you. At a medal ceremony that is totally unacceptable. Understandable, no-one would react well if their country had been compared to Nazi Germany, but not excusable nevertheless.

12 minutes ago, Bezzi said:

I heard boos but also many applauses. It looks like he was still hurt by the loss of gold. The American girls from beach volleyball just defeated Brazil but reacted differently. They were booed during the game but in the interviews they said that the audience also applauded for the victory. Unlike Renaud, Walsh is used to play in Brazil. She know that Brazilians do not boo as disrespect, but as a way to cheer and try to help the players taking advantage of the home factor. It's up to the athlete to try to forget the audience or focus on applauses, not boos. This different reaction is not just because they won the bronze today. They lost the semifinal yesterday and with sad faces they said that the public was amazing and thanked the brazilians for the support.

I am not saying that this is a right or wrong behavior, but this is a brazilian olympics. It's different. The athletes should know that this is South America and not Asia or Europe. Anyway, I think the Brazilian public should stop this boo thing because we realized that this can be normal for us and other South American countries, but for the rest of the world this sounds like disrespect. A Brazilian TV (SporTV) even invited Renaud today and the presenter apologized him for the public behavior. But the problem is that this is almost automatic. The ball is on the opponent side of court? uuuuu. The ball is at our side? eeeee.

I understand this, and especially given that most spectators are there as Olympic spectators and not specific sport spectators. So that don't know the decorum of the sport. It happened in Vancouver, so its not just a Brazilian things. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, thorbr said:

"they should cheer like we do (not totally true tough), they should organize it like we do, they should breath like we do, they should do what we do" because we impose behaviours through imperialism through centuries...

This post has annoyed me far more than any glitch in Rio so I'm going to politely suggest you go **** your mother.

Pricks like you who bring up Empire or race or some other **** when other people point out they see as a valid criticism are far more likely to present a negative image of Brazil than a green pool. So congratulations! :angry:

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob. said:

This post has annoyed me far more than any glitch in Rio so I'm going to politely suggest you go **** your mother.

Pricks like you who bring up Empire or race or some other **** when other people bring up what they think is a valid criticism of these Games are far more likely to present a negative image of Brazil than a green pool. So congratulations!

posts like this just typify western arrogance to the developing world.

when white westerners lecture brazilians on how to behave during their olympics, of course it looks imperialistic.

behave with more respect, like we do is the message, and then arrogant replies like that above don't help.

and now my life is complete as i get to lecture somebody else about arrogance.

behave with more respect, rob, like me.

2 minutes ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

posts like this just typify western arrogance to the developing world.

when white westerners lecture brazilians on how to behave during their olympics, of course it looks imperialistic.

behave with more respect, like we do is the message, and then arrogant replies like that above don't help.

and now my life is complete as i get to lecture somebody else about arrogance.

behave with more respect, rob, like me.

I'm sorry but that is horsesh!t. Booing during a football match or team sport is one thing. Booing someone when they get their Olympic medal or while they try a jump (the most dangerous event in athletics) is completely disrespectful and ignorant bush-league behaviour. And this is not a 'white' thing, because the Asians and Africans wouldn't be doing that either. This is uncontrolled Brazilian nationalism. 

• Like 3

And it's not ALL Brazilians by a long-shot so putting it down to "culture" is a bit weird. This is going to sound patronising but I can't think of any other way of putting it. Perhaps some of it is simply a case of Brazil not being used to hosting certain sports. To make it less patronising I'll point out that I know a lot of Americans thought British NFL crowds made noise at weird times when we started hosting regular season matches at Wembley.

39 minutes ago, Rob. said:

Pricks like you who bring up Empire or race or some other **** when other people point out they see as a valid criticism are far more likely to present a negative image of Brazil than a green pool. So congratulations! :angry:

You should go **** yourself. You just want tô justify your prejudice in any opportunity u can. Go tô hell.

8 minutes ago, thorbr said:

You should go **** yourself. You just want tô justify your prejudice in any opportunity u can. Go tô hell.

No, you're a prejudiced cunt mate.

I was born in the 80s. What the **** does Empire have to do with my opinions on these Games. It's throwing my my nation's history at me because you're too fucking lazy to consider what I'm saying, nothing more.

Grow up and accept criticism like a man. These Games haven't been perfect but I've enjoyed them. Resorting to prejudice when someone makes any criticism however, is beyond stupid.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 2

ok first of all faster, white people do not get to decide what is and isn't a white thing. i'm just putting that out there.

second, lavillenie compared brazilians to nazis so hm. my sympathy for him, and this whole manufactured controversy, is rather wanting.