Brazilians???

Danny, whoever else is Brazilian.

What is your take on Brazilian results so far? With judo and swimming ending in disappointment and Brazil not being a big factor in athletics I can't help but think that Brazil is under-performing?

Even though most of our medals are supposed to be conquered in the next days, we can already say that we are probably under-performing (if we consider the optimistic expectations of COB). The target proposed by the Brazilian Olympic Comitte seems hard to achieve now. 

Judo and Swimming were disappointments. We were expecting at least 5 medals in Judo, only 3 came. In Swimming we didn't get any so far, in London we've had 2. Now most of the biggest hopes are in the collective sports. Beach Volleyball, Volley, Football, Handball, Sailing, Boxing, Gymnastics (rings), Open Water Swimming are expected to give us some more medals.

Medals Comparison (Day 7):

London 2012: 1-1-4

Rio 2016: 1-1-2

However in many sports that we don't have any tradition we've been making at least to the finals (artistic gymnastics for example) if that counts as a evolution.

Brazil's performance is below expectations. Of course, Brazil is weak in individual sports (which give more medals) and it depends on a number of medals that will only come out in the last weekend. But the performance of the first week is bad. Swimming went blank, judo managed three medals but everyone expected at least 5. The biggest problem is the favorite of performance. The men's soccer is going wrong, the female is better but not have it easy to win the gold. The men's volleyball is reasonable, do not place the favorite is only candidate for the gold. The women's volleyball is well and is a strong candidate, but it is not absolute favorite. - In athletics probably we will not get anything. The Basketball will not go away. The Handball Male is going well, but it does not want the medal candidate. The Handball can fight for medal. Overall I believe that Brazil will take on 21: A total of 20 medals. Being 4 gold (1 gold judo, 1 gold and 2 women's football gold volleyball. Maybe Zanetti in Gymnastics bring the fifth.

Host Brazil set to face disappointing medal count

Host Brazil is likely to miss its medal target after losses in judo, almost certainly a first Olympics without a swimming medal since 2004 and dashed hopes in tennis and archery.

After registering a record number of podiums at London 2012 with 17 medals, Team Brazil set a goal for Rio of finishing in the top 10 medal winning nations.

But with just four medals in the first week of the Games --one gold, one silver and two bronze -- Brazilian athletes will need to perform better to fulfill that objective. Italy finished 10th in the total 2012 medal count by taking home 28.

Brazil's greatest frustration was in judo. Despite a gold for Rafaela Silva, it did not surpass its performance of four medals in London, earning only three.

[...]

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-rio-brazil-idUSKCN10O0ZH

Yeah, it was pretty joyous watching Arthur walk out wearing the Brazilian flag once the results were officially cited. And then watching Diego run up to his teammate to help him hold up their home flag at their home Games. I was happy for both of them. 

7 minutes ago, reindeer said:

Couldn't get too excited while seeing the stadium less than half full for a Brazilian gold medal and the crowd booing at Lavillenie. Not the athlete's fault of course, he did an exceptional job.

when the rain started many people left the stadium :( 

4 hours ago, reindeer said:

Couldn't get too excited while seeing the stadium less than half full for a Brazilian gold medal and the crowd booing at Lavillenie. Not the athlete's fault of course, he did an exceptional job.

You're excitement depends on the amount of people in the stadium?  :blink: hahaha Never mind the Olympic Record... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gamesnz said:

You're excitement depends on the amount of people in the stadium?  :blink: hahaha Never mind the Olympic Record... 

Yes, it does have some effect if the public seems disinterested. The Brazilians simply don't care about these games. We can discuss about the reasons for that and whether it's legitimate in another topic.

9 hours ago, neneu10 said:

when the rain started many people left the stadium :( 

That's a pathetic excuse if you've paid for the ticket. There is a roof and it's not even cold out there! Would they leave the World Cup final with Brazil playing if it started raining?

So let me get this right. It doesn't matter how good or significant an event on screen is - it's second rate or garbage to you if the stands aren't full enough to your taste?

Funny thing - our broadcaster was showing tight close and medium shots of the vaults rather than wide panoramas of the stadium while it was all happening. 

And beyond that, I think a lot of the crowd had left after the 400m finished. But it seemed quite a few Brazilians stayed in to watch the vault final - enough for Da Silva to say they were lifting him, and for Lavillenie to complain of their "Nazi" (his comparison, not mine) catcalling and boos when he was making his last attempt.

17 hours ago, reindeer said:

Do you know why they were booing him?

I remember a few of us telling Danny a few years ago that Brazilians' penchant for booing wouldn't go down well if they did it in Rio. But, he kept telling us that whether we find it boorish, it's their way. I guess who's to tell them to change their cultural practices? I suspect if they did like the Chinese ahead of Beijing, giving lessons in how to behave as spectators, they'd just have done it more to stick it to "the man" and to the gringos. 

And yet we approve of it when they do it to an Efimova or a Gatlin. Seems a bit selective judgementalism. Hope you're not saying disadvantaged local kids shouldn't get a chance to experience Olympism because it would disturb first world sensibilities.

if that's how they celebrate their sports, let em. I know that raucous chants of "USA! USA! USA!" And "Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi" gets up a lot of noses as well.

Edited by Sir Rols

Roland, booing to show displeasure and booing during the course of an event to distract someone are apples and watermelons. The decorum of a sport dictates the conduct of the audience. It is just one of the things with the Olympics, the audience for the sport may not be familiar with the sport and its standards. Canada experienced it in Vancouver 2010 with curling. It wasn't traditional curling audiences and it was displeasing to the curlers.

Sport is a universal pursuit, people need to understand that booing/inappropriately cheering for a competitor to fail is unbecoming no matter the culture. Respecting the decorum of a sport has nothing to culture, but of being respectful of what you are watching. If Opera and ballet can have universal decorum, so can sport.

Lavillenie himself said the booing didn't put him off, just pissed him off. An elite athlete in any sport that doesn't require crowd silence shoud be able to zone out from the clamour around him, or use cheering - or booing - for motivation. For those that do require the silence - I'm thinking off the top of my head a serve at a tennis match - yes, the crowd wherever in the world is told to shut up and I saw that in Rio.

The booing, sure, in my mind, is one of the more  jarring parts of the Brazilian sports culture. Unfortunate to me, but it's their culture. It'd be arrogant of me to tell them they're wrong. And don't tell me we don't do it ourselves - football, rugby, cricket, basketball - in many of our mainstream sports razzing the opposition is pretty commonplace for us as well - we;re just a bit more polite usually at the Olympics.

It's not like you can ban them from booing - beyond the normal course of sports that require occasional crowd silence - any more than you could ban South Africans from using vuvuzelas.

Edited by Sir Rols

4 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Lavillenie himself said the booing didn't put him off, just pissed him off. An elite athlete in any sport that doesn't require crowd silence shoud be able to zone out from the clamour around him, or use cheering - or booing - for motivation. For those that do require the silence - I'm thinking off the top of my head a serve at a tennis match - yes, the crowd wherever in the world is told to shut up and I saw that in Rio.

The booing, sure, in my mind, is one of the more  jarring parts of the Brazilian sports culture. Unfortunate to me, but it's their culture. It'd be arrogant of me to tell them they're wrong. It's not like you can ban them from booing - beyond the normal course of sports that require occasional crowd silence - any more than you could ban South Africans from using vuvuzelas.

Oh please. There is hardly a difference between the bolded. 

When was the last time a pole vaulter was booed at an Olympics? A gymnast's mistakes in floor exercise applauded and celebrated? Clamor is not just clamor. There is a vast difference between clapping/cheering and booing when it comes to noise. You can realize that is a part of their culture and be bothered by it at the same time.

Edited by nykfan845

13 minutes ago, nykfan845 said:

When was the last time a pole vaulter was booed at an Olympics? A gymnast's mistakes in floor exercise applauded and celebrated? 

Actually, we did see that, in gymnastics, in Athens. And Nemov, to his credit, told them to zip it. It also happened A LOT in Moscow 1980 - against their eastern bloc allies no less . As I said above (I'd been adding to my original post as you were posting yours) I've personally seen it in professional league sports here and in Europe as well. So don't tell me we're always angels.

Yeah, we (and I include myself) find it jarring in the Olympics. But we better just suck it in.

Edited by Sir Rols