Sign in to follow this  
AustralianFan

Rio 2016 Closing Ceremony Live Chat

31 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Which is quite a paradox, because in terms of medals haul, this has been the USA's best showing in 32 years (since Los Angeles 1984), in a boycott-free Games; yet the TV ratings are down.  I wonder if that takes into account people have watched on their cellphones, laptops, etc.?  Are those measured?? 

I don't think it measures anything but regular broadcast TV.  I watched some scattered hours on broadcast--more during the day than in primetime, but watched the NBC livestreams (on a desktop and laptop) extensively over the entire course of the Games.    Of course they surely have ways of measuring access to their website as well as duration per visit.   This needs to be counted in some way since it's just another method of getting "eyeballs" but from an advertiser's standpoint, it's not going to be viewed as valuable as broadcast.   I know each time I accessed a different livestream, I had an introductory ad of about 15-20 seconds but after that, stream was ad-free.  

Bottom line is that NBC (or any broadcaster) can't keep on using 1996 methods and metrics in 2016.   About the only people who still overweight towards getting their program content through broadcast TV usage are the older age demographic.   And NBC needs to take a good long look in the mirror at the hosts/anchors, commentary, and general program presentation (er  "curation" in NBC-speak) -- to say it's 80% sucky would be kind.   So one has to ask--how much of the problem was the Games, and how much was the Gatekeeper (NBC) for US audiences?

That said, I do think the fragmentation of the US audience and other options/demands on peoples' time, means that the segment of the population actually interested in the Olympics, beyond a few specific athletes, teams, or sports, is relatively limited.   

My thought

This Closing ceremony was by far better than the Opening. By leaps and bounds! I feel all they needed to do was add the rainforest segment of the opening ceremony and add it to the closing and they would have had an amazing opening ceremony. The lace segment was beautiful and the extinguishing of the flame to me was the most magnificent I have ever seen. The song the drama of the rain was perfect and that added element of the tree growing out of the rain was a great touch.

Completely agree with most here that the athletes parade was horrendously disorganized but whatever I get it they enter with no borders. the chairs around the stage made it space too small for when the carnival parade happened but I loved it even though they only had one float. It got the point across.

I will be the first to admit I was not rooting for Tokyo to get 2020 I have been thoroughly underwhelmed by their preparations but I have never been so excited by a hand over ceremony than I was last night by what I saw. I truly want 2020 to start tomorrow. Tokyo completely over shadowed Rio with that presentation. As if to say Rio you were fun but let us show you how it's really done. They killed every aspect of that moment.and people are going to be talking about Tokyo with great excitement for the next four year. I am going to be there from start to finish I declare that now.

As for the games themselves I am sorry to say this but It was simply OK I couldn't get into it this year. All things consider I give it a C+. It passed but for what it promised back in 2007 I'm sorry no. The booing fans the empty seats the green pool were just to visual for the general public and viewers on tv. Yes all Olympics have issues but they're mostly behind the scenes I really didn't like being able to hear the boos on my tv at the Olympics where sportsmanship is the name of the game.

I lost it at the RIO, OBRIGADO, ARIGATO projection.  I was balling.  That rendition of the anthem, the mysteriousness of the outfits, the fact that the Games were closing.  So much emotion.

On a side not NBC need desperately new commentators for the Olympics. Ryan Seacrest is not a the guy to pass the mantle too. there roster of folks seemed old and out of date Bob Costas I love you but you too need to be replaced.

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

B"Which is quite a paradox, because in terms of medals haul, this has been the USA's best showing in 32 years (since Los Angeles 1984), in a boycott-free Games; yet the TV ratings are down.  I wonder if that takes into account people have watched on their cellphones, laptops, etc.?  Are those measured??"

exactly - especially when Rio is also in a favorable time-zone for the Eastern U.S. So why couldn't people watch?! But yeah, all those other outlets these days, etc. But a certain other member of these seriously believes that's not, at least, part of the issue. Sure, streaming was also around back in 2012, but the quality of it was not nearly as good as it is in 2016. So back then, who would want to watch streaming with "buffering or freezing" every five minutes or so. Tokyo 2020 might be a huge wake up call, especially with the huge time difference there.

27 minutes ago, jiejie said:

Bottom line is that NBC (or any broadcaster) can't keep on using 1996 methods and metrics in 2016.   About the only people who still overweight towards getting their program content through broadcast TV usage are the older age demographic.   And NBC needs to take a good long look in the mirror at the hosts/anchors, commentary, and general program presentation (er  "curation" in NBC-speak) -- to say it's 80% sucky would be kind.   So one has to ask--how much of the problem was the Games, and how much was the Gatekeeper (NBC) for US audiences?

Or all the above. 

After having rewatched the entire ceremony, I must say it was really good. Many of the segments would have found a decent place at the opening ceremony, too - but I also like the overall idea of not letting a closing ceremony appear like the stale afterthought of the opening. While one could recognise that this was a low budget ceremony once more, it almost never lost the air of grandeur and importance. The only criticisms I have is that they somewhat overpresented the northeast of Brazil (were these the Rio 2016 or the Recife/Salvador 2016 Games?) while leaving out the south and the Amazonas entirely. And sometimes the ceremony felt a bit jagged, sometimes there were no good transitions (or even none at all) from one segment to the next. In any case, I would judge the closing ceremony with a 8/10. It was different than London's, but this also means that it was truly Brazilian and gave a good impression of the host country in all its varieties. Well done, Rio!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AustralianFan said:

Does anyone know of a link to watch a full replay of the Closing Ceremony ?

If you use a VPN tunnel pretending you're in Germany and don't mind the commentators speaking German, you could try the recording of the ZDF broadcast:

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek#/beitrag/video/2818752/Olympische-Schlussfeier-in-voller-Länge

I enjoyed the ceremony. As the opening, it was more than correct considering its limited budget. The only thing that should have been done differently is the transitions from one segment to the following, because, you're right, there were no transitions most of the times. It's a pity it rained that much. The Tokyo handover segment was awesome, but I'll talk about it on its own thread.

4 hours ago, Olympian2004 said:

If you use a VPN tunnel pretending you're in Germany and don't mind the commentators speaking German, you could try the recording of the ZDF broadcast:

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek#/beitrag/video/2818752/Olympische-Schlussfeier-in-voller-Länge

Thankyou, much appreciated

• Like 1

OK, I am rewatching the Closing now, skipping past the commercials, giving it more attention than I was Sunday night.  But there are still a few things that puzzle me.  Can somebody please enlighten me on:

1.  What's the name of the Norwegian DJ who performed with that Julia Michaels (never heard of her)?

2.  In the "pre-historic" portion, what the hell were those contraptions?  The idiot NBC commentators never explained what those were -- were those early solar panels?  Your own hang-gliding equipment?  How did they relate to the "pre-historic" epoch being portrayed?

3. The so-called new segment called "Saudades" (or Remembrances, I guess -- equivalent to the In Memorian segments in the Tonys and the Oscars), but -- and not unless NBC cut it out again -- WHO were honored?  Who, in particular, was the IOC remembering?  I didn't see the slain Israeli atheltes of Munich 1972??   How was it a lead-in to the "Lace" segment which was very beautiful?? How did those 2 segments connect??

And sensible replies will be appreciated.  

50 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

3. The so-called new segment called "Saudades" (or Remembrances, I guess -- equivalent to the In Memorian segments in the Tonys and the Oscars), but -- and not unless NBC cut it out again -- WHO were honored?  Who, in particular, was the IOC remembering?  I didn't see the slain Israeli atheltes of Munich 1972??   How was it a lead-in to the "Lace" segment which was very beautiful?? How did those 2 segments connect??

Hey Baron (and everyone)

That segment is not a "In memorian" segment. Saudade means you miss someone, but not always when someone dies. You can miss someone because it is gone and won´t comeback soon. That what means that segment: knowing that the Games were over and will be missed by the cariocas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

OK, I am rewatching the Closing now, skipping past the commercials, giving it more attention than I was Sunday night.  But there are still a few things that puzzle me.  Can somebody please enlighten me on:

1.  What's the name of the Norwegian DJ who performed with that Julia Michaels (never heard of her)?

2.  In the "pre-historic" portion, what the hell were those contraptions?  The idiot NBC commentators never explained what those were -- were those early solar panels?  Your own hang-gliding equipment?  How did they relate to the "pre-historic" epoch being portrayed?

1. dj kygo - music carry me

3. Im n

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

This is only  my opinion, but all those segments are about how we will miss the game , the people, the moments.

1. the poem "saudade from arnaldo antunes" ( hope someon get a translation)

saudade_0.jpg

2 the lace segment is about how we create those relations 

3 the tree represents those relations growing like the florest from the opening 

4 the music of the flame   is "Pelo tempo que durar" by Mariene de Castro

As long as it goes

Nothing will remain
The way it is now

I'm thinking of meeting you
I just want to see you

Glaciers will be melting
Stars will be fading away

And here I am, thinking of you
As long as it goes

Things are going to change
And then going to disappear

And here I am, thinking of keeping
As life rushes through you

And I'm thinking of spend
My whole life with you
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, guilherme said:

3. Im n

This is only  my opinion, but all those segments are about how we will miss the game , the people, the moments.

saudade_0.jpg

It's a "tears in rain" sort of thing. My attempt at a slightly free translation:

I feel no nostalgia for what I have lived
Because all of it is here,
Built into me
Like a liver, a pancreas, a kidney

I feel no nostalgia for what I have lived
(... seen ... heard ... dreamed ... felt)
Because it has become what I am

I feel no nostalgia for what I have lived,
Only for those who lived and shared their lives with me

Not what I saw, what they saw;
Not what I heard, what they heard;
What they dreamed, they felt,
Those people I have lost

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rominger said:

Hey Baron (and everyone)

That segment is not a "In memorian" segment. Saudade means you miss someone, but not always when someone dies. You can miss someone because it is gone and won´t comeback soon. That what means that segment: knowing that the Games were over and will be missed by the cariocas.

O Brigado-on!!  ;)

But still, no one has explained ...
 In the "pre-historic" portion, what the hell were those contraptions?  Early solar panels?  Your own hang-gliding equipment?  How did they relate to the "pre-historic" epoch being portrayed?  

11 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

O Brigado-on!!  ;)

But still, no one has explained ...
 In the "pre-historic" portion, what the hell were those contraptions?  Early solar panels?  Your own hang-gliding equipment?  How did they relate to the "pre-historic" epoch being portrayed?  

Although there seems to be no sign of solar panels in the Serra da Capivara rock art, it does frequently feature long rows of equal-sized vertical lines. They are generally interpreted as processions of people, but I can't say I'm entirely convinced.

7b.jpg

http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/south_america/serra_da_capivara/

In case anybody's wondering, the two people in a strange pose to the left of the "procession" line are reading a book.

15 hours ago, guilherme said:

3. Im n

saudade_0.jpg

2 the lace segment is about how we create those relations 

3 the tree represents those relations growing like the florest from the opening 

4 the music of the flame   is "Pelo tempo que durar" by Mariene de Castro

As long as it goes

Nothing will remain
The way it is now

I'm thinking of meeting you
I just want to see you

Glaciers will be melting
Stars will be fading away

And here I am, thinking of you
As long as it goes

Things are going to change
And then going to disappear

And here I am, thinking of keeping
As life rushes through you

And I'm thinking of spend
My whole life with you

Thought the music for the flame extinguishing was absolutely beautiful. What a voice and one of the most moving flame extinguishing moments ever at an Olympic games!

1 hour ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Although there seems to be no sign of solar panels in the Serra da Capivara rock art, it does frequently feature long rows of equal-sized vertical lines. They are generally interpreted as processions of people, but I can't say I'm entirely convinced.

7b.jpg

http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/south_america/serra_da_capivara/

In case anybody's wondering, the two people in a strange pose to the left of the "procession" line are reading a book.

aliens.jpg

• Like 1

On 23/08/2016 at 4:11 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

It seems that there has been a nuanced shift in terms of remembrance by the IOC. A couple of days ago, I read an article in the Jerusalem Post in which this issue was discussed - basically, Bach seems to have gotten the fact that the IOC cannot just pretend that Munich never happened. Hence, the space of remembrance created in the Olympic Village (which was praised by the widows of the Munich 11, Ankie Spitzer being among them) and maybe this "Saudades" segment. However, the latter may just be a continuation of the section of the "Abide by Me" remembrance section which was musically accompanied by Emeli Sandé during the London 2012 closing ceremony.

That said, the IOC regards the Munich 11 as the third rail of international sport:

1. Acknowledging them would be (unjustifiably, but still) be seen as taking sides in the Arab-Israeli conflict, replete with threats of boycotts etc. Then again, that would make Middle Eastern countries look like terrorist sympathizers. In this regard, I think Rogge missed a beat at Salt Lake 2002. A segment honouring the Munich 11 could have been placed right in the Salt Lake OC. Who could have seriously resisted in the post-9/11 revulsion against terror? An opportunity missed.

2. Bach is the Avery Brundage of the 21st century - sans the rabid anti-Semitism and fascist sympathies - in his insistence on sport being apolitical. That's bogus and ridiculous. He spoke about a "united Brazil" standing behind the Olympic Games, when it was the exact opposite. He didn't mention doping, didn't chastise Russia and generally took a low profile. It is also interesting that he didn't make himself available for one-on-one interviews - even Rogge made a tour of the TV studios in 2008 and dropped by German TV for a 15-minute sitdown. Yes, much of it was boilerplate, but still better than Bach's self-imposed aloofness from the media. Then again, he seems to have a particular beef with German broadcasters - since they didn't just blindly nod to every one of his initiatives.

3. Dealing with the Munich 11 problem would force the IOC to take a stand on other issues too: what about human rights violations in Darfur? Why isn't Syria excluded from the IOC? Why force Kuwait and (at Sochi) India into Independent Olympic Athlete status over comparable technicalities, whilst failing to kick out Russia and forcing all NOCs to have anti-doping regimen in place and giving unqualified access, at any time, every time, everywhere, to all WADA examiners? The Munich 11 issue is one that is easy to address: It's not as if the IOC personally handed the hand grenades to the Black September terrorists. Much of the planning by West Germany was naive and lacking in security expertise. The only disgraceful thing about the IOC's behaviour at the time was Brundage and his unbelievable comparison with the Rhodesian exclusion from the Games.

But the IOC's continued silence is cowardice vis-à-vis the Arab NOCs which would prefer that their disgraceful behaviour (they refused to have their flags lowered on the day of the memorial service, when Germany and the rest of the world were in mourning) remain glossed over as well. Given Mr Bach's own connections into the Middle East (and as an active member of a couple of lobbying organizations etc), this is not really a surprise - yet quite lamentable.

On 22/08/2016 at 4:00 AM, thatsnotmypuppy said:

I still vividly remember Christine Anu singing 'My Island Home' as that huge diamond/cube/dodecahedron stage thing raised her high into the air - and Midnight Oil's "sorry" suits in Sydney...

Seven 2 (or SevenMATE) is telecasting them.  Sadly not the great SBS/ABC coverage of years past...

I will never forget the extinguishing of the flame at Sydney 2000 - especially when the military aircraft "took" the flame with it. Just wow!

2 hours ago, plusbrilliantsexploits said:

I will never forget the extinguishing of the flame at Sydney 2000 - especially when the military aircraft "took" the flame with it. Just wow!

Far better than the "rain extinguishing Rio's flame" which was bizarre and really a big Huh?   #1 - It was already a rainy, stormy night, but they created this fake "rain" to douse the cauldron -- which it PLAINLY did NOT.  You could see the gas jets being shut off, doused the flame.  

#2 - That "fake rain" on a stormy night, really rings hallow in areas where there is drought (i.e., California where I live, the Saharas area), and you have these "show people" wasting so much water for a show effect, when the "rainfall" wasn't even a natural one.  

That, whatever those hang-gliding contrapations for the Cappabarra Cave things, and the FAKE flying of Santos-Dumont's "plane" really needed to be more credible.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

On 22/8/2016 at 3:20 AM, mattygs said:

A pretty decent closing ceremony, far superior to Beijing's which was awful. I'd still put London and Athens a head for my personal taste, but a great job. I was expecting to be disappointed and I was pleasantly surprised. 

Glad to know i'm not the only one who thinks Beijing closing was godawful. You can tell there was a big disbalance in the budget and spend almost everything for the Opening. Rio closing was so-so but at least it had a memorable handover segment (London handover was...uh. I don't even remember it anymore. That's how forgettable it was).

Also in the end, we never got Pele on either the Opening or Closing. He was possibly the biggest absent figure on these games.

20 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

Also in the end, we never got Pele on either the Opening or Closing. He was possibly the biggest absent figure on these games.

The man was sick and/or recovering from surgery.  At least he knew how to stay away and NOT make the moment about him -- unlike The Big Mouth Ali, who, not content to showing how sick he already was in Atlanta, still HOGGED MORE GLOBAL spotlight in London, 16 years later.  I mean, the man could NOT have enough attention showered on him until the day he died.  Talk of needy... :rolleyes: