Rio 2016 Closing Ceremony Live Chat

I've been told that the tropical storm that hit Rio was actually so bad the hurricane like wind took down trees, power poles, and there was a blackout in parts of the city. Many people could not make to the closing ceremony!! :( Unlucky.  

I'm surprised everything went well in the closing ceremony.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A pretty decent closing ceremony, far superior to Beijing's which was awful. I'd still put London and Athens a head for my personal taste, but a great job. I was expecting to be disappointed and I was

Honestly, after seeing what happens in European stadiums, with all the racist chanting and the hooligans in the streets (do you remember UEFA Euro?) I'd say the Brazilian crowd behaviour has been quit

I would love to see his papers flying away with the wind.

Hi! I just finished watching NBC's coverage of the closing ceremony and I thought it was much better than the opening ceremony.  My favorite part was the surprise appearance of Super Mario in the handover segment.  And Mario was portrayed by Japanese PM Abe - who saw that coming!  Brilliant!  NBC did a pretty good job of covering it - they again omitted the OC President's speech, but all in all they did much better than Sochi.

Abe as Mario was pretty much Japan answer to London's with the Queen and James Bond :P 

Also it's very unfortunate a storm had to happen during the closing ceremony. Though at least everything went good on it. 

Though your ceremonies probably won't go down in history as the best ever, I admire you did a very good job considering the small budget you guys had. And they were pretty far from the trainwreck many were calling them weeks/months before the games. You should feel very proud of what you've done. :) 

Rio 2016 was far from any catastrophic predictions. Some things sure could be better but I am proud. We had beautiful games and the foreign visitors seems positive overall. Even the americans took a very positive spin in the last days. Looking forward to Tokyo 2020.

• Like 1

Oh damn NBC is showing a re-broadcast of the ceremonies and I missed like the first hour of it! Didn't think they would have done it! Anyways for those who are in mountain time zone or west coast, check it out after your local news to see if they re-broadcast it!

NBC always rebroadcasts the Opening & Closing ceremonies. And I just got done watching the Tokyo 2020 handover again on the rerun, & man, if that is a taste of what's to come at Tokyo 2020, then those are going to be some awesome Games!

The Closing Ceremony was worth watching almost only for the Tokyo handover. Japan literally brought down the house.

Also in case you guys didn't noticed, the Arigato message was mostly a thanks message to both Brazil and the world for their support during the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake. The messages were actually formed by people living on the most affected areas by the disaster. 

21 minutes ago, FYI said:

NBC always rebroadcasts the Opening & Closing ceremonies. And I just got done watching the Tokyo 2020 handover again on the rerun, & man, if that is a taste of what's to come at Tokyo 2020, then those are going to be some awesome Games!

I may have been right behind Tokyo in the 2020 bid race, but since then I hadn't really ignited any anticipation for them. Considering all that's really happened since the vote has been the stadium backflip and the logo schemozzle, I'd been almost writing them off as likely a bland edition that won't be blazing any new territories. Okay, I know the handovers aren't any real indication of what's ahead, but, boy! did that one finally sure whet my appetite. Now I really do think we may be in for something special ahead!

Edited by Sir Rols

They badly miscalculated the no. of athletes  who wanted to attend the CC.  How could they have?  Those looked like seats for 12,000 people.  Stats show that only about 40% of the athletes do come for the CC.  I guess they hoped to really minimize the field for the show, as they were now using performers in the 200 range whereas for the Opening, for the full field, they usually cast 800+ performers to fill the space.  

13 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

They badly miscalculated the no. of athletes  who wanted to attend the CC.  How could they have?  Those looked like seats for 12,000 people.  Stats show that only about 40% of the athletes do come for the CC.  I guess they hoped to really minimize the field for the show, as they were now using performers in the 200 range whereas for the Opening, for the full field, they usually cast 800+ performers to fill the space.  

Well the seats did look mostly full when they all sat down for the continuation of the ceremonies. Someone mentioned that they moved further up because of the rain, but did that mean they moved further up in stadium seating? And it seems there was a lot of moving around and a good number of them were leaving the field. Maybe the weather did drive them away since a lot of those seats probably didn't get much coverage from the rain. I feel if athletes want to participate in the ceremonies, they shouldn't be able to freely leave the ceremonies when they choose. Fine if they want to get up and go to the bathroom, get something to eat or drink (if they even offer them food and drinks backstage) but to just come in and out that's a nah. Stay damnit lol

5 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

It was good. It was fun. I'll remember Carmen Miranda and Mario. The rest will fade from memory eventually. London's and Sochi's closings are the only ones that have stood the test of my memory.

Sydney still in my mind. The umbrellas at the beginning, kylie minogue, the huge dancing dolls and lets not forget THAT fireworks display :)

Only watch the Tokyo handover part as couldn't be bothered with the rest of the ceremony after such a disappointing opening ceremony. The handover ceremony was great though, the best ever. Looking forward to Tokyo now. 

A pretty decent closing ceremony, far superior to Beijing's which was awful. I'd still put London and Athens a head for my personal taste, but a great job. I was expecting to be disappointed and I was pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 4

Gotta feeling that the Closing was geared down to favour the Tokyo segment which was outstanding. 

Pretty much joining the opinion here in thinking London has the best Closing so far...Barcelona up there as well. Closing is a more relaxed time so formalities are minimum.

I only watched up to the  handover,

my feeling are

the athletes entrance was to long
parts of the creative section was very well done, but to much video projection,

The Tokyo hand over  was very impresive and well executed
though I preferred Beijings state ballet at Athens

also a shame to see empty seats at a closing ceremony

over all it was nice but London is still the best closing ever

So many empty seats. Watching the CBC feed (replay of course, had work today, couldn't watch live). O Canada indeed! They always deliver.

Surprised they didn't try to fill the seats by either delaying the start, or getting people to come in and watch.

My overall judgement is yet to happen. They should have kept the cubes from the Opening Ceremony, even if not used at all. Perhaps it would have made the stadium look more full.

Overall I think the CC was good, more festive and enjoyable than the OC, music was better as well. Better CC than Beijing and Athens but not as good as Sydney and London imo.

Tokyo handover was the highlight, I was never that excited about the games in Tokyo before but the handover ceremony reminded me of all the exciting things about Japan and now I'm psyched.

I was really looking forward to seeing more floats for the Carnival segment of the finale, at least five (one for each Olympic ring/continent perhaps) but I guess the budget kept them from going all out.

17 minutes ago, bythebay said:

I was really looking forward to seeing more floats for the Carnival segment of the finale, at least five (one for each Olympic ring/continent perhaps) but I guess the budget kept them from going all out.

I don't think it was the budget.  It's easy enough for them to borrow and repurpose existing floats (which are all stored in warehouses anyway).  It's the logistics of getting them to Maracana and then squeezing them into the infield w/o having to put them together at the last minute.  Instead, they just had hordes of the samba schools just show up.  Which was great too (LOVED the costumes they picked), but it would just be more expedient to bring in individuals and then move them out after the show.  

I also wondered about how they got all the huge and fancy costumed dancers into Maracana.  I guess the individual samba schools took care of that -- but the traffic into Maracana, unless all pre-progammed, must've been a nightmare, with the rain and all...

...got to see the ceremony late here in Hawaii, the LACE segment was my FAVORITE.......reminded me of the colors of Athens and the music and costumes and simplicity was very beautiful.

Also.....the singer/music/song and shower putting the flame out was FANTASTIC....not to close on a very emotional and dramatic presentation....just lovely.

(i wish they had been a more professional and clean platform for the lady to sing on, the black tarps and stuff was a little unrefined for such a magnificent moment)

...here's some facts.

Rio Olympics Closing Ceremony Ratings Lose Almost 50% Of London 2012 Viewers

NBC is looking at the worst Summer Olympics results in decades. Not only are fast affiliates down to the second lowest result of the 2016 Olympics for the Comcast-owned net’s primetime coverage but they took a whooping 56% fall in the key demo and dropped 44% viewershipwise from the closing of London 2012.

Tokyo Steals The Show In Rio Games Closing Ceremony

I have just finished watching the Closing Ceremony, which I had DVR'ed, as it would have been in the middle of the night to watch it live. The verdict? Actually, a very good one:

CONDITIONS: I can't remember a recent Olympic Games being affected by stormy gusts and major rainshowers on the day of one of its Opening or Closing Ceremonies. The weather having turned so sour didn't exactly help, but considering the circumstances, I genuinely feel that the organizers made it work very well. Apparently, there was a power cut in the minutes, but it didn't seem to have a major effect on the ceremony itself. Of course, had such a power failure occurred during the competitions themselves, there would have been backups etc (to my knowledge the IOC Technical Manual mandates those), but it would have been embarrassing. Considering that it was the end of the Games and that it was resolved swiftly, its effect was negligible.

COUNTDOWN: Quite good. Good tribute to Brazil's famous aviator and very colourful projections!

VISUAL ELEMENTS: The Tokyo one was good, the Olympic Channel element looked tacky, jarring and forced.

CULTURE & MUSIC: I feel there were more emotionally resonant moments in terms of Brazilian music in this ceremony. The song sung by Mariene de Castro during the extinguishing of the Olympic Flame was beautiful and full of soul, and quite reminiscent of the sentiment of "saudade" (I hope I got this one right!). Obviously, the samba schools, Izabel Goulart and Renato Sorriso were great and reminiscent of the happy way of life many of us associate when we hear the word "Brazil". Truly energetic, visually appealing and projecting happiness.

ANTHEMS: Lacklustre, with the notable exception of the Japanese anthem. What was up with those kids only delivering a sub-par rendition of the Olympic Hymn and a mediocre singing of the Brazilian anthem (which was done far better in the Opening Ceremony). The Japanese anthem? Serene, humble, beautiful.

ATHLETES PARADE: Too long, too chaotic and too disjointed. Could have been organized more efficiently. I get that athletes want to celebrate, but with a more effective crowd management plan, it'd be possible to cut down the time on these ceremonies even more.

SPEECHES AND OFFICIALS: Nuzman was on speed, and clearly is high on his own supply. Bach was utterly cringeworthy and narcissistic, starting with his n-th introduction as the "Épee fencing champion of Montréal 1976" (conveniently omitting the fact that he won his gold as part of the German team, not as an individual). His attempts to speak Brazilian Portuguese reminded me of Samaranch's attempts to ingratiate himself with so many audiences in Host Countries. He milked the Refugee Team for all the publicity he could get, which I found a bit in poor taste. And the Olympic Cup? Struck me as a major condescension towards the people of Rio de Janeiro - after so many financial resources invested, so many residential areas levelled to make way for stadiums and so much corruption having gone around in the run-up to the event, all the Rio citizens get is a worthless cup? Sharing in the profits of the marketing programmes and TV rights would be a much more meaningful way of saying "Muito obrigado". "You will remain in our hearts" is an easy and facile phrase to utter when you're not the one footing the infrastructure and stadium bill. Besides that, there was not much else he said. He didn't address doping, pretended that everything went swimmingly and just kept telling Brazilians what they wanted to hear. Forgettable. Gracefully, Michel Temer stayed away this time around and averted the inevitable boos he would have gotten. I noticed that Eduardo Paes, Rio's mayor, struggled with many boos as well - maybe because of the fact that he has been preventing a thorough audit of the costs of the Games.

Next up, the presentation of the Athletes Commission members: Most of the new members seem alright. Isinbayeva's elevation to the Commission is an embarrassment and once you looked carefully, she looked a bit bereft of her bravado. She only shook hands with the new Hungarian member and remained stony-faced otherwise. Clearly, she knows that the winds have shifted and that outside of "Mother Russia" she cannot expect the same universal acclaim she used to receive as a world-class pole vaulter. However, the fact that she got about 25% of the votes in a field of 16 candidates shows to me that there is a sufficiently large chunk of athletes who don't care about or even approve of doping.

The volunteers were thanked over and over - and rightly so. They were the backbone of London 2012 and probably Rio 2016 as well. But surely, the committees should come up with something a bit more creative than flowers (though, mind you, flowers would have been great for the athletes during their medal presentations).

TOKYO HANDOVER: Absolutely amazing! It's my self-imposed objective to travel to Japan to witness the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games in person, and this presentation strengthened my resolve to actually do so. The greeting to the world in all kinds of languages was great, as was the red colour of the projected stadium floor giving way to transform into the rising sun of the Japanese flag. Additionally, I liked the very modern feel of the "ball passage" short, culminating in a self-ironic reference to Super Mario Brothers (kudos to Prime Minister Abe for being willing to turn in this performance, though not as striking as the one of the Queen next to Daniel Craig as 007). The sports icon figures were super-cool, as were other details: The kimono worn by the Governor of Tokyo looked gorgeous. The performance of the Japanese national anthem was awesome! Really looking forward to 2020!

TIMING: If I'm not mistaken, this was one of the shortest Closing Ceremonies in recent memory. Around 2.5 hours? Quite impressive.

VERDICT: A solid B+, actually better than the Opening Ceremony in so many ways - given that I'm no fan of CCs, this one was a pleasant surprise. It definitely benefited from the true heart, passion and love of life that many ordinary Brazilians embrace in their daily lives. It was colourful, lively and full of energy - maybe the pouring rain actually energized the cariocas even more to dig deep one last time! Either way, I liked it! I do chime with many here who indicated that Tokyo did a stellar job and left us wanting more.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, paul said:

..NBC is looking at the worst Summer Olympics results in decades. Not only are fast affiliates down to the second lowest result of the 2016 Olympics for the Comcast-owned net’s primetime coverage but they took a whooping 56% fall in the key demo and dropped 44% viewershipwise from the closing of London 2012.

Which is quite a paradox, because in terms of medals haul, this has been the USA's best showing in 32 years (since Los Angeles 1984), in a boycott-free Games; yet the TV ratings are down.  I wonder if that takes into account people have watched on their cellphones, laptops, etc.?  Are those measured??