Sign in to follow this  
AustralianFan

Rio 2016 Closing Ceremony Live Chat

5 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

I'm a big fan of London's closing as well. It WAS my favourite... until. Whatever else one thinks about Sochi, both their opening and closing ceremonies were brilliant.

Sochi's closing was boring as hell. I thought I was watching an opening ceremony all over again. London's was a proper closing ceremony, full of fun and celebration. Seriously the Russians cannot laugh at themselves, even though there's plenty there to laugh at.

Ooh I just read that Simone Biles will be carrying the US flag for the closing ceremony! Man she'll be dwarfed by that flag, but she won't have any issues carrying it I'm sure.

20 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

Sochi's closing was boring as hell. I thought I was watching an opening ceremony all over again. London's was a proper closing ceremony, full of fun and celebration. Seriously the Russians cannot laugh at themselves, even though there's plenty there to laugh at.

Not at all.  It was as brilliant and as fresh as the Opening.  London's Closing was good but it was same cut as before--pop show and pop stars.  Sochi closed still using their rich culture -- art, literature, classical music, the circus, the youth and spring brilliantly -- without having to use pop stars who have NOTHING to do with an Olympics.  And yes, joshing themselves with the malfunctioning ring from the opening, was uncharacteristically Russian.  That alone was a great arc  PLUS, they never went into it in detail but the formation of the rings and the masses who were supposed to be mini-fish from the Black Sea was set against a long-lost score of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, by Russian-born Hollywood composer Dimitri Tiomkin.  That whole saga alone behind a "missing" score and how they hunted it down to use in the Ceremony is a great story for film and Dimitri Tiomkin scholars.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 2

Does anyone know what time the closing ceremony will start in Rio?

4 hours ago, zigzag said:

Does anyone know what time the closing ceremony will start in Rio?

BBC has it scheduled for midnight UK time, so ptesumably about 8pm Rio time.

Intriguingly, the BBC broadcast is set to finish at 1:45 am, which implies a pretty brisk ceremony (here's hoping that means they'll reduce the length of the speeches).

I have a feeling the closing ceremony will be more interesting than the opening ceremony. I'm anxious to watch it now. Luckily, it will be at 11am here.

3 minutes ago, gamesnz said:

I have a feeling the closing ceremony will be more interesting than the opening ceremony. I'm anxious to watch it now. Luckily, it will be at 11am here.

Is this prediction like your OC analysis that people who were there had the best experience of ALL OTHER Opening Ceremonies??  :blink:

Just now, baron-pierreIV said:

Is this prediction like your OC analysis that people who were there had the best experience of ALL OTHER Opening Ceremonies??  :blink:

Have you ever been to an event in Brazil? I have. I've been to Rio 5 times. I know what I am talking about.

And, last year we had the FIFA U-20 World Cup here and I attended some games. When Brazilians were on the field, the Brazilian fans made the difference on the stands. I loved watching them, their support was infectious. 

7 minutes ago, gamesnz said:

Have you ever been to an event in Brazil? I have.

I was at one Gymnastic test event in April.  There were probably about  200-300 people in the stands.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

3 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I was at one Gymnastic test event in April.  There were probably about  200-300 people in the stands.  

Good for you. Shame you didn't get to experience a full stadium. It's awesome.

Just now, gamesnz said:

Good for you. Shame you didn't get to experience a full stadium. It's awesome.

A full stadium is a full stadium anywhere.  Seeing how the Brasilian crowds are behaving these past 2 weeks, I don't think I'm missing anything.  ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, baron-pierreIV said:

A full stadium is a full stadium anywhere.  Seeing how the Brasilian crowds are behaving these past 2 weeks, I don't think I'm missing anything.  ;)

haha sure. You'll never know then.

4 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Honestly, after seeing what happens in European stadiums, with all the racist chanting and the hooligans in the streets (do you remember UEFA Euro?) I'd say the Brazilian crowd behaviour has been quite good. I watched their game against Germany today and all I saw the Brazilians applauding the opposing side and having a good time with fans from different countries. Yeah, nothing out of the ordinary. I guess you are not missing anything...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, gamesnz said:

Honestly, after seeing what happens in European stadiums, with all the racist chanting and the hooligans in the streets (do you remember UEFA Euro?) I'd say the Brazilian crowd behaviour has been quite good. I watched their game against Germany today and all I saw the Brazilians applauding the opposing side and having a good time with fans from different countries. Yeah, nothing out of the ordinary. I guess you are not missing anything...

I didn't see any hooligans and neither listened to any racist chanting in London 2012. You're talking about football, and we all know what football is and what comes with it (fanaticism and disrespectful attitudes), in Europe and in Latin America. And sometimes, it seemed that Brazilian spectators were attending a football match instead of an Olympic event.

• Like 3

So they can't put the Maracana cauldron back in place & relight it, like Vancouver? Is the kinetic sculpture still moving, so they at least have something in the stadium?

1 hour ago, neneu10 said:

13687088_272228296494924_1919112037_n.jp

So they have managed to lay an entire stadium floor overnight- well done!

19 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

BBC has it scheduled for midnight UK time, so ptesumably about 8pm Rio time.

Intriguingly, the BBC broadcast is set to finish at 1:45 am, which implies a pretty brisk ceremony (here's hoping that means they'll reduce the length of the speeches).

Turns out BBC1 has booked the timeslot right through to 4 am, so I don't know where the 1:45am finish thing came from.

Annoyingly, Channel 5 is showing live V Festival up to 1am, featuring RiRi. May have to record that and make the most of my day off work tomorrow.