Sign in to follow this  
AustralianFan

Rio 2016 Closing Ceremony Live Chat

Before I go to sleep, I would love to judge this closing ceremony - but I can't, since I slept during the first one-and-a-half hours :D

I can say, however, that Tokyo really blew this thing out of the water - a truly amazing handover! And more on the closing ceremony tomorrow respectively later today after I have rewatched the first part ;) Good night, good morning and good day to everyone of you, wherever you are!

Overall an ok ceremony. Anybody know what song she was singing during the cauldron extinguishing?

It was good. It was fun. I'll remember Carmen Miranda and Mario. The rest will fade from memory eventually. London's and Sochi's closings are the only ones that have stood the test of my memory.

Edited by Sir Rols

Oh, and one more thing: I hope that I'll see many of you guys again for the Para ceremonies live chats! It sure was great fun!

Just now, Olympian2004 said:

Oh, and one more thing: I hope that I'll see many of you guys again for the Para ceremonies live chats! It sure was great fun!

I'll try - not sure if they'll show it here though. 

But yeah, thanks everyone. Always fun.

I have to rewatch both ceremonies. I found CBC cutting too many times to commercial and missing stuff.

2 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

And now Clare Balding's said goodbye ... That's it until the Paras

London 2012 took the Paralympics to the next level, and it appears Rio is ready to tare it all down. Considering the lack of funding and seemingly total lack of support from the local population, the Paralympics looks like being a nonevent. Extremely sad.

My lasting memory will be from the Pole Vault Medal Ceremony - such a delightful affair.

Thanks Rio. But like South Africa 2010, these games came too soon.

• Like 3

This was kind of sad for me because last time I was in the stadium in London. Well you can't always be there.

Maybe PC...

or Tokyo

1 minute ago, Sir Rols said:

I believe that for the Paralympics, you always have an official live stream that should be accessible from all countries. At least it was that way in the past. The IPC luckily isn't as restrictive about TV rights and livestreaming as the IOC...

Just now, brasilolimpico said:

Presenters at TV Globo ( Brazil) crying!

I feel a bit like that now it's all over too. I can only guess what you Brazilians are feeling... No, I can. I went through the same thing 16 years ago. 

Obrigado Rio. Thanks Brazil. It was a great, fun time. 

6 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

It was good. It was fun. I'll remember Carmen Miranda and Mario. The rest will fade from memory eventually. London's and Sochi's closings are the only ones that have stood the test of my memory.

I still vividly remember Christine Anu singing 'My Island Home' as that huge diamond/cube/dodecahedron stage thing raised her high into the air - and Midnight Oil's "sorry" suits in Sydney...

2 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Seven 2 (or SevenMATE) is telecasting them.  Sadly not the great SBS/ABC coverage of years past...

Just now, thatsnotmypuppy said:

I still vividly remember Christine Anu singing 'My Island Home' as that huge diamond/cube/dodecahedron stage thing raised her high into the air - and Midnight Oil's "sorry" suits in Sydney...

Sydney's different. That's a special place in my memories and heart. I could never really compare that objectively.

4 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

I feel a bit like that now it's all over too. I can only guess what you Brazilians are feeling... No, I can. I went through the same thing 16 years ago. 

I'm thrilled . I'm so proud of my country ! Let's get the glory ! I hope to go to Japan in 2020

All channels closed their broadcasts .

Friends of the world ! We are a big family. We are driven by a passion.

In 2018 we will be going to meet again .

I end with a word that has not translated : 

SAUDADE! :(

Obrigado Rio! Obrigado amigos!

17 minutes ago, SkiFreak said:

Overall an ok ceremony. Anybody know what song she was singing during the cauldron extinguishing?

The title sounded ilke "Pelo tempo que dura" on BBC iPlayer

Great job with the finale Rio. Should have opened your games with it though.

Rio came too soon, but I'm glad it came in my lifetime.

7 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

Sydney's different. That's a special place in my memories and heart. I could never really compare that objectively.

Fair call.

OK two more - 

Izzy's ridiculous introduction in Barcelona's closing.

Gloria Estefan absolutely burying Celine's opening performance at the Atlanta closing.

7 minutes ago, Sir Rols said:

I could not hold my tears when the flame was gone. The opening was fantastic, the closing was fantastic, the games was amazing. I know some people here on GB are still biased by the bad media but everyone will see after that we did a good job. No zika, no terrorism, no serious glitches that could stop any of the thousand of events. I am a proud brazilian this night.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bezzi said:

I could not hold my tears when the flame was gone. The opening was fantastic, the closing was fantastic, the games was amazing. I know some people here on GB are still biased by the bad media but everyone will see after that we did a good job. No zika, no terrorism, no serious glitches that could stop any of the thousand of events. I am a proud brazilian this night.

So you should be.

The sports and even the organisation (after the first few days) seemed to dismiss most of those earlier fears.  

I think we would have loved if more of your countrymen and women would have attended the Games and experienced the different sports.

The rest of the bad news came from idiots you had no control over - be they Russian, American or your own politicians.

The Games were good - could they have been better?  Yes - but you did very well under very trying circumstances.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed these Olympic Games. Since Barcelona, I hadn't had the chance to keep a good taste of satisfaction. Even Tokyo handover was fun. Beijing 2022 will invest a lot to improved what would be achieved by Tokyo 2020.