9 minutes ago, paul said:

oh I see, thanks.

So did the athletes put all those seeds in the lockers? are they going to be planted in the shape of rings or something? And how did each athlete carry in a seed or did all their seeds come in on the tricycles with their procession?

The athletes' seeds will be transported to just outside Rio where they will plant 11,000 new trees to create a new parkland. I'd be surprised if it was in the shape of the rings!

So there was some real substance to that Ring sequence even if it felt a bit awkward up to the point that the greenery sprouted.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Somebody will correct me with a middle-eastern or central Asian example, I'm sure, but as far as I can recall, the ceremonies which have successfully used large-scale floor projection have been in smaller football-type stadia. London had enuogh trouble projecting onto the vertical(ish) surfaces of the Big House.

I don't think it has to do with the size of the venue.  It has to do with placements of overhead girders and how many high-powered projectors you can hang and where strategically they will overlap to form and project your images.  

Favorite parts of the ceremony:

-I loved the slave music a lot

-I also was BLOWN AWAY by the cinematic music score with the "projected buildings rising"....this was the best projection that looked the coolest.

-The all fringe costumes were super-super cool and fun, but didn't like the segment too much (I think this was a "conflict" segment).

-Elza Sores...was ready to hate her but her song was AMAZING!!!!!! best hippest of the segment....cool lady.

-I LOVED MC Soffia....and the girl with her......and their outfits....their songs were COOL!

When I think over it all the VERY favorite parts were music, the visual was actually distracting me at first from realizing how great some of the music was.

Edited by paul

18 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I don't think it has to do with the size of the venue.  It has to do with placements of overhead girders and how many high-powered projectors you can hang and where strategically they will overlap to form and project your images.  

The wider the venue in relation to its height, the shallower the effective projection angle onto a horizontal surface.

My Analysis : OC was beautiful and confused at the same time.

l38zqNM7.jpg

The first few minutes were bad, though it was not part of the ceremony as it was a follow-up countdown. The national anthem was very creative, but it would be interesting to have given more time for the national anthem and a highlight on the participation of children. Brazil's history of segment was very good, especially related to Amerindians. The musical segment was very good! Very good indeed! The environmental segment was rough (hate videos).

WHERE TO GET THE CRITICAL?

The parade of nations could have been preceded by the samba schools of Rio de Janeiro, they could form the corridor would be really cool. The segment of the olympic rings was very cool, but should have been given more prominence in the transmission to the formation of olympic rings (it was an image editing error). -

DISASTER: The CAULDRON

The entrance of the torch was a anticlimax of the ceremony. The relay in the stadium was short (but maybe there were people worthy enough to something bigger). The cauldron itself was horrible. By the time he appeared .... I took a horror shock. The cauldron is actually just a bowl with a sculpture in the background. -

CONCLUSION:

Note 7.00

MY PERSONAL RANKING:

1: London 2012.

2: Beijing 2008.

3: Athens 2004.

4:  RIO 2016

5: SOCHI 2014

6: Vancouver 2010.

Somebody mentioned that Togo guy....That reminds me.  You should have seen NBC's coverage. It was so funny! When that Togo guy walked in all oiled-up, you should have heard Meredith Vieira!  She had trouble focusing on what she was saying, because she got all hot and bothered - just like Brent Musburger did when ESPN put that quarterback's girlfriend on camera during a college football game a couple of years ago! You could hear it in her voice! (lol)

Considering the budget they did a very nice job, Brazil should be proud. I love the message of global warming and being one with nature. The projector was a nice convenience but I wish they used more props (low budget so understandable). The parade of nations was okay. It was too long but the tricycles were amazing. It didn't have the vibe that London did during the parade but it was still nice. After the parade everything seemed rushed. The rings presentation was beatiful (even with the giant cheese graters). The arrival of the Olympic flame was so anticlimactic. They should've announced it once he walked into the stadium not the hallway and then 45 seconds later he comes in. I was waiting for the bowl to light the sculpture but then I realized that the bowl is it.... Which looks pretty bad just a bowl and a sculpture in the back? Although the sun is beautiful. The fireworks throughout were great especially when they formed the rings and spelling out RIO ( I do prefer London's fireworks). I have to rewatch it once it goes up on YouTube because the tape delay and the constant commercials completely ruined it (cudos NBC). Overall very nice, just outside London? Beijing, and Athens. 

28 minutes ago, panamfan said:

Somebody mentioned that Togo guy....That reminds me.  You should have seen NBC's coverage. It was so funny! When that Togo guy walked in all oiled-up, you should have heard Meredith Vieira!  She had trouble focusing on what she was saying, because she got all hot and bothered. 

Meh, Hoda Kotb's "hey, slow it down!" was priceless! That was hysterical. She can so funny & spontaneous. I never watched the today show before she was on it. But sometimes, I might have it on in the mornings, & if someone else is sitting in for her, I don't even bother watching it & quickly change the channel.

Hoda is so humble & real & makes the today fun to watch many times. Unlike those other twats that are on there that can be so uptight, serious, stubborn & phony. But will be watching in the mornings for the next couple of weeks for coverage from her from Rio!

• Like 1

Chicago would have done a better job.

Okay, now that my troll comment is out of the way: 

Having only seen the last half of it (I started watching during my *favorite* part <sarcasm> the Athletes Parade) I was just let down at the end. I was expecting a huge Brazilian celebration and maybe it was the wait of watching the entire parade of nations, the racist jokes of the NBC anchors, or Bob Costas promising an "EPIC mini-carnival you won't want to miss", when the parade was finally done I was just waiting for some epic **** to go down...and it didn't. 

The rings were cool, but the carnival was boring AF. It lacked heart and soul. 

The flame was very anti-climatic (like London), but unlike London I just didn't feel the heart and passion. Overall this ceremony seemed like a shell of what could've been and it lacked the heart, soul, passion, and excitement I feel of other ceremonies. It just didn't fully capture this historic moment. I had also been expecting a massive and epic cultural extravaganza for four years, and it was just too light and weak. 

Then again, I watched it starting during the athletes parade (which I've never done, I've always been able to watch ceremonies all the way through), so if anyone has a link to the full ceremony, I'd appreciate it.

4 minutes ago, FYI said:

Meh, Hoda Kotb's "hey, slow it down!" was priceless! That was hysterical. She can so funny & spontaneous. I never watched the today show before she was on it. But sometimes, I might have it on in the mornings, & if someone else is sitting in for her, I don't even bother watching it & quickly change the channel.

Hoda is so humble & real & makes the today fun to watch many times. Unlike those other twats that are on there that can be so uptight, serious, stubborn & phony. But will be watching in the mornings for the next couple of weeks for coverage from her from Rio!

Same. Hoda was a solid A. 

The thing with NBC commentary is that it can either be a nice addition or God awful. In Sochi it was terrible, London it was okay, but this year they had some solid people. Bringing back Meredith, Bob Costas, and Hoda was a good and solid choice.

Who did they have in London and Sochi?

Oh yeah...2012 was Matt Lauer. Fucking hate the guy, literally the gd worst. He wouldn't shut up and his commentary was so offensive, ridiculous, and unneeded. 

This year the commentary was very very tolerable. They should just have this years three hosts do it every games.

Rio really go all out with their firework display. I wished they reign it in and spend the money on the performance/ props. 

Does anyone really care or amazed by firework in this day and age? I certainly don't. Wouldn't miss it if they completely omit firework in the ceremony. Perhaps a little at the end of the cauldron lighting to round up the ceremony a bit. 

Just feel Rio is wasting a lot of money on the firework display when their budget is so limited. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mr.bernham said:

Same. Hoda was a solid A. 

The thing with NBC commentary is that it can either be a nice addition or God awful. In Sochi it was terrible, London it was okay, but this year they had some solid people. Bringing back Meredith, Bob Costas, and Hoda was a good and solid choice.

Who did they have in London and Sochi?

Except that wasn't Bob Costas. It was Matt Lauer

• Like 1

I thought NBC's commentary was annoying and ignorant of Brazilian history and culture (and music), and also clearly ignorant of most of the Olympic sports, beyond basketball and a few U.S. stars from popular sports.  Also, between them and the clueless director they seemed to COMPLETELY miss the point of much of the ceremony and its message of overcoming the historical and present divisions in Brazil, and the environmental damage we've all wrought, to come together to celebrate life, music, sports, and the fight against environmental destruction and warming.  It's really like they barely prepared at all and thought that pretty pictures and chuckleheaded quips would carry them through.

The ceremony mostly looked beautiful (especially given what they had to work with), and boldly conceived.  It sure took full advantage of the nearly unequaled brilliance and variety of Brazil's musical heritage (when Matt, Merideth, and Hoda shut up long enough for us to hear it).  But the incoherent way it was covered on U.S. television, complete with tape delay, copious commercial interruptions, and lots of hype (stay tuned for the "samba party") made it hard to view in context and fully appreciate.  My dad got to see it on Canadian television in Detroit and said that their presentation (which was live) was both more informative and less distracting.

I finally was able to rewatch the entire ceremony tonight - and I must say that all in all, I really enjoyed it. Of course, there were some weaker parts - but they were not as weak to spoil the fun for me. And, as a matter of fact, I found this ceremony more enjoyable than London's opening ceremony.

My more detailed review in chronological order:

Opening video: Very nice idea to show Rio and Brazil in vertical view, together with that truly emblematic "Aquelo Abraco" song by Gilberto Gil. It set the mood right away, it felt truly Brazilian. But the transition from the video to the live shot in the stadium was a bit sloppy.

Countdown: Well, that was a bit strange and tedious, I must say. That spooky atmosphere and those cheesy reflecting sheets were a complete contradiction to that joyous, beautiful and relaxed opening video. The one thing I liked was the inclusion of "Samba de verao"/"So Nice" (I'm a huge bossa nova fan). But hey, it was only the countdown.

Welcome of the dignity: That was probably the strangest part of the entire ceremony. If they had to resort to introduce only Thomas Bach in fear of boos against Michel Temer, they should rather have had no explicit introduction at all. I also didn't like it because it put a focus on Thomas Bach who has fallen from grace for me after his opportunistic behaviour in the Russian doping scandal.

Brazilian national anthem: As I said already before, after having seen the clip from the dress rehearsal - it was a very beautiful arrangement and I loved that it lacked the pomp of previous national anthem performances at Olympic opening ceremonies. The kids dancing around with their own Brazilian flags gave it an additional moving touch. Very nice!

Amazonas/Indios segment: Stunning visuals with those ropes and the projections. While the projections felt very much Vancouver-2010-like at the start (with the ocean waves - only Vancouver's whales were missing ;)), they got much better later on and conveyed a rain forest atmosphere very well. Another highlight for me.

Colonialisation/immigration segment: It was okay for me, the slightly abstract visuals were very much in line with the Amazonas segment, but it wasn't as stunning visually. I liked the nod to Brazil's big Japanese community, however, and it was maybe also a hommage to Tokyo 2020, right? I think that this is a nice idea, after London had some Brazilian kids included in its James Bond/Elizabeth II segment.

Urbanity segment: Those were probably the best projections of all during the ceremony. Those apartment blocks seemingly rising out of the ground and the corresponding movements of the dancers were very convincingly done. Those projections looked even better than those of Vancouver and Sochi. And I immediately liked how they used those blocks as depiction of a city. Very good dancing and artistic performances here, as well.

Santos Dumont segment: Truly beautiful, even if the transition from the live shot within the stadium and the rendered computer image of the airplane flying out of Maracana was a bit too obvious. But I was immediately won over again when they showed those beautiful night shots of Rio together with the wonderfully romantic rendition of the great "Samba do aviao" by Tom Jobim. That was the moment when it became apparent to me again what a immensely beautiful host city Rio de Janeiro is.

Garota da Ipanema segment: I of course noticed the absence of the street vendor/street robber (?), but I guess the normal audience which wasn't pre-informed about the originally intended segment, didn't notice at all. Gisele Bündchen is a stunningly beautiful woman, "The Girl From Ipanema" is such a iconic song and Daniel Jobim was such a perfect choice to sing his grandfather's song that probably everyone was distracted anyway. ;)

Dubstep/rap segment: While it was nice that they wanted to show Brazil also from a non-Bossa-Nova and more youthful side, the dubstep felt a bit out of fashion and the whole segment felt also a bit too contrived and lengthy.

Intolerance/tolerance segment: A nice political message in truly rough times all over the world - while sadly, one can't solve everything with a song and a joyous dance, it sure created a happy mood and it made me smile. And it was wonderful to see how the whole stadium became a huge party zone as soon as they started to play and sing "País Tropical". Brazil from its best side, if you ask me (as an ignorant gringo who has never been to Brazil before but longs to be there one day ;)).

Enviromental protection segment: The transition from the "País Tropical" party atmosphere to this very serious and political segment was very rough. But I must say that even if the execution was a bit strange, I liked that they addressed the subject and showed how climate change will affect different parts of the world. A powerful message - and the idea of planting one tree per athlete is a very nice one in terms of legacy.

Parade of nations: Quite conventional (maybe apart from the cute and innovative placards) and quite lengthy. London's parade felt a less tedious, even if it probably wasn't much shorter. But the appearance of the refugee and the Brazilian teams at the end were truly an emotional climax, and the choice of "Aquarela do Brasil" as entrance song for Team Brazil was very fitting and created a nice party atmosphere yet again.

Olympic Rings segment: Wonderful idea, nice visuals and very much in line with the ecological concept of the parade and the entire Games.

Speeches: Tooooo long! Nuzman went on and on and on with his motivational speech full of self-praise, Bach went on and on and on while cowardly leaving the most important issue (doping) out and then we had to bear one more speech by Kip Keino. Even if Kip Keino probably deserved that award (even if the award trophy looks immensely ugly), I think that an Olympic opening ceremony is the wrong place for such an award ceremony. They should rather do it in a separate event or at an IOC session. The only nice thing were those cute kids with their dove kites.

Opening adress by Michel Temer: Once more an embarrassing moment when Thomas Bach broke with the Olympic tradition of personally adressing the host country's president. I was surprised, though, that the boos against Temer sounded a lot less intensive than against Lula back then in 2007, at the Pan American Games. But maybe they turned the stadium audio down for the TV feed.

Carrying the Olympic Flag into the stadium and performing the Olympic Anthem: Both were a bit anti-climatic and I must say that while those kids singing the anthem were cute, their English was pretty appalling. Couldn't they have done a better job in teaching them English beforehand? It's "harmony" and not "hamony". I also wonder why it was impossible for them to translate the anthem to Portuguese or perform it in Greek. A nice touch was how Marta became teary-eyed during the performance of the anthem, though.

Oaths: Nothing special here.

Carnival segment: While many probably said, "Oh boy, that's so full of clichés!", I truly enjoyed it. I thought it was a nice gesture to have another show segment even after the parade of nations, so that the athletes could get a piece of the atmosphere before the parade as well. And as you probably guessed already, it made me happy yet again to see all those dancing people with to that joyous music. 

Cauldron lighting: A rather weak one, compared to previous lighting ceremonies in Olympic history. It became too apparent that the segment of Gustavo Kuerten entering the bowels of the stadium was pre-recorded (the German TV commentators even pointed that out during the live broadcast), there was no real suspense (also due to the fact that there were only three torchbearers within the stadium and it proceeded rather quickly) and the cauldron lighting itself was not exacty spectacular or emotional. It looked nicer when the kinetic sculpture started moving, and it sure is a bizarre (but interesting) construction. But London created a far more stirring lighting scenario (also with better music and more suspense).

Fireworks: Those were great, though. I was particularly impressed by the fireworks that created the illusions that the whole stadium was burning and had become one big cauldron. And the view of Cristo Redendor during that segment was not exactly new, but still impressive.

So my overall verdict is: Rio scored 8 out of 10 points. It was not an iconic opening ceremony for me like Barcelona's or Sydney's, but in my view it captured the essence of the host country and its people well and created a great party atmosphere. So it set the right tone for the Games. And the organisers deserve huge kudos for putting on such an impressive and emotional show at such a (relatively) low budget. This is hopefully the way to go for Pyeongchang, Tokyo, Beijing and all the host cities to come! Even if I doubt that all those hitech Asian nations will refrain from lavish or even bombastic ceremonies. Very well done, Rio!

• Like 2

Rewatching the Opening Ceremony again, this time from BBC feedback. What I said before still stands. A 7,5-8 out of 10. A ceremony not without its cons but certainly beautiful and brazilian. You guys should feel proud of what you did last night and i'm sure its going to be a day to be remembered in history from now on. 

I wonder if the use of low budget will open now more room for innovation and will start a trend for future ceremonies? For what i've seen both Korea and Japan seem to be kinda stingy when doing ceremonies for sport events (except for the 1988 olympics/2002 WC ). So maybe they should try following the example of Rio's by using a similar budget but increasing creativity. Just a personal opinion :P

Personally speaking and, considering the low budget, the Rio ceremonies fulfilled my expectations...

It has to be remembered as the ceremony of ingenuity, visual effects and joyfull.

They were able to give a touch of festivity,  in a clear smaller way that we have seen so far, but mantaining the good taste and keeping emotions high.

Talkig about the elements of the ceremony: despite projections were a repeated element, had some new effects, as the raising buldings that was an awesome effect.

And, precisely, they played so much with the visual effects using geometrical forms and mix of colors, starting with the countdown segment using those piece of silver material that were converted in pillows just by waving them... A massive effect, that we can farly resemble Beijing (mostly when they hited the pillows), but getting an achieved emotional moment.  Also I can point out the indigenious shelters and how they interwaved the linens, creating an effect of caleydoscope (I think only visible for TV audiences), the "fight" segment that played with the colors of the space in which ther were "standing" and playing with the shadows of the participants, reaching another original, cheap but very clever effect.

Santos Dumont segment was funny, entertaining and very well achieved by showing the city in such nice way using the video resource (strongly introduced in London)

The boxes were simple but effective. And the strong ecological message was the break point in comparison with other ceremonies, since they stood in a contemporary issue in a direct way.

I loved the flower bikes: another attractive, colorful, familiar and simple idea... and affective again...

The rings formation (this time after the parade) was another display of simpliicity and effective idea...

The new prize introduced in this ceremony will be another legacy of Rio ceremonies....

The carnival segment was the most lavish segment, by a mass presentation full of color and hapiness (at that point it seemed most of the athletes had abandoned the stadium)

In absolute coherence with the full message given along the ceremony,  the lighting of the cauldron was simple, smart and ecologic, since they stated it is not possible anymore to burn thousands of CO2 tons to the air by simply showing an Olympic extravaganza... Besides, the money waste it really means (none can deny it) facing sincerely, for the first time, a problem that more than one time we have thought but none said before...

No lower points I can poin out, since it was a warm, close, friendly and conciliatory ceremony. No huge technological dislpays but a direct and strong message... I think one of the most strongest for an Olympic ceremony ever...

Yes, I liked and I totally agree Ikarus360... The legacy of Rio Opening Ceremony may be the new way to make ceremonies: accordance with the times,answering the population claims,  facing real world problems, getting close of people expectation: the end of wasteful spending, a real problem that is threatening the event itself. Just take a look in the recent bid process - not only for Olympics, but regional Games as well - and the high levels of population reject for high costs that they mean.

After all... Agenda 2020 proposal for the new Olympic times is exactly about this... Bring the Olympics to people level.... throwing out overspendings, white elephants, over debts that can lead to the bunkruptof  the cities... a real problem that has been happening from a certain time up to now. Simplicity, high demands of creativity and warm ceremonies...

Let's see if the upcoming "eastern" Games will continue the simplicity and creativity way that Rio set up for ceremonies, or will they return to the traditional and, at this point,  dangerous Olympic extravaganza...

Giant Pile Of Cocaine Steals The Show At #Rio2016 Olympic Opening Ceremony

"It was beautiful. The most beautiful thing I have ever seen"

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/headlines/giant-pile-of-cocaine-steals-the-show-at-rio2016-olympic-opening-ceremony/

RIO-coke.jpg

6 August, 2016 14:15

CLANCY OVERELL | Editor | CONTACT

A giant pile has stolen the show at the Rio Olympics Opening Ceremony, in a stunningly choreographed appearance at centre of the stadium.

Alongside dancing foam AK-47 assault rifles and an army of chainsaw weiilding lumberjacks cutting down brilliantly costumed ‘Amazon rainforest trees’, Brazillian supermodel Giselle Bundchen also impressed in a silver gown that sparkled through the huge arena – as she strutted down one of longest catwalks of her life as ‘The Girl From Ipanema’

Filmmaker Fernando Meirelles, the Opening Ceremony’s creative director, had envisioned Bundchen to be involved in a controversial skit where she would be mugged by a poor boy.

However, the segment was canned after it was seen as inappropriate, and playing into racial stereotypes and was a potentially over-the-top addition to the amazing ceremony that had already focused on the discourse of drug cartels and rampant political corruption.

Competitors and spectators alike have lauded the amazing spectacle, with many stating the city’s honesty was what really shone through.

Former Olympic swimmer Geoff Huegill said he has never seen anything as beautiful as the giant pile of Brazilian marching powder in the centre of the ceremony.

“I was drooling,” he said.

“It was beautiful. The most beautiful thing I have ever seen,”

“Giselle wasn’t bad either, but the dancing AK-47s and giant pile of coke was just so brilliantly executed. Best opening ceremony I’ve ever watched.”

With a month of athletic prowess ahead of us, the international community looks forward to seeing what else Rio has to offer.