6 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

That basically knocks Beijing's entire OC out of contention- it was an hour of people doing synchronised movement in neat lines (like those Brazilians with their pillows) but stuffed full of references that only well-educated Chinese people could hope to get for themselves.

Not really.  Their OC was built on their (supposed) four contributions to the current global civilization:: paper, moveable printing blocks (adapted in the west by Guttenberg using Latin script), the compass and gunpowder.  That's all you needed to know to enjoy that show.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Not really.  Their OC was built on their (supposed) four contributions to the current global civilization:: paper, moveable printing blocks (adapted in the west by Guttenberg using Latin script), the compass and gunpowder.  That's all you needed to know to enjoy that show.  

You didn't need to know anything at all to enjoy Rio's people dancing with shiny plastic bags: you could easily chose to think of it as a parody of Beijing's fou drummers- but in both Rio and Beijing, there was stuff we could discover for ourselves and tell each other about which added layers of meaning, as there has been in pretty much every recent Olympic opening ceremony.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Come to think of it- your statement there is a great tribute to the propaganda brilliance of the Beijing ceremony. There were a dozen separate scenes in the cultural performance, but the media were told that it was about the four great inventions, so between them telling us that, and the repetition in the performances, we ended up with a neatly simplified memory of the event.

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Don't get me wrong.  I did not dislike the Rio Opening.  It was nice and colorful; and I loved many of the projections.  In retrospect, I just found that opening sequence baffling?  The rest of the show was fairly representative of Brazil and their environmental msg--which I had no problems with. 

On BBC, the commentators did specifically link the scene both to the Brazilian spirit of improvisation with limited resources, and to Bulcão.

52 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

On BBC, the commentators did specifically link the scene both to the Brazilian spirit of improvisation with limited resources, and to Bulcão.

Well, on NBC they didn't!!  So sorreee-- I don't get BBC. :wacko:   Why do you KEEP PUSHING other platforms which I have NO ACCESS to, and when I can only speak for what I saw?  So please don't be absurd.  :angry:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

5 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Well, on NBC they didn't!!  So sorreee-- I don't get BBC. :wacko:   Why do you KEEP PUSHING other platforms which I have NO ACCESS to, and when I can only speak for what I saw?  So please don't be absurd.  :angry:

It sounds very much as if NBC's commentators had one job to do, and they blew it !

• Like 1