Jump to content

Recommended Posts

By the existing national situation, another meaning of mine for a minimalist one. The cauldron had the same mechanism used for the 1979 Pan-American Games, but the design, heh, similar to the 2007 Pan-American Games.

 

I feel bad for the country nowadays, but the damage is done. And I spotted a glitch: Bach failed to give the honour to the Brazilian president to proclaim the games open.

And the beginning, before the Amazonia segment, didn't catch it. Not even the countdown.

The cauldron design, the sun has returned.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Faiyez said:

The urbanization segment (buildings rising) was epic.

And I'm sorry but the cauldron was very cool (even though I was already familiar with the kinetic art).

Yes- that was the stand out for me, great projections, movement leading up to the high rise/ favelas at the end.

The narrative blurred the lines between high rise,and favela living- it just was the story of high density life, which was quite clever and inclusive.

I think Bach deliberately did not introduce the 'head of state' so the official opening could be done quickly as a surprise - before people could boo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, guilherme said:

The parkour segment really bugged my head

 

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36993657

I liked how they used the projections to depict the floor buildings rising. It really set them apart from the projections Sochi and Vancouver had. But after that the wall climbing I found ridiculous and reminded me of the stupid climbing segment Turin had right before their Olympic rings reveal.

And for me that's where it downhill. What a mistake to give a segment that highlighted the millennials. And the dancing segment right before the global warming segment was just a complete mess and bore. I think those boxes were really a waste and they should have found a more creative way to instill such a segment. They really could have used the extra income from those seat tickets lol

Other things I didn't like was the beginning leading up to the national anthem. What a lack of creation right there. The mini carnaval was also pretty weak. The costumes were lackluster and there were no beautiful floats that we see in a real carnaval.

On the plus, their fireworks were amazing. Without the fireworks the olympic rings reveal would have been pretty pathetic. I loved the indigenous people and immigrants part. And despite the design of the cauldron not being original, I think it's beautiful. I did find it humerous that the BBC commentator mentioned that the cauldron itself was small because they wanted to conserve energy and reduce the amount of emissions, yet I don't believe that sun mobile is powered by solar energy. Plus they just released a buttload of bad crap from the fireworks after the cauldron was lit lol

Overall though for an Olympic opening ceremony, it was weak. In my book it's in the bottom, right there with London and Athens. Yes I know some of you will be shocked at my bottom ranking of London. As brilliant as the Pandemonium segment was, as well as that tribute sequence, everything else about the London OC sucked so bad it couldn't save either of those two segments.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, eternalcobi said:

And I spotted a glitch: Bach failed to give the honour to the Brazilian president to proclaim the games open.

 

I'm sure it was done in purpose. They tried as much as they could to prevent the inevitable which was Temer getting booed to death. They didn't even announced him after the countdown. They only announced Thomas Bach. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, LatinXTC said:

Plus they just released a buttload of bad crap from the fireworks after the cauldron was lit lol

I thought the first time it was just my TV having problems with the colors, but you're right. The fireworks after the Cauldron were a bit too much. The stadium literally looked like a fireball, I mean look at this.

vi63sCu.png

PfMPCCu.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok guys. Finally at the apartment.

Watching the ceremony at the live site on Olympic Boulevard was an extraordinary experience. 

About the ceremony itself, well, nice start, messy with the guys at the "favelas", but what a way to end! Everyone was dancing at the Fan Site when the samba started. It was a simple but beautiful ceremony, very meaningful. Loved the green rings and, I confess, I got emotional with the cauldron lit. A simple but beautiful cauldron. I'm planning to visit the one at Candelaria in the next days. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

I thought the first time it was just my TV having problems with the colors, but you're right. The fireworks after the Cauldron were a bit too much. The stadium literally looked like a fireball, I mean look at this.

vi63sCu.png

PfMPCCu.png

I genuinely thought for a second there might have been an explosion outside, thought it was far too much smoke/light for fireworks but I was wrong.. Too over the top 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mkiGMtbrPM

29 minutes ago, LatinXTC said:

I liked how they used the projections to depict the floor buildings rising. It really set them apart from the projections Sochi and Vancouver had. But after that the wall climbing I found ridiculous and reminded me of the stupid climbing segment Turin had right before their Olympic rings reveal.

And for me that's where it downhill. What a mistake to give a segment that highlighted the millennials. And the dancing segment right before the global warming segment was just a complete mess and bore. I think those boxes were really a waste and they should have found a more creative way to instill such a segment. They really could have used the extra income from those seat tickets lol

Other things I didn't like was the beginning leading up to the national anthem. What a lack of creation right there. The mini carnaval was also pretty weak. The costumes were lackluster and there were no beautiful floats that we see in a real carnaval.

On the plus, their fireworks were amazing. Without the fireworks the olympic rings reveal would have been pretty pathetic. I loved the indigenous people and immigrants part. And despite the design of the cauldron not being original, I think it's beautiful. I did find it humerous that the BBC commentator mentioned that the cauldron itself was small because they wanted to conserve energy and reduce the amount of emissions, yet I don't believe that sun mobile is powered by solar energy. Plus they just released a buttload of bad crap from the fireworks after the cauldron was lit lol

Overall though for an Olympic opening ceremony, it was weak. In my book it's in the bottom, right there with London and Athens. Yes I know some of you will be shocked at my bottom ranking of London. As brilliant as the Pandemonium segment was, as well as that tribute sequence, everything else about the London OC sucked so bad it couldn't save either of those two segments.

the people made the ceremony are the same company that did turin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to be honest that I thought the beginning was too projector based and, even with the budget in mind, too concentrated in certain parts of the stadium. The one thing I didn't like about the parade is how the athletes were sprawled about in the back. The samba section was great. My favorite part is that, however hard we tried to figure out the cauldron exactly, we never got it right and I was still surprised.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I just finished watching NBC's coverage of the Rio 2016 Opening Ceremony.  I thought the ceremony was nice - the projection system was interesting and the flavor of Brazil's culture was on display.  The cauldron for once actually looked like a cauldron - a witch's cauldron! (lol)  I really liked the rendition of the Olympic Hymn - although I was surprised it was sung in English - and it seemed to be performed at a slightly faster arrangement than usual.

As far as NBC goes, I give it the following ratings:

Thumbs up

They actually showed every single nation in the parade.

The announcers (Matt Lauer, Meredith Vieira, and Hoda Kotb) actually talked much less than NBC announcers at past ceremonies.

They did not talk at all during the Olympic Hymn

They did not talk during IOC President Bach's speech - and they showed the entire speech including the tribute to Kip Keino.

Thumbs down

They did not show the President of the Organizing Committee's Speech

They did not show any of the oaths (yet again)

They signed off rather abruptly after the flame was lit, even though the fireworks were still going off

Seriously, the broadcast was five hours long and they couldn't find time these things?  I'm not surprised, given their past behavior.

One blooper though, NBC showed the USA entrance and stayed with team USA as they walked around the stadium.  In the background you could hear the next 3 or 4 teams introduced.  NBC then went to commercial, and when they came back they picked up with the next team after the USA - complete with the same PA introduction heard earlier! (Oops!) (lol)

In conclusion, I'll say that NBC is getting better, and learning from past mistakes, but still has a way to go.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

What's the budget looking like for Rio? I guess money talks cause Sochi's was pretty damn good but that was a bit of a let down so you'd want to hope they're spending far less..

Based on the numbers alone, Rio cut A LOT for the opening ceremonies. They spent only a 1/10th of what London did, & 1/20th of what Beijing did. And considering that Sochi was the most expensive Olympics ever, summer or winter, their ceremonies weren't that great, relatively speaking.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...