Just now, Olympic Fan Darcy said:

Decent start, good end but a shockingly bad middle..

You mean the athletes' parade ?

So how do you put such a cauldron on display after the games?

Overall, a very good ceremony, though not without its couple of cons. Brazil did an amazing work with such a tight budget. Today they proved you can still pull out a memorable spectacle without so much opulence.

Thanks for everything, guys. Now lets enjoy these 16 days of competition, and good luck to all countries on these games :) 

Just now, hektor said:

You mean the athletes' parade ?

All the other stuff too, speeches, the lighting of the cauldron (the cauldron itself was good), the laureate thing was odd cause straight after they opened the games out of nowhere?!, the dancing stuff, lack of athletes. So much bad. 

Can easily say these are the least favourite ceremonies I have experienced live (Olympics wise). However it did have its highlights and Brazil did its best it can!

1 minute ago, Ikarus360 said:

Thanks for everything, guys. Now lets enjoy these 16 days of competition, and good luck to all countries on these games :) 

Thank you, Ikarus360.

There was a couple of very good parts. Also some very bad parts. The cauldron is interesting. I love the kinetic sculpture but it just looks awkward.

Worst ceremony since Atlanta 1996. But in saying that I initially hated Athens 2004, but now think it was one of the most brilliant. 

Athens - fantastic

Beijing - phenomenal

London - outstanding

Rio - meh

I found it underwhelming but we can't have Beijing or London every four years.

Felt a bit like a step back to the past, like the ceremonies from last century.

Edited by hektor

Brazil has done a good job on a small budget. I liked the focus on the environment and climate change. Some great music as well. The speeches were too long and the background was distracting. 

So much promises in the beginning but dips all the way to the end. A lot of it should be in the closing ceremony instead. I think this is the worst most anti climatic cauldron ever. Yes the kinetic sun is interesting but it's just a backdrop. The actual cauldron is just a freaking bowl hung on some ropes. Shocking. 

• Like 2

The cauldron at Candelária is a replica of that one inside the stadium. It's going to be lit into 15 to 20 minutes. A 14 years old boy is goingo to lit it. This boy was a homeless one.

Just now, micheal_warren said:

Brazil has done a good job on a small budget. I liked the focus on the environment and climate change. Some great music as well. The speeches were too long and the background was distracting. 

The speeches were about the same length as London's. The IOC boss always needs to be reined in.

Thanks for the chat guys. Hubby walked out in the middle of the athlete's parade t0 get a haircut. Smart move (I remember i actually went to the shops during London's OC athlete's parade - and made it back in plenty of time for the rest). 

Edited by Sir Rols

1 minute ago, guilherme said:

57a53c819540f.jpeg

:blink: ...I have a bigger bowl of popcorn in front of me right now.