It's gonna be pretty late in Western Europe: In Germany, the broadcast of the Opening Ceremony is scheduled to start at 23:40 and go all the way to 05:00. That's pretty hardcore, but then again, some revellers coming home from parties or just being sports enthusiasts may very well be curious to take a peek. Since it's not a working day tomorrow, I may stay up for a bit, or maybe even longer (depending on whether the ceremony manages to capture my imagination). Otherwise, I'll just DVR it and get myself some sleep.

That said, I'm genuinely wondering how high/low the ratings will be in Europe. The Olympic Movement isn't exactly very popular around these parts (Germany, Netherlands I suspect elsewhere like France and Scandinavia as well) and is more synonymous for elitism, lack of attention and borderline obnoxiousness concerning doping, onerous hosting requirements and host country human rights abuses. So, given the late hour and the latest news about the Russian doping scandal (and the IOC's lack of any spine), I wonder how many Germans will even bother to watch...

Sorry, but I fail to summon the same level of enthusiasm and joyous spirit for these Games than I did for London 2012, Athens 2004 or Sydney 2000...

7 hours ago, kevzz said:

Also interested to see how they do the Brazilian national anthem. In my opinion, London really screwed up the national anthem by having kids choir. It really is the worst rendition of all ceremonies ever. The Paralympic version is so so much better and appropriate for the Olympic. 

:ph34r: 

4 hours ago, panamfan said:

Hi!  I'm all excited about watching the opening ceremony tonight on NBC.  And I can't help but think of a certain song that I think captures the excitement of the moment:

"Overture, Curtain, Lights!

This is It - The Night of Nights!

No More Rehearsing or Nursing a Part!

We Know Every Part By Heart!

Overture! Curtain! Lights!

This is It - We'll Hit the Heights!

And, Oh What Heights We'll Hit!

On With The Show This Is It!"

-The Bugs Bunny Overture (1961)

Enjoy the Opening Ceremony everyone!

AHH, the memories of saturday morning cartoons!!

10 minutes ago, plusbrilliantsexploits said:

It's gonna be pretty late in Western Europe: In Germany, the broadcast of the Opening Ceremony is scheduled to start at 23:40 and go all the way to 05:00. That's pretty hardcore, but then again, some revellers coming home from parties or just being sports enthusiasts may very well be curious to take a peek.

Broadcasters on Central European Time seem to be doing that a lot- starting their introductions late today, and just slogging through to the 1am start. Maybe not so much those on East European time though- they seem more inclined to write it off, and start as close as decent to 2am.

I indeed got it wrong. It will be starting at 1 am, not 11pm. It's a bit frustrating. It better be good, cause after a hard week of work, I don't feel like staying up all night.
When I see that some of the swimming finals are held at 4 am...

Since Tokyo 2020 will be pretty much the same... The continental rotation suddenly makes so much sense! 2024 HAS to go to Europe!

Just came back from work. Fox Sports Latin America will be showing the Opening Ceremonies here. 

BBC One has already started the program with Countdown to Rio chit-chat show from 8.30 - 10pm. Getting excited!

Can't believe we're finally here again at the start of another Olympics! :)

Let's hope all the problems and doubts will soon be cast aside once the Opening Ceremony gets underway.

Here's to Rio 2016 and a truly great experience for athletes, spectators and, not least, for Brazilians everywhere!!! :D

Not too much of a spoiler at this point, to be honest. A lot of us already knew this was going to be the design. 

Hey Guys :)

If this is really the cauldron (what I imagine, or not ?! ^^), I am wondering in which way they will have the fire and Gaslines in the Structure. As you can see, there is no space for a ''flame'' and I can't see anything that looks like little holes in it for the Gas come out and lit.

Very suspect in my mind :blink:

4ae5757c0ac7219003621a7daad45b9b.jpg

I know many of us don't support him but tbh this was very untasteful and unprofessional from his part.

1 minute ago, Callum27 said:

Maybe that's not the cauldron, maybe it's for another part of the show and its there to fool us?

Yep, this is the cauldron 

CpBmf9nUsAI8pVe.jpg

Tokyo Skytree is now being colored with the colors of Brazil. Nice touch/gesture from the future host. 

• Like 2