you can tell the budget was smaller. and the "green" theme did ring a little hollow with their toxic water they've not bothered to clean up.
 didn't like the cauldron. i like when the flame shoots up the sides of the stadium. but the beginning was cool and all.

1 minute ago, Sir Rols said:

Thanks for the chat guys. Hubby walked out in the middle of the athlete's parade it get a haircut. Smart move (I remember i actually went to the shops during London's OC athlete's parade). 

It's really odd having a live chat with people who are in the middle of Saturday ...

The cauldron lighter was attacked during the 2004 marathon. He had been leading. Ended up with the bronze. Kind of a nice vindication.

• Like 2

I actually think the creative parts of the ceremony were good, lots of heart and passion and innovation- it is the pacing that let the show down....the speeches, Kip Keino killed the momentum after the wonderful tree rings.... and then the Carnivale came from no- where, then ground to a halt, then started again.... and the flame seemed anti climatic for some reason.

But for the budget, and for the times a job well done.....I refuse to compare it to Beijing, or Doha or Baku that just burned 10s of millions of dollars.

Apparently, Pele was going to be the last torchbearer, but he got ill all of the sudden and had to leave at last minute. Hence why they picked Da Lima at last second. 

What's the budget looking like for Rio? I guess money talks cause Sochi's was pretty damn good but that was a bit of a let down so you'd want to hope they're spending far less..

2 minutes ago, Kenadian said:

The cauldron lighter was attacked during the 2004 marathon. He had been leading. Ended up with the bronze. Kind of a nice vindication.

Oh really good to know! Thanks for that. 

my review of the rio opening ceremony

it started a bit of a mess i still don't get the upside down peace sign symbol and the national anthem could have been a success if the kept it simple and not add thoes children  

but from indigious section up to the end it's a sucess. i loved the immigration section and the favela was beautiful.

the transition for the gliesel to the favela scene was non-existant. it looked unfisinsh (i don't know if most of the media got that feeling)

thank god for projections because i have a feeling that they might do the sliperry spole of 'school play' mode.

in the parade of nation section, i hate the marshall outfit. looks like a pancho that never tried. i like the idea of a short ramp. the placebearer is inventive. the child mascot remind me of 2012 and i think it's a great addition to the OC.

the atlleathes plating seed is a great way to keep them distracted.

the doves were ok. kite have been done in atlanta but still an added element that they have an award with it.

the canival scene should have been after the lighting. it could have been thier paul macathney. but it just look odd

the couldrun was a meh. thier trying to make it  look like panam 2007 but it just went south. 

also the rings took so long to be presented. the peace sign thingy should have been replace with the rings or even the fireworks display of the rings. 

overall, bad start, great middle, luckluster ending.  

• Like 1

Need to sleep over this. For now, this is my least fave OC to date. Feel very chaotic and no standout moments for me. Over dependant on floor projection and a horrible gimmicky cauldron. Probably will like it more after watching the rerun tmr. Good night! 

You can do wonders with a small budget. Athens sure did. Understated doesn't have to be cheap, but this was cheap and blah.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Faster said:

You can do wonders with a small budget. Athens sure did. Understated doesn't have to be cheap, but this was cheap and blah.

Athen's opening ceremony budget was small???

supernatural-confused.gif

• Like 1

By the existing national situation, another meaning of mine for a minimalist one. The cauldron had the same mechanism used for the 1979 Pan-American Games, but the design, heh, similar to the 2007 Pan-American Games.

I feel bad for the country nowadays, but the damage is done. And I spotted a glitch: Bach failed to give the honour to the Brazilian president to proclaim the games open.

And the beginning, before the Amazonia segment, didn't catch it. Not even the countdown.

The cauldron design, the sun has returned.

The urbanization segment (buildings rising) was epic.

And I'm sorry but the cauldron was very cool (even though I was already familiar with the kinetic art).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Faiyez said:

The urbanization segment (buildings rising) was epic.

And I'm sorry but the cauldron was very cool (even though I was already familiar with the kinetic art).

Yes- that was the stand out for me, great projections, movement leading up to the high rise/ favelas at the end.

The narrative blurred the lines between high rise,and favela living- it just was the story of high density life, which was quite clever and inclusive.

I think Bach deliberately did not introduce the 'head of state' so the official opening could be done quickly as a surprise - before people could boo.

24 minutes ago, guilherme said:

The parkour segment really bugged my head

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36993657

I liked how they used the projections to depict the floor buildings rising. It really set them apart from the projections Sochi and Vancouver had. But after that the wall climbing I found ridiculous and reminded me of the stupid climbing segment Turin had right before their Olympic rings reveal.

And for me that's where it downhill. What a mistake to give a segment that highlighted the millennials. And the dancing segment right before the global warming segment was just a complete mess and bore. I think those boxes were really a waste and they should have found a more creative way to instill such a segment. They really could have used the extra income from those seat tickets lol

Other things I didn't like was the beginning leading up to the national anthem. What a lack of creation right there. The mini carnaval was also pretty weak. The costumes were lackluster and there were no beautiful floats that we see in a real carnaval.

On the plus, their fireworks were amazing. Without the fireworks the olympic rings reveal would have been pretty pathetic. I loved the indigenous people and immigrants part. And despite the design of the cauldron not being original, I think it's beautiful. I did find it humerous that the BBC commentator mentioned that the cauldron itself was small because they wanted to conserve energy and reduce the amount of emissions, yet I don't believe that sun mobile is powered by solar energy. Plus they just released a buttload of bad crap from the fireworks after the cauldron was lit lol

Overall though for an Olympic opening ceremony, it was weak. In my book it's in the bottom, right there with London and Athens. Yes I know some of you will be shocked at my bottom ranking of London. As brilliant as the Pandemonium segment was, as well as that tribute sequence, everything else about the London OC sucked so bad it couldn't save either of those two segments.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, eternalcobi said:

And I spotted a glitch: Bach failed to give the honour to the Brazilian president to proclaim the games open.

I'm sure it was done in purpose. They tried as much as they could to prevent the inevitable which was Temer getting booed to death. They didn't even announced him after the countdown. They only announced Thomas Bach. 

4 minutes ago, LatinXTC said:

Plus they just released a buttload of bad crap from the fireworks after the cauldron was lit lol

I thought the first time it was just my TV having problems with the colors, but you're right. The fireworks after the Cauldron were a bit too much. The stadium literally looked like a fireball, I mean look at this.

vi63sCu.png

PfMPCCu.png

Ok guys. Finally at the apartment.

Watching the ceremony at the live site on Olympic Boulevard was an extraordinary experience. 

About the ceremony itself, well, nice start, messy with the guys at the "favelas", but what a way to end! Everyone was dancing at the Fan Site when the samba started. It was a simple but beautiful ceremony, very meaningful. Loved the green rings and, I confess, I got emotional with the cauldron lit. A simple but beautiful cauldron. I'm planning to visit the one at Candelaria in the next days. 

6 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

I thought the first time it was just my TV having problems with the colors, but you're right. The fireworks after the Cauldron were a bit too much. The stadium literally looked like a fireball, I mean look at this.

vi63sCu.png

PfMPCCu.png

I genuinely thought for a second there might have been an explosion outside, thought it was far too much smoke/light for fireworks but I was wrong.. Too over the top