*****semi spoiler****

Hazel Irvine on BBC saying themes will be looking after the environment, making the most of what you've got and looking after the earth's resources, and Brazilian music

The director was asked to describe the last three Summer ceremonies and he said Athens was classical, Beijing was muscular and London was smart. The word he using for Rio's is 'cool'.

Also says Judi Dench is involved!!

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 2

Interesting. The BBC correspondent attended the rehearsal and said that the ceremony is going to be cool, being kind to the environment, making the best of what they've got, modest understated ceremony that convey great joy in carnival, dance, music, love, sensuous, serene curve of rio's beach front. 

Yes Rob I saw her summarise the ceremony too. But I picked up most on what she said about....(possible spoiler)

how it will be a very carbon neutral ceremony which may be very relevant later on. Is it possible there may be no actual flame at all in the cauldron?

Just now, pjpauly2k said:

Yes Rob I saw her summarise the ceremony too. But I picked up most on what she said about....(possible spoiler)

how it will be a very carbon neutral ceremony which may be very relevant later on. Is it possible there may be no actual flame at all in the cauldron?

I am also intrigued by her 'wink wink' connotation to this carbon neutral comment. It must have something to do with the flame!

"less carbon emitting ceremony" isn't exactly a high bar to beat as far as the flame is concerned. Think back at the last very cauldrons. London had one gas line for each country, Vancouver had 4 massive flames. Beijing's was huge!!! even only having 5 modest gas heads would be less carbon emitting than normal. Those 5 or 1 will be multiplilied by mirrors. Don't expect anything crazy like no flame. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob. said:

It would be odd to do a huge torch relay across Brazil then not have an Olympic flame at the end of it. Unless they are REALLY going to make a statement that changes the tradition for all future Games. Maybe they'll make a big thing of it.

There's zero chance they axe the cauldron. We know what it looks like and how its going to work. I won't get into details because I know some people want to be surprised but there's going to be one and there's going to be real fire. 

2 minutes ago, Blazerblaz3 said:

There's zero chance they axe the cauldron. We know what it looks like and how its going to work. I won't get into details because I know some people want to be surprised but there's going to be one and there's going to be real fire. 

Probably will be a smaller flame or a single small flame moving from one point to another