Also interested to see how they do the Brazilian national anthem. In my opinion, London really screwed up the national anthem by having kids choir. It really is the worst rendition of all ceremonies ever. The Paralympic version is so so much better and appropriate for the Olympic. 

Yeah but our national anthem is - musically - utter sh*te anyway. I think the only decent version I've heard of it was at the Beijing handover. I thought subverting the outward nationalism and pomposity usually associated with anthems and having the Deaf Children's Choir singing it was a nice touch and fitted in well with the tone of the ceremony.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob. said:

2012 Only poked my head in here, wanted to watch the ceremony without distraction

To tell the truth, I'm a little bit like that with the live chats, be they ceremonies or WC matches. I'll pop on to make the odd comment in natural (or commercial) breaks, but otherwise I wanna watch what's unfolding on the screen more than concentrating on what's being said second by second here. That said, I can't stop myself totally from keeping an eye on the general responses...

The after-show reviews and verdicts is where the fun starts.

Looking forward to some surprises - I've really totally resisted the temptation of looking into the general ceremonies thread since they started the rehearsals earlier this week.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, daveypodmore said:

I think Im going to go to bed, wake up super early and watch it. Its on too late here. Then I will come on here and post thoughts. 

No! Watch it live, watch it again on iPlayer at 4am while commenting here alongside the Pacific Time crowd of NBC victims, then watch the streamlined version on BBC later in the morning.

Then go shopping.

Hi!  I'm all excited about watching the opening ceremony tonight on NBC.  And I can't help but think of a certain song that I think captures the excitement of the moment:

"Overture, Curtain, Lights!

This is It - The Night of Nights!

No More Rehearsing or Nursing a Part!

We Know Every Part By Heart!

Overture! Curtain! Lights!

This is It - We'll Hit the Heights!

And, Oh What Heights We'll Hit!

On With The Show This Is It!"

-The Bugs Bunny Overture (1961)

Enjoy the Opening Ceremony everyone!

This might have been my first since I joined after 2012 and didn't (rather, couldn't) watch 2014 live, but I'll be at someone else's house who has a huge projector in her basement to watch the ceremony on. Maybe I'll do the live chat for 2018. I'll be sitting in my dorm room anyway doing nothing by then.

I'm so excited! Though it will start at 11 pm here in France, I'm definitely wathing it. I've seen all the Summer Olympics OC live since 1996. And I remember very well 4 years ago when I was living in Oxford, watching the OC and thinking it was taking place so close from where I was (I've never been to any Olympics, but one day I will, hopefully 2024 if Paris is awarded the Games).

When I left Oxford in September 2012, the guy who took my room in the house I was sharing had just competed for the Zimbabwe team in the 2012 Games, and he was gong to stay in Oxford to train for the 2016 Games (he was a rower). I wonder if I'll see him during the nations parade...

It's gonna be pretty late in Western Europe: In Germany, the broadcast of the Opening Ceremony is scheduled to start at 23:40 and go all the way to 05:00. That's pretty hardcore, but then again, some revellers coming home from parties or just being sports enthusiasts may very well be curious to take a peek. Since it's not a working day tomorrow, I may stay up for a bit, or maybe even longer (depending on whether the ceremony manages to capture my imagination). Otherwise, I'll just DVR it and get myself some sleep.

That said, I'm genuinely wondering how high/low the ratings will be in Europe. The Olympic Movement isn't exactly very popular around these parts (Germany, Netherlands I suspect elsewhere like France and Scandinavia as well) and is more synonymous for elitism, lack of attention and borderline obnoxiousness concerning doping, onerous hosting requirements and host country human rights abuses. So, given the late hour and the latest news about the Russian doping scandal (and the IOC's lack of any spine), I wonder how many Germans will even bother to watch...

Sorry, but I fail to summon the same level of enthusiasm and joyous spirit for these Games than I did for London 2012, Athens 2004 or Sydney 2000...

7 hours ago, kevzz said:

Also interested to see how they do the Brazilian national anthem. In my opinion, London really screwed up the national anthem by having kids choir. It really is the worst rendition of all ceremonies ever. The Paralympic version is so so much better and appropriate for the Olympic. 

:ph34r: