In a completely different thread [his Member Blog] CAF asked a question about the Burundi team's entrance in the Parade: I don't know the answer for sure, but I think I can make an educated guess. Rio's Parade of Nations used literally every known trick from earlier opening ceremony parades, to make the process smooth and enjoyable for all:     A development of Sochi's technique of having teams do half-laps rather than full laps: parading up the centre of the arena, then back round one side before assembling in the general crowd on that side. In Rio, however, only the initial parade up the centre (along the long axis rather than the short axis as in 2014) was really captured on TV, with no special lighting round the edges.     A development of Beijing's technique of having the marshals around the general crowd do synchronised dance routines to add to the fun (the development, first adopted, I think, in Vancouver, being the abandonment of 2008's apparent attempt to keep the marshals dancing continuously for over 2 hours).     The use of c120 bpm music throughout (2004's 140 bpm having been found to be too fast for walking)     The use of children carrying "gifts" at the head of each team (as seen in London)     The use of "sheepdog" musicians walking right behind each team to force the pace (also as seen in London, but applied in Rio to every team, not just the larger ones) In the picture here (from somewhere around "Azerbaijan"), the red square indicates a line of "sheepdogs"; the green squares indicate tricycle waiting areas.     THE BIG MISTAKE was the tricycles. There's a subtle reason why the country name-boards in the parade of nations tend to be carried by slightly-built young women: the athletes instinctively want to show that they can easily match the pace which is being set. Tricycles don't have that psychological effect, either on the athletes or the children carrying the "gifts" who will, instead, try to keep up with the flag-bearers. Result; the tricycles either drift ridiculously far ahead of the athletes, or they have to slow down to match the athletes' stroll. And if the tricycles are doing multiple circuits with different teams, that can create a further problem. I think that Burundi's name nightmare arose because the parade was so slow, and one side of the stadium had so many small teams each requiring their own tricycle, that for a minute or so, there were no spare tricycles on that side.