Hello all

I have a small question for the Olympic golf tournament. Normally in golf there are only playoff about the winner... And if 2 or more are tied, then there will be playoff for the victory. But at the Olympics there of course also are silver and bronze... Will there be playoff for that also? even if number 1 is found already? or will there be 2 silver medals for example?

There will be a three hole (followed by sudden death as needed) playoff for a tie for any medal.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Dylanlip said:

Lemme guess, not baseball fans either?

Not particularly, but...

Okay, let's put aside the fact the Olympics aren't pretty high on the top of the major showcases for golf and the top players seem to have a particular phobia for mosquitos. In an already packed schedule of sports, a three-day, full day each of those, event is struggling to get much coverage when there's so many other events for the networks to cross to and highlight. Unless you're from a country where you had someone towards the top of the leaderboard at some stage, I'd wager it didn't get much attention or exposure. Out of the two new sports, Rugby emerged as a great success, but I don't think golf would have been missed much. Maybe die-hard golf fans followed it dedicatedly on streaming and multi casts, but even then I'd imagine they'd follow a major or an Open tournament more avidly. 

Granted, NBC/Comcast does own Golf Channel in the US (Not to mention that I use 4 screens to handle different feeds & streams) so it was pretty easy to follow whilst still balancing other events. But yeah, for the layman, I can see the lack of interest in following the tournament other than maybe some brief highlights. Of course the same can be said for quite a few other more "niche" sports at the Games, since, well, that's the beauty of them. And I do agree that Rugby was an absolute success. I do think both will be kept in the long term. The response from the pros who did go to the Golf Tourney should be convincing enough for the rest of the bunch to show up for Tokyo. Not to mention that pretty much the entire womens pro field showed up from the LPGA, a great fact the IGF can bring back to the IOC when re-discussing Golf.

10 minutes ago, Dylanlip said:

Of course the same can be said for quite a few other more "niche" sports at the Games, since, well, that's the beauty of them.

Fair enough and true. I'd only add that for the likes of, say, badminton, taekwondo, fencing or whatever, the Games is as good as it ever gets for them profile wise. Golf? Far from.

Well like Basketball and Football, that really only applies for the mens side (This aint no Open). For the women? This absolutely beats out any "womens majors" profile-wise. This aint Tennis where everyone plays the same grand slams with the same prestige.

11 minutes ago, Dylanlip said:

Well like Basketball and Football, that really only applies for the mens side (This aint no Open). For the women? This absolutely beats out any "womens majors" profile-wise. This aint Tennis where everyone plays the same grand slams with the same prestige.

Hmmmmm. That's a whole different - and it would be a very interesting - debate. I think women's sports has made great strides in consciousness in recent years. The Women's Football Word Cup I think has gained some real cachet in the past edition or two. Women's basketball (at least in Oz) is getting some increased coverag and respect. Ditto women's golf. They'll always struggle to match the viewership of the major men's leaguers and events, whether you attribute it to inherent sexism or the fact that physically the men's side of these sports will always be the fastest, highest and strongest. I'd concede the profile and prestige gap between the women's events in these sports inside and outside the games is not as great as it is between the men's, but I think it's open to debate over whether the Olympics is the bigger deal for them still. 

Random thoughts:

- I liked the golf tournament.

- I would change the format for Tokyo. Stroke play is mundane and played every weekend. I would like to see a pairs format. But a match-play would still be preferable to stroke

- the course was nice

- really happy that Park Imbee won

- Canada had 5 channels of television coverage, CBC, SN, TSN, SN1 and TSN2. So one of those always had the golf tournament on.