People in the hotels are used to speak english. They can give you all info you need.

Welcome and enjoy your stay!

....it's sure to be a fun experience for a visitor, these might be the best Olympics ever!

1 hour ago, Bezzi said:

People in the hotels are used to speak english. They can give you all info you need.

Welcome and enjoy your stay!

I rented an apartment in Ipanema - the owner speaks English - but that is of course not comparable with a hotel, so I have to get along alone with a portuguese phrase book/language guide...

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

The app will work for cubebox but maybe not for CAF. The german accent makes almost impossible for us to understand. It's so funny to hear my girlfriend trying to speak portuguese :lol:

1 hour ago, Bezzi said:

The app will work for cubebox but maybe not for CAF. The german accent makes almost impossible for us to understand. It's so funny to hear my girlfriend trying to speak portuguese :lol:

... thanks for the encouragement ;):) 

Really looking forward to hearing your experiences and how it differs to London's games which I know you loved. I guess it will be a very different games. I love it when it is a very different host from the previous. Beijing to London was so different, London to Rio will be the same. Im wishing Rio a great games and the people of Brazil a wonderful time. There is nothing like a home games. I hope you get to soak up as much of the atmosphere as you can, we wait with baited breath to hear of your adventures.

• Like 2

I guess by the time you're reading this its... "Welcome to Rio, CAF!"

Once you get over your jet lag, would love to read about your first impressions.

Jealous I'm not there with you.

40 minutes ago, Daze said:

So nice, is that Photo of the Lagoa from this Shopping Mall in Leblon?

Yes, it is...

Just took a short morning walk at the beach - it seems that it won't become a sunny day today

F15E265A-77BB-4E26-B06A-7473FD1D731A_zps

A0F962CC-D374-4A5B-938C-8716F29AC527_zps

Nice to have your view and hints about Rio!

I'm now waiting for my flight to Rio, expecting to arrive there at 2 pm for my first olympics  

Hope to see some of you there, guys!

• Like 1

Is it really four years since those heady days of London? It feels like the world has changed since that wonderful summer and, in many ways, not for the better. The build-up to these Games has not been great, seen as it has been so often through political uncertainty, doping disgrace and Zika anxieties. But I'm confident that, whatever the doubts have been before, the action that awaits us will overcome them.

For those of you who have travelled to Rio, as I alas am unable to, have the most wonderful time. And, to our Brazilian friends and hosts, may you seize all the joys and opportunities that the next few weeks have to offer. As Davey rightly says, there truly is nothing like a home Games. It was an incredible experience for me to be in London four years ago and, even though it was barely two hours' travel from where I live and work, it truly was the holiday of a lifetime. Our time has gone. It's yours now. Whatever happens, make the most of it.

• Like 3

After my morning walk at Ipanema Beach I went to Leblon Shopping and found finally after three attempts my "Schuco-Adaptor" in a shop there...

YEAH, I can use my Macbook again - it was a mess to do everything with my iPhone!

I took a tram ride today - there is a tram line climbing up the hill in Santa Teresa (maybe you remember the scene with the streetcar in the animation movie "Rio" - that is the tram which i took today...

It was really a nice experience - it is short, but it is for free - I had a lot of fun! On the hill are some little restaurants and souvenir shops (I have to admit that it was very touristic there, but the tram ride was amazing!!!

D540AA0C-92D1-437C-AD3A-BA2DBE7573D9_zps

490E307C-C87D-489D-B1A6-156DDA7FE41C_zps

26F926D8-A680-4712-AAA3-8C649EDB7B83_zps

• Like 3

19 hours ago, cubebox said:

Nice to have your view and hints about Rio!

I'm now waiting for my flight to Rio, expecting to arrive there at 2 pm for my first olympics  

Hope to see some of you there, guys!

In which part of the city did you find an accommodation? 

It was quite cloudy when I awoke today and I decided that I want to do one of the main sights of Rio de Janeiro before the Olympics start - so I took the metro to "Largo do Marchando" and bought a ticket for Corcovado - I decided not to take the train up the hill but a van of the Parque Tijuca society...

No queues at all and it was a thrill to sit in the van, when it climbed the hill in breathtaking curves - Cristo Rendentor is really an international sight... I wonder how they got all the material up that hill...

I was lucky that it wasn't too full - you can walk around - I can imagine that you would have problems when it is sunny - the platform will be packed with people

Amazing view onto the city and its wonderful landscape - the statue has something sublime!

91FDE274-3F64-445E-AB61-DEBE69193EC1_zps

867BF47C-3639-4082-AABC-1EFED84DEC5D_zps

P1090760_zpstm8hpnry.jpg

• Like 4

Good to see your sightseeing CAF - I suppose you're getting the "must sees" out of the way before the sports start.

Still looks like there's no sun yet - what's the forecast for the week ahead?

Anyway, I guess you better get ready for the GBids meet-up tonight. Have a drink on me!

13 hours ago, Citius Altius Fortius said:

In which part of the city did you find an accommodation? 

I'm at Copacabana zone. Close to posto 6. I reserved the place like a year ago haha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Rols said:

Good to see your sightseeing CAF - I suppose you're getting the "must sees" out of the way before the sports start.

Still looks like there's no sun yet - what's the forecast for the week ahead?

Anyway, I guess you better get ready for the GBids meet-up tonight. Have a drink on me!

On the first day it was really hot and humid - yesterday and today it was very cloudy in the morning hours, but it got more sunny later... 

Yeah - exactly, it is hard to find time to do sightseeing "between" the sport events - tomorrow I will do a little bit sightseeing in the city center - but not really much - it will become a long day...

I will - I am lucky the pub is not 10 minutes away - at the moment I don't want to get up from the sofa - my feet hurt like hell...

3 minutes ago, cubebox said:

I'm at Copacabana zone. Close to posto 6. I reserved the place like a year ago haha

I am just one block away from Ipanema Beach - I did the same, but I didn't want to take Copacabana...