Sign in to follow this  
krow

rio olympic sweepstakes thingie - krow style

3 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Personally, I'd need to see quite a few more pictures.

Just to be sure.

especially of south american adrian grenier over there.

also: i made a spreadsheet. it's the only way i could think to organize everything. everyone has commenting power to alert me to something important point-wise or to spam oasis lyrics or something, i'm not your mother, i can't tell you what to do.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b2-0c7rJGxWEXM55JUu_KNbcAvsVvmrz4UKwe7UwTl0/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, krow said:

also: i made a spreadsheet. it's the only way i could think to organize everything. everyone has commenting power to alert me to something important point-wise or to spam oasis lyrics or something, i'm not your mother, i can't tell you what to do.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1b2-0c7rJGxWEXM55JUu_KNbcAvsVvmrz4UKwe7UwTl0/edit?usp=sharing

An elegant and understated spreadsheet. Nice!

it took me all morning to figure out the simple excel formula that would do the math for me. (basically, =sum(B3*3,B4*2,C3*-3,C4*-2,E5,D3*10,D4*7,D5,E3,F3) for my column. does anyone with some excel knowledge they aren't half-remembering from a temp agency's training video in 2007 know if there's an easier way to scale that formula to the other cells below without copying the formula and changing the cells one at a time?)

also: one hilarious thing is that the way the formula is structured, it allows for negative points if your AGAINST team has more medals than your FOR, which is perfect.

Weird name? Well, maybe for a brazilian. It's italian. Like pizza B)

10 hours ago, krow said:

it took me all morning to figure out the simple excel formula that would do the math for me. (basically, =sum(B3*3,B4*2,C3*-3,C4*-2,E5,D3*10,D4*7,D5,E3,F3) for my column. does anyone with some excel knowledge they aren't half-remembering from a temp agency's training video in 2007 know if there's an easier way to scale that formula to the other cells below without copying the formula and changing the cells one at a time?)

also: one hilarious thing is that the way the formula is structured, it allows for negative points if your AGAINST team has more medals than your FOR, which is perfect.

Does a "drag to fill" facility appear when you have Edit permission for the spreadsheet?

16 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

mmm yummy yummy! Who are they and where can I find more of them???

Handball players, this pic if from London I think, since the guy on the right (Diego Simonet) is not in the team this time.

Guy on the left is him:

pizarro.jpg 

thank you for putting a naked man in my thread. obviously it needs all the help it can get.

however, i need to over-analyze the methodology of this sweepstakes, because it's been bothering me all morning, much like it must have for tony during the euro 2016 one. finally, i feel his pain.

i am capping this at 15 participants (we have 14 currently, so there is one open space) due to the sheer number of countries we need to make this work (45, obviously). 

i also realized that the methodology that has worked in the past for sweepstakes is almost impossible to replicate for this one since i made it so intentionally complex because i hate myself and like to give myself pointless things to do.

in the past, we've just gathered up everyone's name and gave them a country (or three). but in a sweepstakes with FOR (positive point) and AGAINST (negative point) countries, that simply won't work. it's possible for a participant, under that methodology, to draw a powerhouse gold/silver country (eg brazil) in the FOR column and a weak country (eg slovenia) in the AGAINST column. and for another participant, the inverse could be true.

not only does that not make it very fun to compete against other players, but it doesn't even make it fun to compete against yourself since it's a foregone conclusion that brazil will wind up with more medals than slovenia and the zika gods would have to be extra busy to give others even a fighting chance of keeping up.

so that method is obviously a non-starter.

instead, what i think is a fairer and more fun way to do things is to draw similar countries, grouped into TIERS, for your FOR and AGAINST columns. thus, brazil could be paired with kenya or south korea in a TIER -- meaning you might end up basically breaking even point-wise just like someone with slovenia and turkey. (i'm even toying with giving a random player a special USA-china draw, which has never been possible to do before). obviously it's more fun for players with big medal-winning countries over boring-ass turkey and slovenia but some things are unavoidable and, as i said earlier, it's as much about playing against yourself as other people.

other misc. methodology thoughts:

• as i mentioned in the first post i'm using gracenotes as the gold standard, and that just is what it is
  • wildcards are wildcards. i'm just drawing 15 starting with countries with 1 silver medal and going up. not weighting it in any special way, that's why it's a wildcard.
  • the PLAYER will be drawn first. then a TIER. then a pair of countries. the first country drawn will be the FOR, the second the AGAINST. a WILDCARD pick will be chosen immediately afterward and recorded. is this the most efficient way to do this? i have no idea.
  • misc point additions for ridiculous things like zika obviously favor teams with more athletes. what can you do? double points for the bottom tier and add a multiplier of 1.5 to the penultimate one? a little arbitrary but OK.
  • drawing is tomorrow.
  • some countries like russia and japan were left off because of odd number mechanics. i regret russia's absence but the only place for them is in the GB/Germany tier, and that would present an odd number. maybe i will include them and leave one country un-drawn.
  • do i look like a statistician to you? seriously, though, do i? cause that would look great on linkedin.

TIERS

USA
CHINA

(RUSSIA)?
GREAT BRITAIN
GERMANY
AUSTRALIA
FRANCE

NZ
BRAZIL
NETHERLANDS
S.KOREA
KENYA
CUBA

CANADA
POLAND
UKRAINE
HUNGARY
SPAIN
KAZAKHSTAN
ITALY
JAMAICA
IRAN

CZECH REP
CROATIA
TURKEY
COLUMBIA (THE IVY LEAGUE SCHOOL, NOT THE COUNTRY. ALUMNI ONLY)
N.KOREA
SLOVENIA
AZERBAIJAN

WILDCARDS (THERE ARE MORE WILDCARDS THAN PLAYERS. WILD)

ROMANIA
BULGARIA
MOLDOVA
ARGENTINA
BAHRAIN
MALAYSIA
LATVIA
BOTSWANA
MOROCCO
AUSTRIA
BAHAMAS, THE
PANAMA
INDONESIA
NORWAY
GREECE
BELGIUM

• Like 1

i'm closing this officially and doing the drawing now. i know you don't care but i'm excited. i don't have a lot going on right now ok?

taking pictures too. dum dum dum.

1 hour ago, krow said:

i'm closing this officially and doing the drawing now. i know you don't care but i'm excited. i don't have a lot going on right now ok?

taking pictures too. dum dum dum.

PIC TURES

PIC TURES

WE WANT PIC TURES

ok well i'm no good with ceremony like rols so i'm just going to post a few pictures of my drawing and recording process and then give you the results. i actually did the drawing very fairly, picking strips of paper from cups as random as i could. i didn't rig anything even though i got amazing countries and unless you're scotguy you probably got really shitty ones, sorry.

zjb2he.jpg

tallying votes and recording them. some of the strips had pink numbers next to them, which represented that country's gold + silver count, used to group them into tiers.

20gbp52.jpg

list of wildcard countries, probably illegible.

anyway, here's the complete list

FOR

AGAINST

WILDCARD

Yoshi

New Zealand

Kenya

Morocco

Scotguy

China

USA

Panama

JMark

Czech Rep

Serbia*

Mongolia

woohoo

Spain

Iran

Indonesia

krow

Australia

France

Botswana

Bezzi

Italy

Ukraine

Romania

gotosoy

Canada

Kazakhstan

Austria

Thorbr

Turkey

Croatia

Bahrain

Rols

Jamaica

Serbia*

Bulgaria

Rob

Colombia

N. Korea

Bahamas

LatinXTC

Great Britain

Germany

Moldova

zigzag

Brazil

S. Korea

Argentina

Phandrosis

Poland

Hungary

Norway

TNMP

Netherlands

Cuba

Latvia

*obviously i put in serbia twice, which was unintentional. i just realized that right now when i was typing that up. rols and mark, one of you can trade for ethiopia or you can both keep serbia. sorry.

this is not my ideal draw since someone is rooting FOR brazil and against NK. it just would have been more fun the other way around honestly but the draw was the draw.

we'll see how it all plays out.

here's the handwritten record:

2n0om8n.jpg

well i did just do the draw but you can have FOR russia AGAINST japan and WILCARD belgium (dear to my own heart) simply because i know how much tnmp wanted russia and it pleases me to give it to you after he made fun of my penmanship.

• Like 1

I just googled 'no Kenya' & that came up. I have no clue about obscure Italian cinema - in all honesty I was looking for the entry barred sign over a Kenyan flag :lol:

3 hours ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

it's still too early to tell but i've started updating the google doc and it's off to an interesting start. we'll see how fair this method is, especially with the arbitrariness of the wildcards.

If you delete I2 to J3, then paste into I2 the following, you should get an automatically updated leaderboard (not elegant code, but if it actually works, nobody will notice):

=sort({a2, g3; a7, g8; a12, g13; a17, g18; a22, g23; a27, g28; a32, g33; a37, g38; a42, g43; a47, g48; a52, g53; a57, g58; a62, g63; a67, g68; a72, g73}, 2, false)

• Like 1