rio olympic sweepstakes thingie - krow style

updated leaderboard. since athletics hasn't even begun, this tally won't get very accurate until 3-4 days before the games end.

but that doesn't mean it isn't exciting!

considering the point values aren't very scientific or even fair (no bronze medal counts for main countries cause i said so), it's producing some interesting results, especially for sagacious, whose against country, japan, have been trending toward bronze medals (they have 10) and those don't count against his totals. in a fairer comp, bronzes would be +/-1 and wildcards would probably be regular points x3, instead of x3 +1.

so either because countries haven't won any medals or because my system is actually awesome and statistically brilliant, half the field is at +/- 3. the deductions are hurting and the wildcards are helping just as god (me) intended.

also, no zika yet? i did see a capsized ukrainian rower this morning and i have to believe a hospitalization is hours away. and of course we haven't seen open-water swimming, and sailing probably should have been cancelled or moved ages ago. and a bus got shot at but no one died (it's only a matter of time). but i digress.

Sagacious    20
Bezzi (weird name)    15
woohoo    14
Mark    7
yoshi    4
tnmp    3
LatinXTC    2
zigzag    2
krow    0
Rols    0
gotosy    0
Rob    -1
thorbr    -1
Scotguy    -13
phandrosis    -14

• Like 1

CAF isn't a participant in this comp or i would have included. points for robberies are for athletes only or sweeps players as we are, all of us, the true olympians. so far i can only find evidence of a chinese athlete and a spanish sailor being robbed (oof the luck on him), but back in may, along with some paralympians and coaches.

even the chinese athlete and the australian laptop incident (which is what birthed the points rule in the first place) fell technically outside the scope of the games proper. lots of technicalities but we're still waiting on a true athlete robbery.

• Like 1

update? update.

sorry, it's not really even close at the moment. kind of weak performance from brazil and ukraine at the moment.

Bezzi (weird name)    39
Sagacious    23
woohoo    20
LatinXTC    15
yoshi    13
tnmp    8
Mark    7
Rols    0
gotosy    0
krow    -2
Rob    -2
thorbr    -4
zigzag    -9
phandrosis    -18
Scotguy    -27

44 minutes ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

update? update.

sorry, it's not really even close at the moment. kind of weak performance from brazil and ukraine at the moment.

Bezzi (weird name)    39
Sagacious    23
woohoo    20
LatinXTC    15
yoshi    13
tnmp    8
Mark    7
Rols    0
gotosy    0
krow    -2
Rob    -2
thorbr    -4
zigzag    -9
phandrosis    -18
Scotguy    -27

I'm just relieved to be still above zero !

The first case is still being investigated but I believe it's true because a brazilian swimmer was with them and confirmed the story.

On the second case, the athlete told this story to avoid problems as he was drunken and tried to invade a hotel chasind a prostitute. The police already know who attacked him. was a hotel security where the prostitute was staying.

http://jornaltribunadonorte.net/noticias/medalhista-do-judo-arruma-confusao-e-apanha-de-seguranca/

yes, my mistake. i was counting incidents but the language used in the first page makes it clear he would get the points per athlete robbed.

we are still reviewing the second incident. right now we are waiting on independent (non brazilian) media confirmation.

• Like 1

Yoshi almost won some extra points. The media here reported that the girls of the New Zealand Rugby were found in a 24-hour market late at night trying to buy drinks and someone helped them to buy a few bottles of vodka. Then they took soome "silver medals!" from bag and began to take pictures with the person who helped them. The photos can be found on the internet.

Druken girls alone wearing medals late at night in Barra region! Can you believe? I thought they had recommendations about leave the village without security.

What about the incident where the Dutch male gymnast was expelled from competition because he missed curfew because he was drinking? Can't remember his name but he's nicknamed the lord of the rings. Funny thing is I remember reading about him that he served a ban because he went into a competition all coked up lol

last update before the final.... still a little competitive for the win.

Sagacious    58*
Bezzi (weird name)    50
LatinXTC    44
woohoo    32
tnmp    22
zigzag    19
Rols    8
Rob    8
Mark    8
thorbr    8
yoshi    4
gotosy    -1
krow    -9
phandrosis    -11
Scotguy    -47*

*with athlete robbery points added

6 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

wait, why aren't bronze medals being counted? I thought we were working on a 3-2-1 point system, 3pts for gold, 2 for silver and 1 for bronze?

bronze medals aren't counted because bronze isn't really a medal lol come on.

i counted them (1 pt) for wildcards for pity reasons.

5 hours ago, zekekelso said:

So, how many points do you get if someone from your country tells a fib to their mom, who blabs to the press which eventually leads to an international incident?

Hey, we've got one of them too! #TryHardAussies

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympics/rio-2016/olympics-swimming/inside-story-of-drunken-swimmer-josh-palmers-wild-night-in-copacabana-at-rio-olympics-20160818-gqw4at.html

final tally, congrats to our medalists. i worked long and hard for your victory.

ic_medal-small-gold_2x.pngSagacious    88*
ic_medal-small-silver_2x.pngLatinXTC    62*
ic_medal-small-bronze_2x.pngBezzi (weird name)    52
woohoo    42
zigzag    37
Rols    19
tnmp    19
Rob    12
Mark    8
thorbr    5
yoshi    1
gotosy    0
phandrosis    -14
krow    -15*
Scotguy    -93*

* meant +5 robbery points, as each of those players had a confirmed athlete robbery. i kept the beligum robbery because something sketch happened there regardless; obviously took away lochte and co. but english gardner was also robbed of her phone. GB and australia had robbed athletes, too.

so after all that, i came in 2nd last place, meaning this little experiment probably didn't work out so good. i knew the russia/japan pairing was not good and resisted it until puppy pissed me off to the point where i gave it out anyway. belgium and argentina should not have been wildcards either but this is what happens when you have me making the lists and not intoronto.

i also forgot after a few days to root against france -- but i did manage to remember to go for botswana and australia. some of these scores were MASSIVELY saved by wildcards. LatinXTC would have won if belgium didn't save sagacious with its huge point values (two golds, two silvers, two bronzes). they also helped bezzi and zigzag quite a bit.

if i ever wanted to torture myself and do this again, i probably would only do FOR and WILDCARD countries. the subtraction added in too many variables and i don't think anyone cared.

and yes, next time i'd probably count bronze medals, too.