2020 Tokyo Olympic Cauldron

20 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Those days are long gone.  IOC is very conscious of being blamed for too large a "carbon footprint," and of course, because most of the cladding of the Tokyo Stadium is wood, they have taken care not to have Oly Stadium burn down. :wacko:  As a matter of fact, while watching some of the T&F footage tonight, I completely forgot to look for where they moved the cauldron to.  

So, what do you expect in 2028? Other alternative fuels to keep burning the Memorial cauldron or definitely excluded? 

4 hours ago, olympiaki-agones said:

So, what do you expect in 2028? Other alternative fuels to keep burning the Memorial cauldron or definitely excluded? 

No, the cauldron at LA Memorial is such a small one, compared to say the humonguous Beijing 2008 one,  that there is no need to change it.  It's still "visible" from downtown LA.  They just need to burn cleaner fuels from hereon -- but which, of course, are a little more expensive than less refined fuel. 

On 8/1/2021 at 1:40 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

No, the cauldron at LA Memorial is such a small one, compared to say the humonguous Beijing 2008 one,  that there is no need to change it.  It's still "visible" from downtown LA.  They just need to burn cleaner fuels from hereon -- but which, of course, are a little more expensive than less refined fuel. 

Pretty things must be a bit costly. 

On 8/1/2021 at 1:41 AM, antiperspirant said:

They can burn the entire coliseum as the ultimate meta self aware cauldron. Down with the elitism of the IOC!

This will be a f**king bad idea. Did you how much does the stadium cost?

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 11:55 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

You do know there is a special relationship between Japan and Brazil.  After the Portuguese and Poles, the Japanese are the 2nd largest group of non-Western immigrants to make a new homeland in Brazil (and to a certain extent, Peru, as well.  Alberto Fujimori?).  And those ancient Incas did worship the sun as well.  ;)

It was totally explained at the inmigration segment during the OC.

11 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

By the way...

none mentioned who ignited the external cauldron...

Well, she was the golden medalist in badminton Yaka Takahashi.

1ed087b7-8df2-4c5b-a9c6-1102bf6b2a8f-AP2

39086594-1aeb-4f04-94f7-6401013a431c-AP2

6208.jpg?width=300&quality=45&auto=forma

From the previous Games, of course?  She could not have been a gold medalist already at the start of THESE Games when she lit the 2nd cauldron.  Even for Rio, the guy who lit it outside was just a footnote to history.  

On 8/6/2021 at 12:33 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

From the previous Games, of course?  She could not have been a gold medalist already at the start of THESE Games when she lit the 2nd cauldron.  Even for Rio, the guy who lit it outside was just a footnote to history.  

Hey, man!!! Is it necesary to clarify she is a medalist in PREVIOUS games???? DEAR!!!!

By the way, she was not an OLYMPIC medalist. She is world champion.

4 hours ago, Nacholympic said:

Hey, man!!! Is it necesary to clarify she is a medalist in PREVIOUS games???? DEAR!!!!

By the way, she was not an OLYMPIC medalist. She is world champion.

Well yeah, man!  :rolleyes: - because your info is misleading.  Not everyone knows who she is or what she has accomplished.  And I don't.  But if you don't want your posts to be taken seriously, then go ahead and just post info that you assume everyone knows. 

5 minutes ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Well yeah, man!  :rolleyes: - because your info is misleading.  Not everyone knows who she is or what she has accomplished.  And I don't.  But if you don't want your posts to be taken seriously, then go ahead and just post info that you assume everyone knows. 

When the games are starting and an athlete is mentioned in the OC to be a golden medalist.. There's no need to clarify his / her medal was won in previous games.... 

By the way, your are the most incredibly  unpleasant poster I have ever met in any forum...

So. this will be the first and last time I reply any comment of any kinD coming from you. You don't exist to me...

TIME OUT!

Just now, Nacholympic said:

When the games are starting and an athlete is mentioned in the OC to be a golden medalist.. There's no need to clarify his / her medal was won in previous games.... 

Why not?  They do it every time for Thomas Bach.  Maybe you should write to the IOC and tell them to change their script?  Does EVERY viewer who pays attention to the details of the OC AUTOMATICALLY KNOW who are medalists and not?  DO you think the 7 young athletes who lit the Lond cauldron were medalists or not?  I would NEVER HIRE you for any sort of Ceremony.  

Just now, Nacholympic said:

By the way, your are the most incredibly  unpleasant poster I have ever met in any forum...

So. this will be the first and last time I reply any comment of any kinD coming from you. You don't exist to me...

TIME OUT!

Great.  I get tired of you, too.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 5:47 AM, Nacholympic said:

By the way...

none mentioned who ignited the external cauldron...

Well, she was the golden medalist in badminton Yaka Takahashi.

So sad none mentioned about it... No videos on youtube for this moment...

1ed087b7-8df2-4c5b-a9c6-1102bf6b2a8f-AP2

39086594-1aeb-4f04-94f7-6401013a431c-AP2

This is why I hate having a stadium cauldron for the ceremonies and then a city centre one - it just lessens the moment having someone else light the cauldron that will actually burn for the duration of the games out of sight and has reduced the lighting in the stadium to just a ceremonial piece of business rather than the significant moment of recent years.

And nothing summed up how much cauldrons have been downgraded than Naomi Osaka only having to climb the equivalent of one flight of stairs to light it compared to people climbing 100+ steps previously, usually only to pass it to someone waiting at the top anyway.