2020 Tokyo Olympic Cauldron

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So apparently the stadium Mt Fugi isn’t the cauldron. There will only be one and it will be the public cauldron by the bay. Wonder if the flame will reside in the stadium for the ceremonies and then be taken out to the cauldron as the last act. 

On 7/20/2021 at 2:35 PM, Blazerblaz3 said:

So apparently the stadium Mt Fugi isn’t the cauldron. There will only be one and it will be the public cauldron by the bay. Wonder if the flame will reside in the stadium for the ceremonies and then be taken out to the cauldron as the last act. 

I didn't think that fake Mt. Fuji thing was the cauldron.  They probably won't keep the flame in the Stadium.  Remember, it's made of wood in many parts.  My guess is that the drone "herd" will probably "carry the flame" from a runner (if that runner even arrives at the stadium) to the harbor site of the cauldron.  

• Like 1

Always so fun to be back on the forums whenever an edition of the Games come around. ^_^
I'm not sure if this is the studio that designed the cauldron, but this is a pretty cool 3D model of it.

• Thanks 1

For all the faults this ceremony had, the cauldron was not of them, it was beautifully designed. Its a shame I was too distracted and angry with this hole mess I couldn't even appreciate it well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ikarus360 said:

For all the faults this ceremony had, the cauldron was not of them, it was beautifully designed. Its a shame I was too distracted and angry with this hole mess I couldn't even appreciate it well.

Well, maybe the closing ceremony will be better.

"Worlds We Share" which is expected to cover themes of diversity & inclusion and a brighter future. Based on this (maybe), I do hope it would feature more Japanese history and pop culture. They may had make the opening ceremony intentionally boring(I'm too sure) but I do seriously hope the closing ceremony will be much superior.  

• Like 1

It won't. Literally everyone actually talented choosed to not get shitstained and distanced themselves from the Olympics. And to be fair doing mass theatricals require getting a lot of people together which is also a risk because of unvaccinated people. I would just avoid more embarassment and limit the closing ceremony to the protocol segments.

5 hours ago, jk92boy said:

Always so fun to be back on the forums whenever an edition of the Games come around. ^_^
I'm not sure if this is the studio that designed the cauldron, but this is a pretty cool 3D model of it.

It is.

The cauldron kind of looks like an inverted disco ball, which makes me love it more. I sorta wish that the petals were rotating or moving in some way. 

I thought the music playing when the sun opened its petals and became a flower of hope and vitality was beautiful.
Also they had 85 drafts such as a flame in a heat-resistant glass sphere or a spinning flame similar to Singapore 2010 to create a spherical appearance.
The concept of the cauldron itself, according to the creative director, is "All gather under the Sun, all are equal, and all receive energy"

Been there to watch the cauldron in Daiba yume no oh hashi.

DSC01607_R.JPGDSC01608_R.JPG

If you are interested in it more,you can watch it in my youtube page(link address in my signature. shown when you are logged in.):)

• Like 1

On 7/24/2021 at 1:21 PM, Shiruba98 said:

The concept of the cauldron itself, according to the creative director, is "All gather under the Sun, all are equal, and all receive energy"

That sounds uncannily like the concept behind the Rio 2016 cauldron

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

That sounds uncannily like the concept behind the Rio 2016 cauldron

You do know there is a special relationship between Japan and Brazil.  After the Portuguese and Poles, the Japanese are the 2nd largest group of non-Western immigrants to make a new homeland in Brazil (and to a certain extent, Peru, as well.  Alberto Fujimori?).  And those ancient Incas did worship the sun as well.  ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

2 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

You do know there is a special relationship between Japan and Brazil.  After the Portuguese and Poles, the Japanese are the 2nd largest group of non-Western immigrants to make a new homeland in Brazil (and to a certain extent, Peru, as well.  Alberto Fujimori?).  And those ancient Incas did worship the sun as well.  ;)

Rio made that special relationship abundantly clear in 2016!

I just get the feeling that the "sun" explanation for the Tokyo cauldron doesn't fit with its flower-like appearance, which in turn makes me suspect that the globe-to-flower transformation was basically an excuse to join the new fashion for mechanised Cauldrons.

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

Is there no cauldron in Olympic Stadium? I didn't see one on last night's coverage of T&F.

Welcome to the post-2012 era.

The cauldron has to be small / low-carbon and it has to be visible outside the stadium. Some day an OCOG will create a small stadium cauldron which becomes visible outside, but for now the plan is to use one cauldron in the stadium for opening & closing, another outside for longer-term use.

10 minutes ago, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Welcome to the post-2012 era.

The cauldron has to be small / low-carbon and it has to be visible outside the stadium. Some day an OCOG will create a small stadium cauldron which becomes visible outside, but for now the plan is to use one cauldron in the stadium for opening & closing, another outside for longer-term use.

hmmm I was under the impression that other host cities had two. for summer hosts, there was one inside the olympic stadium for t&f and one outside for the general population.

5 hours ago, olympiaki-agones said:

What a disgrace of cauldron! I still prefer big cauldrons with their special nest within the stadium, such as Seoul, Barcelona, Mexico, Berlin and, of course, Los Angeles. At least, I know I will enjoy watching the Memorial Coliseum cauldron lit again in 2028!

Those days are long gone.  IOC is very conscious of being blamed for too large a "carbon footprint," and of course, because most of the cladding of the Tokyo Stadium is wood, they have taken care not to have Oly Stadium burn down. :wacko:  As a matter of fact, while watching some of the T&F footage tonight, I completely forgot to look for where they moved the cauldron to.