47 minutes ago, Triffle said:

Is it really that big of a deal hosting an Olympics in Melbourne during August? Yes it gets a bit nippy, but its not like a true Northern Hemisphere winter. The only sports it would be particularly problematic for are triathlon and open water swimming (hardly marquee events) and I suppose beach volleyball (which they could compromise and host indoors). It wouldn't have a major impact on local attendance, except for street events if it rained (the average rainfall in Melbourne in August is comparable to London and Rio but significantly less than Beijing).

Sure, it doesn't quite fit with the "Summer" moniker, but who cares about that technicality? I doubt that would be a determining factor. I think Melbourne's coolness is far less of a serious risk for the IOC to contemplate than the potential unreliability of Athens and Rio.

Melbourne is freezing in August. I know I probably sound biased because i'm from Brisbane and want a Brisbane games but i've been there in August and had to wear lots of layers. Definitely wouldn't feel like a "summer" Olympics. Like today, it's currently 11 degrees and raining. And the forecast for the rest of the week is this same thing. all cloudy/rainy days which you definitely don't want for an Olympics. Additionally around 12-15 degrees. Need sunshine for all the outside events. Definitely not ideal. 

• Like 1

Well, looks like Melbourne (or at least Rob Doyle)  doesn't wanna cede the ground entirely to Brizzie.

Melbourne Mayor to consult key officials on potential bid for the 2028 or 2032 Olympic Games

Melbourne’s Lord Mayor Robert Doyle has sparked fresh calls for the city to bid for the Olympic Games in either 2028 or 2032 after he revealed he would consult with key officials in the area about whether they should pursue an attempt to bring the event back to Victoria for the first time since 1956.

Doyle is expected to speak with Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) President John Coates, who is a vice-president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), during a ceremony to welcome the athletes who competed for the nation at Rio 2016 next week.

Former IOC vice-president Kevan Gosper, who is based in the Australian city, and Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games chairman Ron Walker are also likely to discuss the matter with Doyle, according to the Herald Sun.

The Melbourne Mayor believes they could host a “very friendly” and “inclusive” Games, which would be more sustainable than other previous hosts due to the sporting facilities already in place in Victoria.

“I don’t think it’s sustainable that nations, particularly those that are not very affluent nations, spend billions upon billions on stadiums and facilities that are then unused after the Olympics,” he told the Herald Sun.

“We could show a very friendly Games, a very inclusive Games.

“We could show how you could purpose-build stadiums so that they are an integral part of the city’s infrastructure.”

Federal Environment Minister Greg Hunt has also thrown his support behind a potential bid, claiming there is “no better place in the world” to host the Games than Melbourne.

State Sport Minister John Eren played down the suggestions, however, insisting the region had other priorities such “delivering schools and hospitals”.

“It was only 16 years ago that Australia hosted the Olympics, but of course our time will come again, and naturally all roads would lead to Melbourne,” he said.

According to reports, the former Maribyrnong defence facility site has already been earmarked as a potential Athletes’ Village for a future Olympics.

The future of the area, located close to the Central Business District and with good links to other parts of the city, has not yet been fully decided.

It is understood renovation work to make the derelict site fully operational could take several years.

Other Australian cities are in the process of pursuing bids for future editions of the Games, including Adelaide, with support from an effort from Brisbane-Gold Coast also gathering pace.

Insidethegames

On 8/27/2016 at 1:40 PM, FYI said:

Adelaide lmfao

Nah, they couldn't even land the 1998 Commonwealth Games (those bid books are still on ebay!)

Perth might be a remote choice, but their new 60,000 seater AFL stadium can work for athletics, provided that a section of seating is removed to fit the track. Therefore not making it the minimum capacity for athletics and ceremonies.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/olympics/queensland-olympic-bid-falters-as-logan-council-says-no-20160920-grk8m8.html

Logan (huge area in the South of Brisbane) has said no thanks to the feasibility study as well.

It's looking like the idea is dying a quick death.  At least until Quirk decides the BCC will fund the whole thing.

• 9 months later...

Well, Brisbane's Olympic bid is still on running by 2032, according to Coates

Brisbane will benefit from the decision taken here yesterday to change the bid process for the 2024 and 2028 Olympic and Paralympic Games, it has been claimed.

The Australian city was among those who had been exploring the possibility of launching a bid for the event in 2028, something no longer possible after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) voted at its Extraordinary Session to award both that and the 2024 edition together.

It is expected that Paris will host the 2024 Olympics and Los Angeles 2028.

The decision is due to be confirmed at the IOC Session in Lima on September 13. 

John Coates, President of the Australian Olympic Committee and the IOC vice-president who worked most closely on the plan to implement the joint award, claimed the decision could help Brisbane.

"Realistically, Brisbane at this point is significantly inferior to Paris: Paris has got 92 per cent, and Los Angeles has got 100 per cent of the infrastructure, venues and village accommodation in place," Coates told The Australian.

"If we had put up Brisbane for 2028 under the old system it would have cost AUD$60 million ($36 millon/$46 million/€40 million) to bid."

Coates revealed that if changes proposed to the bidding process for the 2026 Winter Olympic and Paralympics were successful they would be extended to the campaign for the 2032 Summer Games. 

"Under this new procedure, when we get an expression of interest from a city, the IOC sends its technical experts in, with the [International Sports] Federations, and helps form­ulate a bid using what you’ve got in the best possible way rather than spending a whole lot of money to hire these experts yourself," Coates told The Australian

"We then help a city over a period­ of a year and then we look at the cities and then we think these one, two or three cities can do this. 

"We would nominate them as candidates and then we would vote one year later. 

"[That would] totally discourage these international advertising campaigns and everything else.

"We’d be involved in an ongoing dialogue with these cities to help them formulate their master planning of their project. 

"It would take a lot of costs out of it."

I just don't see Brisbane being the Australian candidate. Even Coates cites Brisbane as "inferior" to Paris & L.A. - Melbourne is more in line with both of those cities when it comes to the venues already in place. Brisbane just needs too much work & that's what's getting the IOC into so much trouble these days. All Brisbane has is the weather in the preferred IOC timeframe. But they'll have to make a concession for Melbourne in that regard if they don't want any other headaches.

^Well, after London & Paris, though, who else is there in W.E. that would be as confident & viable? All of Germany seems to be anti-Olympics, & that goes as far back as the Berlin 2000 bid. And now with the recent withdrawels of Munich 2022 & Hamburg 2024, I don't see confidence in Germany changing all that much, even by the time the 2032 race comes along.

And then we have ambivalent Rome (which much like South Africa, per se), can't ever seem to make up their mind whether or not they actually want to stay in an Olympic race. And of course that's even before looking into why Rome keeps pulling out of the contests. So in their case it's more than just about confidence, but more about stability within Rome (& Italy for that matter). 

Finally, there's Madrid, the last of the big W.E. nations that can pull it off. But much like in Rome's (& Italy's) case, stability is the issue here (& the rest of Spain) more than the confidence. If things were different, I'm sure that they'd jump at the chance to bid again. But also as been noted before already, Madrid would need to get a new stadium again & other works, since they've moved on to other plans when they didn't get the 2020 Olympics. 

So in essense, could look good for Melbourne, Australia for 2032, all things considered. The only other possible serious contender I could see is China with Shanghai or Guangzhou. 

Unless they can somehow make the kind of changes that could see places like Vienna, Amsterdam, Lisbon etc becoming viable Olympic hosts. For the moment though, if I were Melbourne I'd certainly fancy the chances at 2032 - especially now Durban doesn't look too hot & the IOC have shown that some flexibility is possible if it means they get a good city (or 2). If they can completely change the process of two bid cycles, I'm fairly sure some weather-related schedule jiggling could be done to get a games to one of the most Olympic-ready cities on the planet. 

10 hours ago, FYI said:

^Well, after London & Paris, though, who else is there in W.E. that would be as confident & viable? All of Germany seems to be anti-Olympics, & that goes as far back as the Berlin 2000 bid. And now with the recent withdrawels of Munich 2022 & Hamburg 2024, I don't see confidence in Germany changing all that much, even by the time the 2032 race comes along.

And then we have ambivalent Rome (which much like South Africa, per se), can't ever seem to make up their mind whether or not they actually want to stay in an Olympic race. And of course that's even before looking into why Rome keeps pulling out of the contests. So in their case it's more than just about confidence, but more about stability within Rome (& Italy for that matter). 

Finally, there's Madrid, the last of the big W.E. nations that can pull it off. But much like in Rome's (& Italy's) case, stability is the issue here (& the rest of Spain) more than the confidence. If things were different, I'm sure that they'd jump at the chance to bid again. But also as been noted before already, Madrid would need to get a new stadium again & other works, since they've moved on to other plans when they didn't get the 2020 Olympics. 

So in essense, could look good for Melbourne, Australia for 2032, all things considered. The only other possible serious contender I could see is China with Shanghai or Guangzhou. 

The irony is, 2032 would have been a perfect opportunity for Madrid to compete if they weren't so sturborn with the consecutive bids.

• Like 1

Why not Sydney again? Most of the needed infrastructure is still in place. Problem I see with a Brisbane bid is the same one so many cities face, the lack of a suitable Olympic Stadium. Does Brisbane really need another 60,000-70,000 seat stadium? Doubtful unless they are going to propose the ridiculous idea of a stadium that size that will be scaled down afterwards.

Many people think that L.A. hosting again is too soon, so Sydney again is definitely too soon at this point. Sydney 2000, much moreso than L.A. '84, is a Games that I still remember very vividly. So the next Olympics down under has to be a different location than Sydney. 

Melbourne, like L.A., is one of those very, very few cities in the world that have virtually everything that they need to host already in place. And unlike Brisbane (& in addition to their stadium issue), Melbourne is a much more international city. Melbourne also hosted the 2006 Commonwealth Games that saw even further updates to their venue portfolio. Anyway you look it IMO, Melbourne is the next obvious choice for an Aussie Games.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Roger87 said:

The irony is, 2032 would have been a perfect opportunity for Madrid to compete if they weren't so sturborn with the consecutive bids.

I totally agree. If they'd have saved all those resources for a single 2032 bid instead, which by that point, their economy probably would be improved, & by then the arguement of still too soon for Spain again after 1992, all would've been moot. But they were all too "desperate" to outdo their Catalonian neighbors sooner rather than later.

I also believed that they should've stuck with bidding for the Winter Olympics, instead of reverting to the Summer Olympics, if they wanted another Olympics so soon after 1992. If Spain had bid for 2022, they would've very likely won against the two despots that were left in the end. 

• Like 1