Artistic Gymnastics at the Rio Olympics.

Anybody watching the NBC Olympics website coverage of gymnastics? The other guy commentator, not Jonathan Horton, is making some pretty obvious mistakes. During the FX he mistakenly identified the other Japanese gymnast as Kohei. Luckily Horton quickly corrected him. And just not too long ago he identified Manrique Larduet as a Canadian gymnast, but the guy is Cuban lol. This time Horton did not correct him.

1 hour ago, LatinXTC said:

Anybody watching the NBC Olympics website coverage of gymnastics? The other guy commentator, not Jonathan Horton, is making some pretty obvious mistakes. During the FX he mistakenly identified the other Japanese gymnast as Kohei. Luckily Horton quickly corrected him. And just not too long ago he identified Manrique Larduet as a Canadian gymnast, but the guy is Cuban lol. This time Horton did not correct him.

Yes, he's a little bit of a mess lol

So two gymnasts are out of the all around for men's. Cyprus' Marios Georgiou injured his foot when he had a terrible landing on his foot during the vault event. He managed to do two other events (parallel bars and high bars) before he called it quits. He had a score of 9.433 on the high bar so he must have fallen or just done really badly and just dropped out of the race.

Also Manrique Larduet completely screwed up his landing on the vault as well. He looks to have sustained injury from there as well and withdrew after that. Is it this common that so many athletes have already sustained injuries from the vault apparatus? We have of course the gruesome injury from the French guy during qualifications. And now we've had 2 men injure themselves on the vault. So far none of the women to my knowledge have injured themselves on the vault.

Also I heard the commentators mention that the FX is bouncier than it normally should be. That could be the reason why we've had some athletes experience issues as well, some scary moments like with Ellie Dowlee and the german gymnast who injured himself during qualifications.

Wow. Vault's been an issue for Men whilst Floor has been an issue for Women. I really think they should check the Apparatus and see if there is an issue. Women's All-Around today!!! I can't wait! Well, It's pretty predictable considering Biles is a lock for Gold, Silver & Bronze may be up in the air though! Silver might be Raisman's but the battle for Bronze will be exciting! I really, really hope Seda Tutkhalyan or Rebeca Andrade make the Podium. Tutkhalyan in particular.

Biles nails Beam, Still don't like her Barani. Musty was ok, Not her best, I think she's going for Silver. Ellie Black of Canada has been awesome so far. Yet to see Tut and Aly on Beam. Still annoyed that Ellie Downie's DTY scored lower that Mustafina's, Seda was overscored on Bars.

Aly hits Beam, now in 3rd (a tenth ahead is Musty). Biles has Gold sealed. Down to Mustafina vs. Raisman on FX. Still in tears after Seda fell. She may not have won a Medal judging by the whole Biles vs. Musty vs. Aly thing but she hit Beam every Competition in Rio until now, and everyone thought she was the inconsistent one (Who ultimately turned out to be Melnikova) Andrade now 7th after a disastrous Beam. All my faves making mistakes except Musty :( Steingruber tryna chase down Raisman for Bronze but she finishes on Bars which is her weak event.

YAY MUSTY HITS!!! BRONZE CONFIRMED UNLESS ALY MESSES UP (HIGHLY UNLIKELY)!! Loved, Loved, LOVED Musty's turns. Ellie Black was AMAZING she hit everything! Hoping she snatched a Top 5 Spot along w/SCS or Steingruber. Wish Seda never messed that Dismount. Downie could've challenged for Bronze if she didn't mess Bars up.

I feel like Shang was robbed. 14.833 for a hit Beam? Please... I LOVe Musty, I really do, But I feel like Bronze should have went to Shang Chunsong. If Seda didn't bomb Floor and scored somewhere around 14... She woulda tied with Musty. I hope Raisman and Mustafina retire now and Biles takes a break because I'm dying to see FRESH, NEW, Talent at 2017 Worlds. Biles' crying after winning AA touched my heart. Aly and her Coach crying had me in tears too.

6 hours ago, MissEurasia said:

I feel like Shang was robbed. 14.833 for a hit Beam? Please... I LOVe Musty, I really do, But I feel like Bronze should have went to Shang Chunsong. If Seda didn't bomb Floor and scored somewhere around 14... She woulda tied with Musty. I hope Raisman and Mustafina retire now and Biles takes a break because I'm dying to see FRESH, NEW, Talent at 2017 Worlds. Biles' crying after winning AA touched my heart. Aly and her Coach crying had me in tears too.

You should be bitching about that low score for Aly Raisman on the beam. A 14.866 and damn near perfect except for the hop on the landing??? She had that huge balance check in qualification and got a 14.833. She got a 15 in the team final. And a 14.866 here? Yea that's wrong! Thankfully she's extremely strong in the FX so it didn't matter too much, but she should have been in 2nd AFTER beam.

2 minutes ago, nykfan845 said:

Simone Biles has to be the best ever at floor exercise, right? I can't think of a better routine. 

Straight up domination.

Oh definitely. Or at the very least under this new judging system.

Back in the 90s during the 10.0 judging system my favorite one to watch on floor was Dominique Dawes. She was simply incredible, but unfortunately she never could give her best performances in world competition events. Here's one back in 1992. It showcases something she used to do all the time on her floor routine, she does a tumbling pass from one corner to the next then immediately connects another one to return back from where she first started.

^^ Very same Routine that got me into Gymnastics. I didn't watch anything but Dominique lol. It's a shame she wasn't consistent because she could have been All-Around Champion at the 1993 & 1994 World Championships and the 1996 Olympics. I still think she was robbed of a Bronze on the Uneven Bars in 1996. I think she was the only one who did Back-To-Back Tumbling in the 90's, In the 80's I remember seeing Oksana Omelianchik, Daniela Silivas & Elena Shushunova do it.

Also, We would have seen that FX Routine in the Barcelona '92 FX Finals had she been scored correctly! I would have pulled Zmeskal for Dawes after her previous FX Routines through those Games. Had she hit in EF's, Bronze would have been hers, No doubt.

I just realised Ellie Black of Canada finished in 5th, She hit all her Routines also. I can't get over how Musty has a higher E Score than Shang on Beam. I don't we'd have Musty VS. Shang if the stupid 2-Per Country Rule forced Gabby out of the AA. We could have seen a clean sweep from the US. Even Hernandez could've been on the Podium.

Women's Vault Finals Line-Up -

1. Hong Un Jong (PRK)

2. Shallon Olsen (CAN)

3. Oksana Chusovitina (UZB)

4. Wang Yan (CHN)

5. Giulia Steingruber (SWI)

6. Dipa Karmakar (IND)

7. Maria Paseka (RUS)

8. Simone Biles (USA)

Karmakar & Chusovitina will probably opt for the Produnova. Considering Biles threw the Gauntlet down in Qualifications, I'm guessing Hong is going to try and kill herself by attempting the TTY (Triple-Twisting Yurchenko). Perfect position for Steingruber because she can see what Vaults Hong/Chuso do and then think of what Vaults she should throw. I think Vault Finals will be one of the most exciting Finals of the Night. I'd expect Bronze to be Paseka vs. Chuso vs. Karmakar vs. Steingruber whilst Hong & Biles go at it for Silver & Gold.

Also, Here's how the Qualifications went for Vault -

1. Simone Biles (USA)

2. Hong Un Jong (PRK)

3. Giulia Steingruber (SWI)

4. Maria Paseka (RUS)

5. Oksana Chusovitina (UZB)

6. Shallon Olsen (CAN)

7. Wang Yan (CHN)

8. Dipa Karmakar (IND)

Alternates for the Vault Finals are -

1. Britney Rogers (CAN)

2. Seda Tutkhalyan (RUS)

3. Ellie Downie (GBR)

lol why do people keep praising Dipa as a serious medal contender? Sure she's a powerful vaulter and the first female gymnast from India to make it to an Olympic final but she is not very consistent or very clean. If she had any chance of medaling then Biles, Park, and at least Paseka would have to make some major mistakes.

She is a serious Medal Contender because she's performing one of the hardest Vaults in the World which has a 7.0 D Score. The only thing knocking her down is her E Score, She lands the Vault on her feet but it looks like she sits it down, If she can land upright then it's Medal confirmed. Paseka should not have won the World Title last year considering Hong performed the same Vault she did but with much better form. Chuso will be throwing the Produnova also, But I don't think anyone will top the Queen herself when she did it at the 1999 University Games - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UZBM1wgfRA

(BTW - Who's Park?)

• Like 1