Artistic Gymnastics at the Rio Olympics.

I'm beginning to think that their problem isn't physical, it's psychological. They need to see a sports psychiatrist that can understand what the hell it is that's causing them to choke when it comes to the final. It's not just exclusive to the Olympics it happens at the world championships as well.

3 hours ago, LatinXTC said:

I'm beginning to think that their problem isn't physical, it's psychological. They need to see a sports psychiatrist that can understand what the hell it is that's causing them to choke when it comes to the final. It's not just exclusive to the Olympics it happens at the world championships as well.

I agree that the problem is largely mental, but I don't think a psychologist is the sole answer. If the team's heads are not in a good place, that goes back to leadership and the team culture. A psychologist may help, but I suspect they really need to get rid of Kevin Mazeika. 

Team Finals today!! (Same time as Men's). You can download the Start List here - https://www.rio2016.com/en/artistic-gymnastics-ga-womens-team-download

^^^ A few things I noticed after going through the List ^^^ -

- Biles on Bars

- Fragapane on Beam

- No Spiridonova on Beam

- No Gabby on Vault

- Melnikova doing AA

- No Hypolito on FX

I think taking Hypolito off FX was a good decision, Especially after that disastrous Routine in Qualifications. I would have put Tinkler on Beam instead of Frags. Kind of surprised Spiri isn't doing Beam, She hit a rock solid Routine after Mustafina fell. Melnikova & Mustafina are doing AA in the Team Finals whilst Tutkhalyan is sitting out on Bars. I think if Angelina hits 100% and has the meet of her Life, She'll take Seda's place. Gabby won't be doing Vault, Laurie will be doing Vault instead.

Also, Apparently Flavia Saraiva is withdrawing from the All-Around to focus soley on the Team Finals & Beam Event Finals (She qualified in 3rd, Behind Biles & Hernandez). I guess they'll put in Jade Barbosa instead. Kinda odd since I would think that it's every Gymnasts dream to make it into the All-Around especially in front of your Home Crowd. Sure, She might not Medal and Andrade might have the bigger chance, But it woulda been awesome to see her compete in the AA in front of her Country.

Solids Vaults from USA. Scores built. Simone scores a tenth higher than Raisman with a 15.9. Spiri and Melky score 15.1 on Bars and Mustafina w/a giant 15.9. Not a good FX for Miyakawa. I think not making FX Finals got to her and she's no longer bothered.

Nailed FX Routines from Hernandez, Raisman & Biles. USA take Gold, 8.1 points away is Russia taking Silver. China with Bronze with 176.003. I think the BIGGEST achievement is Japan's AMAZING 4th place. 5th is GB. Germans in 6th, Dutch in 7th, Brazil in 8th. Amazing Team Finals!

An almost completely error free US team! Certainly no major mistakes on their part.

Something that struck me weird as John and Courtney were talking during the live broadcast of the event on NBC's site is the mention that in 2020 teams will only be consisted of 4 members. That is insane. 5 is already stretching it, but 4 I think would work against most countries I believe. If the US women's gymnastics program continues with their success like this I don't believe it'll affect us much at all and we'll be there to easily defend the team gold for a 3rd straight win.

Ugh. I'm literally going to miss FX Finals on purpose because it looks boring as hell. I wish Hernandez, Thorsdottir, Shang & Miyakawa qualified.

Gymnasts in FX Finals - Simone Biles, Aly Raisman, Vanessa Ferrari, Giulia Steingruber, Wang Yan, Amy Tinkler, Mai Murakami, Erika Fasana.

I'd love to have seen this in FX Finals - Laurie Hernandez, Simone Biles/Aly Raisman, Giulia Steingruber, Eythora Thorsdottir, Lieke Wevers, Shang Chunsong, Claudia Fragapane/Flavia Saraiva, Sae Miyakawa.

18 minutes ago, MissEurasia said:

Ugh. I'm literally going to miss FX Finals on purpose because it looks boring as hell. I wish Hernandez, Thorsdottir, Shang & Miyakawa qualified.

Gymnasts in FX Finals - Simone Biles, Aly Raisman, Vanessa Ferrari, Giulia Steingruber, Wang Yan, Amy Tinkler, Mai Murakami, Erika Fasana.

I'd love to have seen this in FX Finals - Laurie Hernandez, Simone Biles/Aly Raisman, Giulia Steingruber, Eythora Thorsdottir, Lieke Wevers, Shang Chunsong, Claudia Fragapane/Flavia Saraiva, Sae Miyakawa.

Honestly I'm not that interested in watching the remainder of the gymnastics competition. For one, none of the US guys will get their s**t together to be able to be a serious contender for any of the medals. Also Chris Brooks is below average and I would have given it to Danell because even without being consistent he could have gotten an overall score much bigger than Chris Brooks because his skill sets on most apparatuses can be higher than Chris.

And also because the remainder of the events the winners are pretty predictable. I almost regret watching the team event because it was so obvious who was going to win lol

Apparatus Starting Lists for Tomorrow's Women's All-Around Final -

Vault -

Simone Biles, United States

Aly Raisman, United States

Rebeca Andrade, Brazil

Seda Tutkhalyan, Russia

Aliya Mustafina, Russia

Wang Yan, China

Uneven Bars -

Eythora Thorsdottir, Netherlands

Mai Murakami, Japan

Isabela Onyshko, Canada

Elisabeth Seitz, Germany

Asuka Teramoto, Japan

Ellie Black, Canada

Balance Beam -

Jessica Lopez, Venezuela

Giulia Steingruber, Switzerland

Lieke Wevers, Netherlands

Marine Brevet, France

Flavia Saraiva, Brazil

Shang Chunsong, China

Floor Exercise -

Nina Darwael, Belgium

Ellie Downie, Great Britain

Louise Vanhille, France

Carlotta Ferlito, Italy

Sophie Scheder, Germany

Vanessa Ferrari, Italy

Reserves -

1st - Claudia Fragapane (GBR), Alexa Moreno (MEX), Ana Sofia Gomez Porras (ARG), Zsofia Kovacs (HUN)

I'm guessing if the Saraiva withdrawing thing is true, then I'd expect Barbosa to step in. I LOVE the top group!! It's going to be so competitive between them! Hoping Mustafina, Andrade, Downie or Tutkhalyan make the Podium!

6 minutes ago, MissEurasia said:

Apparatus Starting Lists for Tomorrow's Women's All-Around Final -

Vault -

Simone Biles, United States

Aly Raisman, United States

Rebeca Andrade, Brazil

Seda Tutkhalyan, Russia

Aliya Mustafina, Russia

Wang Yan, China

Uneven Bars -

Eythora Thorsdottir, Netherlands

Mai Murakami, Japan

Isabela Onyshko, Canada

Elisabeth Seitz, Germany

Asuka Teramoto, Japan

Ellie Black, Canada

Balance Beam -

Jessica Lopez, Venezuela

Giulia Steingruber, Switzerland

Lieke Wevers, Netherlands

Marine Brevet, France

Flavia Saraiva, Brazil

Shang Chunsong, China

Floor Exercise -

Nina Darwael, Belgium

Ellie Downie, Great Britain

Louise Vanhille, France

Carlotta Ferlito, Italy

Sophie Scheder, Germany

Vanessa Ferrari, Italy

Reserves -

1st - Claudia Fragapane (GBR), Alexa Moreno (MEX), Ana Sofia Gomez Porras (ARG), Zsofia Kovacs (HUN)

I'm guessing if the Saraiva withdrawing thing is true, then I'd expect Barbosa to step in. I LOVE the top group!! It's going to be so competitive between them! Hoping Mustafina, Andrade, Downie or Tutkhalyan make the Podium!

God I hope Mustafina doesn't make the podium. I want all Russian athletes to just completely crash at these Olympics.

I would like something along the lines of this happening to Mustafina today.