Artistic Gymnastics at the Rio Olympics.

/\/\  Wow some of those are hideous!!  It's enough for the likes of ISIS to go into the venues and take hostages.  Truly over-the-top.  Absolutely makes Figure Skating look sane and normal.

I wonder when the Gymnastics Federation will create a Wardrobe Approval Subcommittee to rein in some of those outrageous designs.  

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Men's Qualifications today. If anyone can do quick hits then it'll mean loads. Also, Hernandez will NOT be doing AA during Quals tomorrow. I think after that messy Bars Routine from Podium Training, Martha is having the 2nd AA Spot up for grabs between Raisman/Douglas. Here's the USA Lineup for tomorrow -

Floor Exercise - Douglas, Hernandez, Biles, Raisman

Vault - Hernandez, Douglas, Raisman, Biles

Uneven Bars - Raisman, Biles, Douglas, Kocian

Balance Beam - Douglas, Raisman, Hernandez, Biles

2 hours ago, MissEurasia said:

Men's Qualifications today. If anyone can do quick hits then it'll mean loads. Also, Hernandez will NOT be doing AA during Quals tomorrow. I think after that messy Bars Routine from Podium Training, Martha is having the 2nd AA Spot up for grabs between Raisman/Douglas. Here's the USA Lineup for tomorrow -

Floor Exercise - Douglas, Hernandez, Biles, Raisman

Vault - Hernandez, Douglas, Raisman, Biles

Uneven Bars - Raisman, Biles, Douglas, Kocian

Balance Beam - Douglas, Raisman, Hernandez, Biles

Well that's a shame. I think she deserves it more than Douglas or even Raisman. Not a good idea to put all of your focus on the more experienced athletes. Look at Jordan Weaver in London. She failed to qualify for the all around, losing her spot to Gabby and Aly. Gabby was a relative newcomer to the senior level competition, and she ended up taking home the gold. Laurie Hernandez I still think is our best shot to secure silver after Biles taking home gold.

BTW, have they always split the individual event finals into 3 days, or is this the first year they're doing it??? I know worlds splits it into 2 days.

I'll put up the US Podium Training links because I think Martha chose the Lineup after evaluating the Girls from their PT Performances. Hence, Laurie isn't doing Bars because she had a messy Routine during PT.

They've split the Individual Event Finals into 3 Days and I'm pretty sure this is the first time they're doing it, Here's how it's going to go -

Day 1 of EF's - Men's Floor Exercise, Women's Vault, Men's Pommel Horse, Women's Uneven Bars

Day 2 of EF's - Men's Rings, Men's Vault, Women's Balance Beam

Day 3 of EF's - Men's Parallel Bars, Women's Floor Exercise, Men's Horizontal Bar

I'm kind of disappointed that Laurie isn't doing All-Around also, but it'll be an interesting battle between Douglas/Raisman so I can't wait!

Full credit to GymMultimedia for this, US Women's Podium Training -

Podium Training USA - Part 01 - 30 min 

https://www.facebook.com/renan.seth/videos/10154377724340489/

Podium Training USA - Part 02 - 30 min 

https://www.facebook.com/renan.seth/videos/10154377891295489/

USA WAG Podium Training 03.08.2016 Part 03 

https://www.facebook.com/renan.seth/videos/10154378103990489/

USA WAG Podium Training 03.08.2016 Part 04 

https://www.facebook.com/renan.seth/videos/10154378230010489/

I am EXTREMELY disappointed that Hernandez isn't doing AA. Her bars scores have been consistently better than Raisman's by a WIDE margin. I honestly don't know what Marta is thinking. I accept that the training went poorly, but unless this is the continuation of a massive decline in her bars routine that has been going on since the trials, I don't understand it. 

I hate to say it, but I wonder if there's any favoritism and seniority playing in here. 

I think it's very possible Marta just threw away an AA medal. I also think she's also risking screwing with Laurie's head and potentially throwing her off her remaining events as well. 

3 hours ago, Athensfan said:

I am EXTREMELY disappointed that Hernandez isn't doing AA. Her bars scores have been consistently better than Raisman's by a WIDE margin. I honestly don't know what Marta is thinking. I accept that the training went poorly, but unless this is the continuation of a massive decline in her bars routine that has been going on since the trials, I don't understand it. 

I hate to say it, but I wonder if there's any favoritism and seniority playing in here. 

I think it's very possible Marta just threw away an AA medal. I also think she's also risking screwing with Laurie's head and potentially throwing her off her remaining events as well. 

I think it all has to do for US image and what the media wants to see happen for the all-around, either aly raisman redeems herself by finally getting a chance to get her medal or gabby douglas has the opportunity to defend *snickers* her all around title.

50 minutes ago, LatinXTC said:

I think it all has to do for US image and what the media wants to see happen for the all-around, either aly raisman redeems herself by finally getting a chance to get her medal or gabby douglas has the opportunity to defend *snickers* her all around title.

I'm inclined to agree with you. And I think it's disgusting and totally unfair. Hernandez is stronger than Raisman on bars. Period. And she's clearly capable of out-performing both Raisman and Douglas in the AA. 

I watched the PT and I do not think it justified this decision. I also couldn't help noticing that Marta was very warm and smiley with Biles, Raisman and Douglas, but I didn't see a single cozy exchange between her and Hernandez. 

Looks very sketchy to me and I'm pissed. 

Jesus christ today's men's qualification events was definitely not without its drama!

First off, China qualified first, and the US wasn't too far behind. Had Sam Mikulak or Chris Brooks not fallen on the pommel horse we would have qualified first. But it's probably for the better since we qualified first in London and we didn't even medal, since we fell apart on the pommel horse yet again. If the US manages to improve on their performance for the finals, then we definitely have a chance to take home a medal! But best of all, we qualified in many individual events, with our best chance at gold and silver in the floor exercise. If Danell cleans up his high bar routine and maybe ups the difficulty, then he can definitely medal in the event.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnastics_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_–_Men's_artistic_qualification

And now for the drama.

Kohei Uchimura falls from his high bar routine, which takes him out of the running for that event final. This also causes him not to qualify first going into the all around final, but I doubt that matters too much. Although even with a near perfect high bar peformance, I think Ukranian Oleg Verniaiev might still qualify first. He received an insane score in pommel horse

German gymnast Andreas Toba injures his knee when he lands from his first pass on the floor event. He comes back to do a pommel horse routine to secure Germany a spot in the team event finals.

http://www.businessinsider.com/german-gymnast-andreas-toba-injures-knee-still-competes-2016-8

The most gruesome injury of the day goes to French gymnast Samir Ait Said. Dude totally broke his leg when he landed on his vault, and it sounded disgusting too! Here's the article with the video if you care to watch!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3727174/French-gymnast-breaks-leg-horrific-snap-echoed-arena-stretchered-standing-ovation.html

Highlights for PT for me would be Biles nailing her Amanar.

I was also pissed when I found out Hernandez wouldn't be doing AA. She has outscored both Raisman & Douglas before (Olympic Trials) and is a better bars worker than Raisman. Like Athensfan said, It seemed like Marta was keeping her distance from Laurie whilst being cozy and smiley with everyone else.

Unless whoever qualifies for the 2nd AA spot redeems themselves and manages to make it onto the AA podium, I think this move just cost the US a 2nd AA medal because Hernandez was their best shot in securing either a silver or bronze whilst Biles would take home the gold.

I just hope this doesn't get to Laurie's head and she pushes for 100% today because I would love to see her in the beam/floor finals.

Men's qualifications were a mess yesterday, loads of falters on the floor (Marian Dragulescu). I LOVED Ablyazin's vaults. If the US can fix the PH issue then I think they've got a medal in the bag.

Highlights so far -

- Hong Un Jong (DPRK) nearly sticks her Amanar, 15.600 for both vaults.

- Wang Yan (CHN) did some great tumbling on FX, not really good on the leaps though.

- Mao Yi (CHN) put hands down on her 2.5 on FX, repeated the same error, 11.700..

- Shang Chunsong (CHN) good FX, not better than Wang, super low on the double pike, leaves out the wolf turn at the end of her routine. 14.100.

If Shang never had that cold that messed up her performance, She woulda been in FX finals, I'm sure 14.100 will not make FX finals which is a shame because she had a really good chance at getting a medal there :( China lead so far with Belgium in second, China are now on the vault.

Ok. It's hard to watch foreign live streams because I have no clue what they're saying :lol: I'll just do highlights at the end of the day because NBC live streams aren't working for me and I have to resort to a forgein one which is hard to understand.

Session 1 has come to an end. Here are my Highlights (I missed out the beginning of the Session X_X) -

- Hong Un Jong nearly sticks her Amanar Vault. Scores 15.600 for both Vaults, Will be in Vault EF's unless something disastrous happens to her.

- Oksana Chusovitina of Uzbekistan scores 15.100 (I'm guessing) Expect her in VT Finals, Had a great BB Routine, Amazing by Chuso who is 41.

- Shang Chunsong's fever that she caught a few days ago really affected her performance here. 14.100 on FX and a fall on VT :( She came back strong on Bars with a 15.300 so expect in the Bars EF's and AA.

- Tutya Yilmaz of Turkey hit the heck outta her Beam Routine, 14.100. Would be AMAZING if Turkey get a Gymnast into a Finals.

Session 2 (Russia, Italy, Mixed Group 5 & Mixed Group 6 - Includes Catalina Ponor of Romania) will begin now.