Sports Illus medal predictions?

On 7/27/2016 at 10:20 AM, Citius Altius Fortius said:

I believe SI predictions are based on result lists of major international events and national events in the different sports first, but in a second step on the popularity of the athletes - therefore I believe that SI will always esteem the US-athletes higher than an athlete (since they know much more US-athletes than athlete from other countries) - except the results of the other athlete is sooooo obvious better than the results of the US-athlete...

...oh i know, the American's never get that many medals at Olympic games, it's just a myth.

118 is a pretty big stretch. The highest the USA has gotten since the fall of the Soviet Union has been 110 in Beijing. To put into perspective. 118 would be the highest total by an American team at a non-boycotted games. 2nd highest overall. 17 medals higher then the last home Games. With the continued strength of China and Britain, the Australians coming in stronger, as are the Japanese. It will be difficult to break 100, let alone push 120. 118 is probably at the upper end of possible American results. That number would require the American team to capitalize on their chances in Archery, Wrestling and Fencing, improve on their world championship results in aquatics and athletics and improve dramatically in cycling. It is not out of the question, but I think a much safer bet is around the 100 to 105 mark. 

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, FYI said:

The U.S. now has 116 medals (more than Beijing's 2008 tally of 110), & theres still one day left of the Rio 2016 Games. SI got it (doubtably) pretty much right on target.

Yea but we're nowhere near the amount of gold medals Beijing had in 2008. I wanna see us hit the 50 gold mark without the help of nation bans or boycotts lol