Sports Illus medal predictions?

Here are Sports Illustrated's Artistic Gymnastics Predictions for the Podiums in Rio -

Women -

Team - 1. United States | 2. China | 3. Russia

All-Around - 1. Simone Biles (USA) | 2. Angelina Melnikova (USA) | 3. Laurie Hernandez (USA) (I would go fricking nuts if Laurie medals! She's like one of the only reasons I'm watching!!)

Vault - 1. Simone Biles (USA) | 2. Maria Paseka (RUS) | 3. Hong Un Jong (DPRK)

Uneven Bars - 1. Fan Yilin (CHN) | 2. Madison Kocian (USA) | 3. Daria Spiridonova (RUS)

Balance Beam - 1. Simone Biles (USA) | 2. Wang Yan (CHN) (OMG WTF?!?!) | 3. Angelina Melnikova (RUS) (WTF?)

Floor Exercise - 1. Simone Biles (USA) | 2. Aly Raisman (USA) | 3. Ksenia Afanasyeva (RUS) - This was published before she withdrew.

Men -

Team - 1. Japan | 2. China | 3. Russia (No GB or USA?!)

All-Around - 1. Kohei Uchimura (JPN) | 2. Deng Shudi (CHN) | 3. Manrique Larduet (Again, No GB or USA..)

Floor Exercise - 1. Kenzo Shirai (JPN) | 2. Max Whitlock (GBR) | 3. Marian Dragulescu (ROM)

Pommel Horse - 1. Max Whitlock (GBR) | 2. Louis Smith (GBR) | 3. Harutyun Merdinyan (ARM)

Still Rings - 1. You Hao (CHN) | 2. Arthur Zanetti (BRA) | 3. Eleftherios Petrounias (GRE)

Vault - 1. Ri Se-Gwang (DPRK) | 2. Denis Ablyazin (RUS) | 3. Marian Dragulescu (ROM)

Parallel Bars - 1. You Hao (CHN) | 2. Deng Shudi (CHN) | 3. Oleg Vernyayev (UKR)

Horizontal Bar - 1. Kenzo Uchimura (JPN) | 2. Nile Wilson (GBR) | 3. Danell Leyva (USA)

I highly doubt Wang Yan or Melnikova would make the Podium for Beam, Everything else looks ok (I would think that Mustafina and Downie would be threats for the Bars Podium). SI have predicted that the US Men's Team will leave with 1 Medal and that is Leyva's Bronze on the HB.

I actually have a hard copy  of the preview issue ( which has all the predictions) but Im having a hard time finding the online version. I do a fanatsy Olympics game so I rely a lot on these predictions. Best I have found so far is Gracenotes VMT.. Which is done by country and not by Sport :(   http://sportsdemo1.gracenote.com/documentation/vmt

Hopefully somone can find SI's soon. though to be honest gracenote is suppose to have an update next week right before the game. Considering Leyva was an alternate before at the time it was published ( he was promoted due to Orozco's injury) SI is a bit out of date. Gracenote is apparently being updated next week....

AJ

I am waiting for the Sports Illustrated medal predictions as well. I have ordered the hard copy of the magazine but it will take some time to arrive in New Zealand. I cant find anything online either.

16 hours ago, Citius Altius Fortius said:

The prediction of the SI is interesting, but too much focussing on the US-athletes, which isn't astonishing, due it is an US magazine...

No. I disagree, CAF.  I think SI makes its predictions from an international POV.  It just so happens that the US athletes do end up winning most of the events -- but that's not SI's fault.  

3 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

No. I disagree, CAF.  I think SI makes its predictions from an international POV.  It just so happens that the US athletes do end up winning most of the events -- but that's not SI's fault.  

I believe SI predictions are based on result lists of major international events and national events in the different sports first, but in a second step on the popularity of the athletes - therefore I believe that SI will always esteem the US-athletes higher than an athlete (since they know much more US-athletes than athlete from other countries) - except the results of the other athlete is sooooo obvious better than the results of the US-athlete...

I may have to go back  and check how accurate SI has been in the past. Gracenote VMT has USA at  92 medals while SI has USA at 118. Of course Grace not is using an algorithm based on recent results, which is on its 1st Summer games ..... so who knows how accurate that may be.

AJ

lol I don't know what their basis for Angelina Melnikova placing 2nd ahead of Laurie Hernandez is. at the European Championships in June she only competed in one event final, which was balance beam, and had a score of 14.166. If anything, US will go 1-2 with either Simone and Laurie or Simone and Aly. Or Maybe Gabby if she would stop falling off the beam.

And the men's US not medaling in the team event is believable. The US men's side of gymnastics hasn't had the success as the women's side and they fair better in the individual events. But who knows they might surprise us just like they did in 2008.

As far as Men's Russian team predicted to take Bronze ahead of the US and team GB, I think they're going by how well they did in this year's european championships. They won gold there in the team event, scoring about 3 more points than what they did in the 2015 world championships. And they medaled in all but one of the event finals.

http://www.ueg.org/en/Russia-dominates-men’s-senior-team-finals-2016-05-28-1830

http://www.ueg.org/en/5-nations-divide-the-6-European-senior-titles-2016-05-29-1700

With that type of improvement I think they should be heavily tested to see if they're not on something.

Ok I found some one who went back and looked at the 2012 predictions. Turns out Gracenote DID do a London prediction (different name at the time). Long story short in 2012 SI was 17 more than Gracenote 99 to 82 but was closer to the actual result. Also of the 13 predictions SI was the fifth lowest with Amrican medal predictions. Id say SI is fairly reasonable and little US Bias and was pretty spot on for 2012

http://www.topendsports.com/events/summer/medal-tally/predicted-2012.htm

AJ

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, amuller33 said:

Ok I found some one who went back and looked at the 2012 predictions. Turns out Gracenote DID do a London prediction (different name at the time). Long story short in 2012 SI was 17 more than Gracenote 99 to 82 but was closer to the actual result. Also of the 13 predictions SI was the fifth lowest with Amrican medal predictions. Id say SI is fairly reasonable and little US Bias and was pretty spot on for 2012

http://www.topendsports.com/events/summer/medal-tally/predicted-2012.htm

AJ

SI has a great staff with an international eye.  I mean the BEST of the world in whatever sport OR nationality comes to the SI staff's attention, so they are able to factor that in.  

They will be out tomorrow probably. That's when the publication blackout ends. 

Gold - Canoe/Kayak Flatwater - Women's K1 200m - Lisa Carrington

Gold - Canoe/Kayak Flatwater - Women's K1 500m - Lisa Carrington

Silver - Cycling Track - Men's Keirin - Eddie Dawkins

Gold - Cycling Track - Men's Team Sprint - New Zealand

Bronze - Cycling Track - Men's Team Pursuit - New Zealand

Gold - Cycling Road - Women's Time Trial - Linda Villumsen

Silver - Golf - Women's - Lydia Ko

Gold - Rowing - Men's Single Sculls - Mahe Drysdale

Silver - Rowing - Men's Double Sculls - Chris Harris and Robbie Manson

Gold - Rowing - Men's Pair - Hamish Bond and Eric Murray

Silver - Rowing - Men's LW4- - New Zealand

Silver - Rowing - Women's Single Sculls - Emma Twigg

Bronze - Rowing - Women's Double Sculls - Eve Macfarlane and Zoe Stevenson

Bronze - Rowing - Women's Pair - Rebecca Scown and Genevieve Behrent

Silver - Rowing - Women's 8's - New Zealand

Gold - Rugby - Men's

Silver - Rugby - Women's

Gold - Sailing - 49er skiff - Peter Burling and Blair Tuke

8 Gold 7 Silver 3 Bronze

Edited by Faster
  • Like 1

Number 1 in 2015-2016 series rankings: WorldRugby.org

Australia claim their first Women’s Sevens Series title

Australia's women have claimed the HSBC World Rugby Women’s Sevens Series title 2015-16.

The girls in gold beat Spain 35-0 in their cup quarter-final at the last round of the series in Clermont-Ferrand, meaning they couldn’t be caught by their closest rivals New Zealand.

In doing so, the team captained by Sharni Williams, are the first side in Australia Rugby history to win a Sevens Series title.

It’s also the first time the trophy will not be going to New Zealand, who won the prize for the last three seasons.

Australian Women's Sevens Head Coach Tim Walsh said: "It's been the product of three years of hard work which has culminated in this World Series win. It's really valuable for us as we prepare for Rio.

"I'm really proud of the team and we're so grateful for the support we have had from friends and family all over the world.

"Were we nervous going into the game? Nothing really phases this group - they're a class bunch of players and as the sport grows and grows the pressure on them will only grow. I really think we can handle the pressure."

Co-captain Sharni Williams said: "It's pretty awesome. We set these little goals as a team and I'm so proud and excited. We always respect the jersey when we go out there and we love representing our country."

Fellow co-captain Shannon Parry added: "After a good day one we went into today with a lot of confidence. Walshy [Tim Walsh] instills into us the need to go through the processes to get the outcome we want and we just follow them.

worldrugby.org

3 hours ago, Faster said:

They will be out tomorrow probably. That's when the publication blackout ends. 

Gold - Canoe/Kayak Flatwater - Women's K1 200m - Lisa Carrington

Gold - Canoe/Kayak Flatwater - Women's K1 500m - Lisa Carrington

Silver - Cycling Track - Men's Keirin - Eddie Dawkins

Gold - Cycling Track - Men's Team Sprint - New Zealand

Bronze - Cycling Track - Men's Team Pursuit - New Zealand

Gold - Cycling Road - Women's Time Trial - Linda Villumsen

Silver - Golf - Women's - Lydia Ko

Gold - Rowing - Men's Single Sculls - Mahe Drysdale

Silver - Rowing - Men's Double Sculls - Chris Harris and Robbie Manson

Gold - Rowing - Men's Pair - Hamish Bond and Eric Murray

Silver - Rowing - Men's LW4- - New Zealand

Silver - Rowing - Women's Single Sculls - Emma Twigg

Bronze - Rowing - Women's Double Sculls - Eve Macfarlane and Zoe Stevenson

Bronze - Rowing - Women's Pair - Rebecca Scown and Genevieve Behrent

Silver - Rowing - Women's 8's - New Zealand

Gold - Rugby - Men's

Silver - Rugby - Women's

Gold - Sailing - 49er skiff - Peter Burling and Blair Tuke

8 Gold 7 Silver 3 Bronze

Thanks for posting this. If this comes to fruition it would be New Zealand's best Olympic Games ever! 18 medals beats the 13 won in 2012 and 1988 and 8 gold equals the 8 won in 1984.