Munich Shootings

What is exactly happening right now? Apparently there is a massive shooting at Munich with 3 people dead already. Can the german GB users give us a feedback with trustable sources?.

Please stay strong, guys. 

It's happening just six km from where I live (the shopping mall, which is actually next to Olympic Park and named Olympia Einkaufszentrum) - me and family are safe, but it's horrible. The way things are going in this world makes me worry a lot. I'm sick of this **** really.

1 hour ago, StefanMUC said:

It's happening just six km from where I live (the shopping mall, which is actually next to Olympic Park and named Olympia Einkaufszentrum) - me and family are safe, but it's horrible. The way things are going in this world makes me worry a lot. I'm sick of this **** really.

Stay safe, man D:

Apparently, this time it was an anti-muslim who wanted to celebrate the 2011 Oslo shootings by trying to do a similar one (yesterday was the anniversary). Most of the victims were muslim and he gathered them to McDonalds via Facebook, posing as a girl.

Not only muslims but also extremists and white supremacists are becoming more and more rampant. It's not a coincidence Trump is gathering more popularity than we imagined. The world is becoming very hateful.

22 hours ago, Ikarus360 said:

1 hour ago, baron-pierreIV said:

Another massacre in Kabul - another 80+ people KILLED!!  When will this madness stop???  When will islamic fundamentalism be extinguished??

Actually, Munich police confirmed it was a "normal" amok run, sad as that is. Shooter had Iranian parentage, but was born & raised in Munich. He apparently worshipped other amok runners and committed his crime on the 5th anniversary of Breivik's mass murder.

I think the worst aspects of this killing spree were that

1) among the nine victims, there were eight young people ranging from 14 to 20 years old - while the killer was an 18-year-old man himself (and committed suicide later last night, by the way). They all had a full life ahead of them - and while one of those nine decided to throw his life away, he even raptured the other eight's chances to live that life, to fall in love, to have children, to have a steady job... It's heartbreaking.

2) so many social media (and even people who - probably abusively - called the police) users spread rumours last night, claiming that there were further shootings at different prominent locations throughout the city of Munich. All that led to a major terror scare and probably also to the fact that the Munich shooting became such a big news story around the world, even including immediate statements by people like President Obama. I think it's really bad if society gets so scared by all the recent terrorist attacks in France, Germany and other parts of the world that they already start panicking as soon as they hear of a shooting.

In any case, the past 24 hours were grim ones for Munich and especially for all who worried about loved ones being affected by the actual and alleged shootings. And, even more so, for those who even lost loved ones. I sincerely hope that anything like that doesn't happen again for at least quite a long time. I'm simply fed up by all those negative and bloody news in the past few days.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Olympian2004 said:

among the nine victims, there were eight young people ranging from 14 to 20 years old - while the killer was an 18-year-old man himself (and committed suicide later last night, by the way). They all had a full life ahead of them - and while one of those nine decided to throw his life away, he even raptured the other eight's chances to live that life, to fall in love, to have children, to have a steady job... It's heartbreaking.

That seems to have been his point. Most other people in his age group seemed, to him, to have enjoyable lives ...

1 minute ago, Scotguy said:

Another attack today, this time in Stuttgart. Reports saying a Syrian Asylum seeker has killed one and injured another on the street with a machete :(  

OK folks. Let's stop hysteria: Indeed, a Syrian asylum seeker killed a woman and injured two people in Reutlingen near Stuttgart today with a big knife or machete (conflicting reports). Police made clear there was a fight/discussion on a private level prior to the attack and that it had no terrorist background. They arrested the attacker after he got hit by a car intentionally. The car driver was Turkish, saw the attack and wanted to stop the attacker - so much for evil muslims etc bla bla.

Terrible for the victims, but let's not make it bigger than it is: Not every killing in the streets these days deserves breaking news and worldwide headlines. As someone else put it: If the attacker there had been a blond German, it would have been a short report on page 8 of the regional newspaper. Perspective is everything.

Thankfully, the suicide bomber in Ansbach (a small city near Nuremberg) killed only himself. He failed to enter a music festival in the city (the city had raised its safety precautions for the festival after the Munich killing spree) and thus detonated his bomb while sitting in a nearby café. Apparently, the bomb was rather weak and therefore caused no fatal or even life-threatening injuries for the people in his vicinity. Police and state authorities already found out that he was a radical islamist, ISIS has claimed responsibility.

According to experts, it's quite possible that this series of killing sprees and terrorist attacks (not counting the attack in Reutlingen near Stuttgart) was not a pure coincidence but that the attackers in Würzburg (where a young islamist seriously injured three train passengers with an axe and a knife one week ago), Munich and Ansbach felt encouraged by each other or by the terrorist attack against the July 14 celebrations in Nice.

But I agree with Stefan MUC: Even if these are worrying news, we should not run into the danger of over-dramatising things and start panicking. It should be almost statistically impossible that this series of attacks goes on and on and on for the next days. And maybe it's even only a coincidence, albeit a very bad one.

• Like 1

Update on the Munich shooter:

Apparently the guy was proud to be born on 20th April (Hitler's bday), considered himself "Aryan" and felt bullied by Turkish kids at school. he was also fan of right-populist AfD party.

They have some mind acrobatics to do now...because their Führers immediately claimed islamists/migrants as the cause on Friday.