Dear Mr Livingstone - Please Bring Back the Sigs!

Dear GBModerator, Mr Rob Livingstone,

First off, thank you for the recent upgrade of the GamesBids forums. I think most of us would agree, they look really nice. I understand there's a few teething problems at the moment, but I'm confident these will all be worked out eventually. And I understand that you yourself are also trying to come to grips with some of the changes that have come with the new format, and have yourself expressed frustration at some features missing or done away with. I guess we all have to try and be patient.

That said, i do have a very big request or favour to ask. Please bring back, if you have the means to do so, the ability for members to add their own signatures to their posts.

Okay, it may appear a frivolous request, but I think the sigs are an important part of the GamesBids. We're a forum with lots of creative people and full of people who like to express their passions and who are always keen to show off their artistic sides, the cities and teams they want to support, the events they are looking forward to. We're a community who like to play Forum games, and organise and participate in Forum contests and challenges - many of them involving artwork and graphic elements. We like to personalise our posts and add our own flavour to our personal profiles.

Since the update, this is a feature that's now missing. The only way for us to personalise our posts and profiles at the moment is through our profile pics - tiny as they are. beyond that, we are now left with bland vanilla posts with nothing to distinguish them from each other. We've lost a bit of incentive for future Forum events and competitions, where people in the past would routinely use sigs to highlight their artistic efforts or their support of a sports team or Olympic bidding city or their adopted team or country in a sweepstakes for the likes of a World Cup or an Olympic games. With Rio just around the corner, I'm sure there's more than a few of us who had been planning Games Time sigs to trumpet their allegiances.

Every other forum I regularly visit or participate in - from console games to fan sites to various arcane discussion boards - has the ability to let members design and add their own signatures. It just seems so lacking that a forum that has so many members that celebrate the imagery and colour of the Olympic Games is now one of the few that doesn't offer that feature/ability. I think it diminishes the board not to have that ability. I sure hope it's not now beyond the technical capability of the current forum software used and can be re-instated. I ask on behalf of the membership that if it is at all possible to reinstate the ability, please do so. We'd really appreciate it.

Yours Sincerely,

Sir Rols  

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

BRING BACK THE SIGS!

0oRLDA.jpg

h2aRW3.jpg

CLICK HERE TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT TO BRINGING BACK THE SIGNATURES TO GAMESBIDS!

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 2

I'd put fixing the page nav issue as the main priority.

The other thing that I don't like is the notification "somebody liked your post in the topic...". Who? I can't see who's liking my wise, witty and knowledgeable posts anymore :(

But yeah, getting sigs back would be nice too.

We don't ask for much do we?! :lol:

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

Dear GBModerator, Mr Rob Livingstone,

First off, thank you for the recent upgrade of the GamesBids forums. I think most of us would agree, they look really nice. I understand there's a few teething problems at the moment, but I'm confident these will all be worked out eventually. And I understand that you yourself are also trying to come to grips with some of the changes that have come with the new format, and have yourself expressed frustration at some features missing or done away with. I guess we all have to try and be patient.

That said, i do have a very big request or favour to ask. Please bring back, if you have the means to do so, the ability for members to add their own signatures to their posts.

Okay, it may appear a frivolous request, but I think the sigs are an important part of the GamesBids. We're a forum with lots of creative people and full of people who like to express their passions and who are always keen to show off their artistic sides, the cities and teams they want to support, the events they are looking forward to. We're a community who like to play Forum games, and organise and participate in Forum contests and challenges - many of them involving artwork and graphic elements. We like to personalise our posts and add our own flavour to our personal profiles.

Since the update, this is a feature that's now missing. The only way for us to personalise our posts and profiles at the moment is through our profile pics - tiny as they are. beyond that, we are now left with bland vanilla posts with nothing to distinguish them from each other. We've lost a bit of incentive for future Forum events and competitions, where people in the past would routinely use sigs to highlight their artistic efforts or their support of a sports team or Olympic bidding city or their adopted team or country in a sweepstakes for the likes of a World Cup or an Olympic games. With Rio just around the corner, I'm sure there's more than a few of us who had been planning Games Time sigs to trumpet their allegiances.

Every other forum I regularly visit or participate in - from console games to fan sites to various arcane discussion boards - has the ability to let members design and add their own signatures. It just seems so lacking that a forum that has so many members that celebrate the imagery and colour of the Olympic Games is now one of the few that doesn't offer that feature/ability. I think it diminishes the board not to have that ability. I sure hope it's not now beyond the technical capability of the current forum software used and can be re-instated. I ask on behalf of the membership that if it is at all possible to reinstate the ability, please do so. We'd really appreciate it.

Yours Sincerely,

Sir Rols  

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

BRING BACK THE SIGS!

0oRLDA.jpg

h2aRW3.jpg

CLICK HERE TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT TO BRINGING BACK THE SIGNATURES TO GAMESBIDS!

Just an oversight.  Sigs are activated.  Try again.

• Like 2

I wanted to click on Sir Rols' link too but it doesn't seem to work.

22 minutes ago, Mainad said:

I wanted to click on Sir Rols' link too but it doesn't seem to work.

Move on everyone - nothing to see here any more. The link only went back to this thread anyway, and I've got rid of it from the spamming of it I did I in other posts.

And again, thanks Rob. I figured it might just have been an oversight to lose the sigs, but just in case my fears it could have been a bit more permanent I thought I'd start this. Case closed.

wow i don't think i've ever been as passionate about anything as rols is about forum signatures.

maybe collecting all those spice girls lollipop stickers back in 1997 but i was always missing a baby and i eventually got over it.

Passionate? I dunno, more like on of those notions that seemed like a reasonable idea just before you go to bed, but you wake up in the morning wondering if you're going to be embarrassed over, or that you or Puppy will have made some cutting joke about.

Seriously, though, just figured the site couldn't afford to lose any more of its attractions. And, well, Rio's imminent. Wanna feel the old GBids vibe during Rio.

Speaking of which, isn't it about time someone (me?) start a Hot Bods of Rio thread, Faster start a Sports Illustrated Medal Predictions thread (do they still do that?) and Tony mangle a Rio sweepstakes?

Edited by Sir Rols

On July 22, 2016 at 7:44 AM, Rob. said:

The other thing that I don't like is the notification "somebody liked your post in the topic...". Who? I can't see who's liking my wise, witty and knowledgeable posts anymore :(

Lmfao, yeah, I remember you getting all Mr. Burns excited about that three years ago when the forums were 'updated' then where we could see who 'liked' posts. So we went from seeing who liked them at first, to not seeing who liked them. To back to seeing who liked what, & now back to not seeing who liked our 'wise, witty & knowledgeable posts'. All within a span of 6-7 years. Go figure.

• Like 2

On July 22, 2016 at 6:56 PM, krow said:

wow i don't think i've ever been as passionate about anything as rols is about forum signatures.

maybe collecting all those spice girls lollipop stickers back in 1997 but i was always missing a baby and i eventually got over it.

Lmfao :lol:

2 hours ago, FYI said:

Lmfao, yeah, I remember you getting all Mr. Burns excited about that three years ago when the forums were 'updated' then where we could see who 'liked' posts.

LOL, I really don't remember that, but you're probably right! :D

You've got a creepily good memory for what other people have posted though. :ph34r:

7 hours ago, Rob. said:

LOL, I really don't remember that, but you're probably right! :D

You've got a creepily good memory for what other people have posted though. :ph34r:

I agree. so what are my five best faster burns?

Edited by krow