The new site

Alright that was weird.  My first attempt above at replying to anything on a standard pc with keyboard resulted in the keyboard going haywire and inserting random numbers and symbols in lieu of proper spacing and punctuation.  Figured it was some sort of virus or something transmitted by new gb site.   Seems to be no problem on the laptop I've switched to.  Maybe a keyboard failure on the 1st machine just coincided with accessing gamesbids !    Whew.   

On July 21, 2016 at 7:09 PM, Sir Rols said:

On the plus side, looking through my past content, I see every post is now archived and accessible RIGHT TO THE BEGINNING. Funny seeing he first ever post I made on GBids back in 2004!

Not quite "right to the beginning". Mine only go back to July 2003, when I joined back in October 2000! And my post count went  from about 10,400 to 8,207. So I'm assuming those 2,200 missing posts now are from 10/00-7/03. Quite disappointing (so much for the 'improvement'), cuz I'd certainly would've liked to have seen my old content from when I first joined here. I also see that a couple of other people that joined around the same time I did, their posts also stop to about 2003 or so.  

On 7/23/2016 at 1:21 AM, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Anybody else having problems with the new implementation of Multiquote including quotes from the previous time you used Multiquote? [Not a huge problem, I admit, as they can easily be deleted]

I have that too, but I don't think it's really a "problem" per se. Maybe it's a new "feature"? I'm sure we'll all need to multi quote from across other threads at one point eventually :P 

Thought my post count had gone down a bit. Relieved to know it wasn't just my imagination! ;)

i demand to start from zero posts as an experimental art and performance piece casually critiquing the ephemeral nature of internet postings and arbitrary upgrades in the post-internet forum era.

calling it 'posts-modern'.

• Like 3

On 23 July 2016 at 6:21 PM, JMarkSnow2012 said:

Anybody else having problems with the new implementation of Multiquote including quotes from the previous time you used Multiquote? [Not a huge problem, I admit, as they can easily be deleted]

Pretty sure I just got burned by that glitch as well Again, a grovelling apology to Puppy.

Lesson - check which posts you're really quoting (and I rarely normally use multi quote)

^No, not everyone. It appears to have mainly affected members that joined prior to 2004. I mean, the Kingpin of most post count on these boards (over 35,000), has apparently escaped unscathed by the new format change.

19 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Any options to change fonts in posts now? Was just trying to change a font back to standard Aries, but couldn't find any button for it.

If I paste content in a particular font the message pane alerts me that I have pasted text with formatting, I can then keep typing and the font will remain as I type- but i expect it will revert to Arial when I press Submit ...

Okay, almost two weeks into the new site, and for me there's still the following... niggles? mysteries?

Glitches:

Still have the page navigation glitch

The multi quote glitch

(both are manageable, but not ideal)

Mysteries:

It'd be nice to see who's "liking" p;costs, rather than make them anonymous.

Don't know why we still have status updates, when they're not displayed anywhere (unless you want to look on someone's profile)

The "Who's Online" and the "Members" listings in the right home page column seem a bit superfluous with each other. "Members" only seems to be a much longer version of "Who's Online". Maybe "Members" can be replaced with something else (status updates?).

The "Topics" listing is quite a good way of seeing which topics are most recently active. But I find it a bit weird that they're displayed by who started the topic. I like to see who's posted on them recently, not who started the thread (sometimes years ago). I still get caught out a bit by it (Ooh, Yoshi's made another post in the new topics thread... oh wait, that's right!). And it's gonna be downright weird when, say, the Gold Coast 2018 thread heats up and we keep seeing Jim Jones listed regularly on the home page.

The fonts - I'd still like to be able to change them. Aesthetically, I've always preferred the clean, neater look of Arial.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 3