Military coup in Turkey?

Well. Like many of us said before, the IOC really dodged a deadly bullet by not picking Istambul in 2013.

As for Erdogan, I hope he gets kicked out. That's what he get for trying to turn Turkey onto an Islamic Republic and being an asshole in general.

My guess is the military finally grow tired of his bullcrap and also couldn't stand anymore the country became a much easier target for terrorists on the last couple of years under him. It's sad this had to happen on an undemocratic way but sadly, history has taught us tyrants of this caliber never leave the easy way.

The military has declared Martial Law and proclaimed they have taken control of the country.

Erdogan has appeared on a tv channel speaking through FaceTime pretty much confirming he's on the run. Rumours say he's seeking assylum in Germany.

Looks like Erdogan era is (finally) over.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/754064973031215104

Update - #Turkey's PM says security forces will "retaliate in kind" and "everything necessary will be done even if that means fatalities"

This was filmed in Ankara some moments ago. People are taking over the streets.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1gqxvBepzZAxB

Also, I disagree about saying the IOC making a "good call." I'm pretty sure they weren't thinking in their heads 3 years ago "Oh gee! I don't think we should pick Istanbul because there's going to be a massive coup there in three years time!" It's the same as shaming the IOC for picking Rio. How were they supposed to know Brasil would be in its current state 7 years ago. I'd much prefer to say that the IOC "dodged a bullet" like what FYI said in the LA2024 thread.

Turkish State television came back to air. The PM is saying the Coup has failed but the reality seems to be different. Pretty much we don't really know what's happening. The parliament building in Ankara has also been under attack.

Looks like the coup failed. This is why you never do a coup when the person still has considerable support of the people. The crowd pretty much overtook the soldiers for what i'm seeing.

This could also led to the possiblity everything was staged in order to strenghten Erdogan's power,

Nope. Apparently it's still on. CNN Turkey has been taken over by the military. This is insane.

Loud explosions at Ataturk airport (and Erdogan had just landed at Istambul). Bulgaria is closing its borders right now.

Not sure why the IOC would care. Heck, they'd probably prefer the stability of a military dictatorship.

I think the back lash would come from other nations and the media. The IOC doesn't really care about Rio's conditions, but the media certainly does. Plus, I'm sure some uber free-loving nations would consider boycotting a military dictatorship.

But yeah, this is like Turkey's 6th coup in a hundred years. And every time a coup happened, it was just to replace a president that has become a bit too unsecular, like Erdoğan.

I don't know much about the political situation in Turkey... let me guess it's yet another one of those countries lead by a mostly authoritarian figure that has public opinion divided 50/50? if that's the case then this coup won't work, it will only sink the country in deeper ****.

I don't know much about the political situation in Turkey... let me guess it's yet another one of those countries lead by a mostly authoritarian figure that has public opinion divided 50/50? if that's the case then this coup won't work, it will only sink the country in deeper ****.

Yeah, the president was elected into office at 51%. He then slowly passed laws to create a more authoritarian executive branch.