Is anything known about the 129th IOC Session? All that is said about it on the Olympic website is that it is being held in Rio (for obvious reasons) and that the dates are August 1-4, 2016. If memory serves me right, the sessions held before the games usually discuss the election of new members to the IOC, and selecting the host city of the IOC session three years later, so this one should be the 132 Session in 2019. I know some people on here seem to have magical access to Olympic information that I've never been able to find.

So does anybody know anything? Are there any bidders for the 2019 Session?

For the record, I am aware of the fact that the last time that a host city was selected during a session before the Olympics was in 2010 in Vancouver, when Buenos Aires was selected to host the 2013 session. Was that the last time this would occur?

Is anything known about the 129th IOC Session? All that is said about it on the Olympic website is that it is being held in Rio (for obvious reasons) and that the dates are August 1-4, 2016. If memory serves me right, the sessions held before the games usually discuss the election of new members to the IOC, and selecting the host city of the IOC session three years later, so this one should be the 132 Session in 2019. I know some people on here seem to have magical access to Olympic information that I've never been able to find.

For the record, I am aware of the fact that the last time that a host city was selected during a session before the Olympics was in 2010 in Vancouver, when Buenos Aires was selected to host the 2013 session. Was that the last time this would occur?

Well, since Lima (So. America again; so that makes 2 IOC Sessions in a row in the same southern hemisphere continent) hosts next year 2017, and then 2018 is So. Korea and 2020 in Tokyo; then 2019 should ideally be in Europe (and might coincide with the 2nd European Games, if and when that happens). If there are no suitable bidders, the fall-back is always Lausanne or Baden-Baden.

• 3 weeks later...

IOC board to review Rio final preparations, Russia doping

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) — Less than a week before the opening of the Olympics, IOC leaders will meet in Rio de Janeiro this weekend to review the final preparations for the games and deal with the fallout from the doping scandal that has led to the exclusion of more than 100 Russian athletes.

The International Olympic Committee's ruling executive board opens a two-day meeting on Saturday, its last formal gathering before next Friday night's opening ceremony at the Maracana stadium.

The meeting comes less than a week after the IOC board decided not to ban Russia's entire team from the games because of state-sponsored doping. Rejecting calls by more than a dozen anti-doping agencies for a complete ban on Russia, the IOC left it to individual sports federations to vet which athletes could compete or not.

Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko said Friday that, so far, 272 of the country's athletes had been cleared by international federations, out of an original team of 387. More than 100, however, have been barred — including the track and field team banned by the IAAF and more than 30 other athletes rejected under new IOC eligibility criteria.

Russia's eight-member weightlifting team was kicked out of the games on Friday for what the international federation called "extremely shocking" doping results that brought the sport into "disrepute."

The IOC has been roundly criticized by anti-doping bodies, athletes groups and Western media for not imposing a total ban on Russia. Pressure for the full sanction followed a World Anti-Doping Agency report by Canadian lawyer Richard McLaren that accused Russia's sports ministry of overseeing a vast doping conspiracy involving the country's summer and winter sports athletes.

Bach has defended the decision as protecting individual athletes from collective punishment.

"This is a decision we just had the opportunity to discuss with some athletes," Bach said in Rio. "I think the general feeling is that it is appreciated that, on the one hand, we are sanctioning a (doping) system, but on the other hand we have given athletes who were not part of the system the opportunity to demonstrate this and then to be allowed to take part in the Olympic Games."

Rio's preparations, meanwhile, remain clouded on several fronts, including budget cuts, raw sewage that pollutes the sites of rowing, sailing, canoeing, open water swimming and triathlon, slow ticket sales, and concerns over crime and the Zika virus. The games come with the president awaiting an impeachment trial and the country gripped by a severe recession.

The Australians and at least eight other Olympic teams complained this week about their accommodations in the athletes' village, citing plumbing leaks, electrical faults and dirty conditions. On Friday, Australian athletes and staff had to be evacuated from their building after a small fire broke out in the basement. They returned safely after about 20 minutes.

Bach remains publicly upbeat.

"In the end you will see a fantastic Olympic Village and great games," he said. "The Brazilians will overwhelm all of us with their passion, with their joy of life, their great hospitality, and with their energy."

The full IOC will hold a three-day session next week, starting Tuesday. A top item on the agenda is Wednesday's vote on a recommendation to add five sports to the program of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics — baseball/softball, surfing, karate, skate boarding and sport climbing.

The proposed sports — backed by the executive board and to be voted on as a package — would add 18 events and 474 athletes to the program.

An IOC program commission report released on Friday said the five sports are a blend of the traditional and emerging, youth-focused events, and all have international and local appeal.

AP

http://summergames.ap.org/article/ioc-board-review-rio-final-preparations-russia-doping

On 12-7-2016 at 9:03 AM, Nemo said:

Olympic programme 2020 will be decided by this IOC session. For the first time in the new way under Agenda 2020.

3 hours ago, TorchbearerAA said:

Olympic programme 2020 will be decided by this IOC session. For the first time in the new way under Agenda 2020.

What does that mean? How's the selection process different? 

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

What does that mean? How's the selection process different? 

First the IOC choose the sports to be included in the programme.
Now the OCOG can make a proposal for events in stead of sports to be included in the Olympic programme. So the maximum is not 28 sports, but approximately 310 medal events in the Summer games.
The IOC session needs to approve the OCOG proposal.

So Tokyo 2020 proposed to include some events and the IOC session is going to decide on it next week.

5 hours ago, TorchbearerAA said:

First the IOC choose the sports to be included in the programme.
Now the OCOG can make a proposal for events in stead of sports to be included in the Olympic programme. So the maximum is not 28 sports, but approximately 310 medal events in the Summer games.
The IOC session needs to approve the OCOG proposal.

So Tokyo 2020 proposed to include some events and the IOC session is going to decide on it next week.

Thanks for the update! I like that the Organizing Committees are able to pick the sports that are more popular in their countries. I was wondering why baseball stadiums were being put on venue lists.

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

Thanks for the update! I like that the Organizing Committees are able to pick the sports that are more popular in their countries. I was wondering why baseball stadiums were being put on venue lists.

So do I. The question I have is, are the OCOG proposed events meant to be one-off? In that games only? My understanding was that with new sports inclusions in the past, they were guaranteed for inclusion in at least two games, to properly assess them and to give some continuity. What's the deal now?

I wonder if weightlifting could be under threat given that 31 of the 98 retests from Beijing and London were from that one sport. Plus it has had nothing but doping issues since it decided to really clamp down on them. 

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

So do I. The question I have is, are the OCOG proposed events meant to be one-off? In that games only? My understanding was that with new sports inclusions in the past, they were guaranteed for inclusion in at least two games, to properly assess them and to give some continuity. What's the deal now?

The five being added for Tokyo are one offs. 

1 hour ago, intoronto said:

The five being added for Tokyo are one offs. 

This is good to know because if they were meant to be added for two additional games, that would lead to a huge Olympic Program of almost 40 sports or more. Maybe it's time for some other sports to leave the Olympic Program to make room for newer sports... I vote Equestrian and Table Tennis

So, who followed the Bach buttlicking session this afternoon in which member after member stood up and blamed WADA/the press for the Russian doping scandal?

The IOC seriously doesn't care about what's happened in Russia does it?

I'm going to try to enjoy Rio, but LA and Paris must be wondering why they're bothering after the ****-show that was this afternoon's IOC session. Bach proving to be a very, very poor leader.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, Dylanlip said:

Seems there are no outlying members/alliances against Bach's nonsense like there were in FIFA against Sepp Blatter.

One:

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1040233/pengilly-only-ioc-member-to-vote-against-executive-board-response-to-russian-doping-after-two-hour-debate

3 minutes ago, Rob. said:

As long as no corruption scandals blow up, and as long as sponsors hold fast, the IOC board and members will never shake up, and its reputation will keep crumbling. Rio has to have another major setback/controversy internationally for anything to change now. Pyeongchang and Tokyo's fine bids will not change the IOCs current course.