Tokyo 2020 Handover

Now I know that this part of the ceremonies as a whole is only 8 minutes long, but I've been wondering what they'll try to convey. There is one song in particular that I'll link below that seems a good snapshot of culture since it is minyou, otherwise known as traditional japanese singing. This specific performance involves a famous form of group dancing performed in the annual Awa Odori Festival.

The Tokyo gorin ondo (I prefer the Minami Haruo version) take me back the 1964 Olympics. Maybe its too traditional for nowadays.

The Amuro Namie's Hero is lovely but its the NHK Rio Olympic song theme, anyway I'm very curious to see what Tokyo 2020 will present at handover ;)

I think Tokyo should have some fun with the handover ceremony. They should consider re-enacting a live pokemon battle! Might be great timing considering how extremely popular the new mobile game Pokemon Go is doing there's bound to be Pokemon or video games in general somewhere in one of their ceremonies.

I heard a choreographer which works with the Jpop group Perfume will be in charge of the dances of the Handover. I expect Taiko drums and maybe a nod to the big japanese diaspora of Brazil (the country with the most people with japanese ethnicity in the world outside Japan).

This was the handover of Nagano 1998. Very solemn and simple, though. I hope they make it more livelier this time.

It would be a nice detail if the anthem of Japan is performed by people of this diaspora i've mentioned (much like how the Olympic and greek anthems were performed by people of greek descent in both the opening and closing ceremonies of Sydney 2000 respectively)

Taiko drum performance. I believe they heavily used both Taiko and Korean drums at the closing ceremony of France 1998 WC as well.

Brazil have the largest immigrant japanese community outside Japan

This weekend in São Paulo- Brazil there will be a large brasil-japan festival. Including an election of a brazilian descendant miss called miss nikey and taiko shows

http://www.festivaldojapao.com/guide/

If any of u guys are already in Brasil it is a good place to check this community.

I was secretly hoping Hayao Miyazaki would be involved. I remember when Tokyo won, everybody on the forums wanted him to direct the OC, but he might be too old by then.

• Like 1

^^ He retired in 2014, in fact. At least from Studio Ghibli. It seems he wants to spend time with his family now. So it's very difficult he could be hired, though maybe some other prominent members of Studio Ghibli can be involved in the developement of the show, who knows.

^^ He retired in 2014, in fact. At least from Studio Ghibli. It seems he wants to spend time with his family now. So it's very difficult he could be hired, though maybe some other prominent members of Studio Ghibli can be involved in the developement of the show, who knows.

That's why I was secretly hoping... he'd come out of retirment again to do it. Maybe his son Goro could. I think he'd be a good fit since he directed "From up on Poppy Hill" which is about the 1964 Olympics to a degree. Maybe Studio Ghibli could be brought on to do the ceremonies...

March 11th victims form human letters for Rio

Children from a town in northeastern Japan that was hit hard by the March 2011 disaster have taken part in a special video for the Rio Olympic Games.

More than 600 elementary and junior high school students from Otsuchi Town, Iwate Prefecture, formed letters on the ground to spell out "THANK YOU" in English. The children are still attending lessons in a temporary facility.

As a small camera drone flew above them to record the scene, the students waved red balloons and shouted their thanks in both Japanese and English.

The footage will be shown at the closing ceremony for the Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games next month, when the Olympic flag is passed on to a representative of the next host, Tokyo.

The footage will feature in a presentation being created by the organizing committee for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics.

One of the students who took part in the event said he wants people around the world who have supported them to know that Otsuchi town is recovering from the disaster.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20160711_36/

• 3 weeks later...

I like J-Pop but even Pyeongchang had the decency of not shoving K-Pop on us since its pretty much everywhere. Then again the choreographer of this handover worked for many J-Pop bands. Are we going to only see synchronized dancing like that dreadful Atlanta handover? I hope not.

• 2 weeks later...