Athletics @ Rio 2016

• 3 weeks later...

I'm here praying that Blessing Okagbare doesn't screw up and pulls through for a Medal. She usually messes up when it counts (Worlds, Olympics etc). English Gardner looked strong at US Olympic Trials handing Tori Bowie her first loss of the year (Bowie finished 3rd behind Tianna Bartoletta). Elaine Thompson destroyed her field in the 100m Finals at the Jamaican Olympic Trials (10.74). Schippers has been looking "Meh" lately, Hopefully she finds something in her and does well. Allyson Felix of the USA and Shaunae Miller of the Bahamas are expected to battle for the Gold in the 400. Shame that Kendra Harrison isn't going, She broke the WR at the Anniversary Games (12.20) I guess not making it onto the Team fueled her more into breaking the 28 Year-Old Record.

• 3 weeks later...

Really disappointed in the numbers in the stadium yesterday. I feel sorry for the athletes as the atmosphere can take them to new heights. I looked at pics of the first day at London and the stadium was packed. Such a shame, pics of Jessica Ennis on the hurdles start line at London and Rio and the difference between the image is incredible.

Is it that the Brazilians don't have the track stars that they want to see. I guess the Brits wanted to watch history and Mo Farah and Jesicca. Hopefully the stadium will fill as the competition goes on.

If they'd known by sales that so many seats were gonna be empty, why didn't they do the Barcelona solution and donate blocs to schools, disadvantaged youth groups, give an opportunity to those many Brazilians who otherwise couldn't even dream of affording a ticket to see a games on home soil? It would have been a great gesture, helped build a legacy and added to the atmosphere. It's not too late to do so.

Edited by Sir Rols

1 hour ago, Sir Rols said:

If they'd known by sales that so many seats were gonna be empty, why didn't they do the Barcelona solution and donate blocs to schools, disadvantaged youth groups, give an opportunity to those many Brazilians who otherwise couldn't even dream of affording a ticket to see a games on home soil? It would have been a great gesture, helped build a legacy and added to the atmosphere. It's not too late to do so.

it just makes CAF's observation that there were long lines and disorder to get into venues that much more shocking. how hard is it to organize a venue to half-capacity? didn't they just host a world cup?

Though we lost the Triple Jump event, at least we finally managed to grab a medal on these games (Silver) thanks to Yulimar Rojas. This is also the first medal we win in athletics since 1952.

tumblr_inline_obxfo6RLMw1rbuyr7_540.jpg

Given Ibarguen is retiring after these games, I hope Yulimar makes it to Tokyo and gives us a gold. 

Don't know who's still watching, but this is what makes the Olympics so enthralling. Watching Da Silva the Brazilian grab gold in the pole vault. Crowd is wild (though a pity there were boos for the Frenchman's last attempt to overhaul him). I've gone wild.

Yeah, moments like this are special.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

I imagine a Brzilian medal ceremony is sure going to boost attendance tomorrow night.

I'm still coming down from that. Don't think I've ever punched the air so much for a non-Aussie winner!

And we have another chance of Gold on Women's Pole Vault with Fabiana Mure, she's #1 in 2016 World Ranking.. :D 

How to qualify in a good way...

Wonderful sportsmanship in the women's 5000m heats...NZs Nikki Hamblin helping up US counterpart Abby D'Agostino when a Japanese runner in front of them momentarily tripped causing the inevitable chain reaction. D'Agostino helped Hamblin up and allowed Hamblin to carry on. D'Agostino fell again, still clearly injured with a badly scuffed knee. Hamblin then stopped and hauled her up again to finish the heat well back from the leaders. 

Olympic officials promptly qualified the pair into the finals.

:)

7 minutes ago, MrkFC said:

The one sure thing that's never going to disappoint you in any Olympics - athletics. Any takers?

You know, as an Aussie, usually the highlight of the games is the swimming, and then we flounder over whether there's anything in it for us in the second week. And just about each time I start watching the athletics thinking there'll be nothing to engage me much (it's not like I follow it much outside the games). But then inevitably I get drawn in, get enthralled, and realise that there's a lot more that's absorbing and exciting than just watching my own countrymen swim. I remember why I got fascinated by the Olympics in the first place. 

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:56 PM, Sir Rols said:

Don't know who's still watching, but this is what makes the Olympics so enthralling. Watching Da Silva the Brazilian grab gold in the pole vault. Crowd is wild (though a pity there were boos for the Frenchman's last attempt to overhaul him). I've gone wild.

Yeah, moments like this are special.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 11:00 PM, Lee said:

It's 4am here and I just yelled like a lunatic when DaSilva went over. That's what the games are about. Best moment of the games. Congratulations Brazil!

Erm.... you guys realize that "best moment" was ruined by the crowd heavily booing the frenchman on the podium, right? He broke down near to tears and the IAAF President had to console him.

sub-buzz-7590-1471404720-8.jpg?resize=72

It could've been a great all-time moment, but instead it will stand out for what the crowd turned it into, an embarrasment of a lack of sportsmanship from the host nation.

4 hours ago, Dylanlip said:

Erm.... you guys realize that "best moment" was ruined by the crowd heavily booing the frenchman on the podium, right? He broke down near to tears and the IAAF President had to console him.

It could've been a great all-time moment, but instead it will stand out for what the crowd turned it into, an embarrasment of a lack of sportsmanship from the host nation.

That WAS pretty unacceptable at the medal ceremony the day after. At the event itself the night before, it was a pity (as I noted at the time) but didn't destroy the moment for me.

• Like 1

Congrats to our US women for sweeping in the 110m hurdles! A first for women's track & field events! I'm glad too considering our men in track events have been embarrassing as of late. Overall though seems like with every Olympics that passes by, our medals in track events seems to be diminishing. What is going on with our athletics program in the US? or is it that we are too generous with our athletics scholarships being awarded to international students? Also we need to find what Jamaica is doing with their training because not only have they improved results in the women's events, they even helped a South African win in the men's 400m event.