Sign in to follow this  
zekekelso

NBA Draft and Olympic Basketball

The gap between the US and the rest of the world is pretty big. The funny thing is look at the list of guys that are NOT playing in Rio and then the team that is playing will still probably wipe the floor with the competition.

A lot of these players were "draft and stash" picks, IMO. The Celtics and Sixers in particular had a million picks and do not have roster spots for all of the players they drafted, IIRC. So they benefited from picking some players they can keep in Europe for a year or two. The Sixers drafted Dario Saric with a lottery pick two years ago and still haven't brought him to the NBA.

I've heard from the only ex-NBA player I know personally that American players sometimes prefer to go undrafted than be selected in the second round anyway, but I am not sure if that is really true.

The gap between the US and the rest of the world is pretty big. The funny thing is look at the list of guys that are NOT playing in Rio and then the team that is playing will still probably wipe the floor with the competition.

I think the problem is really the type of players rather than the quantity. All of our stretch power forwards look like they will skip the Olympics, which is really bad news for international style play.

I think the problem is really the type of players rather than the quantity. All of our stretch power forwards look like they will skip the Olympics, which is really bad news for international style play.

Fair point, but again, if the varsity team is as dominant as they have been (they've gone undefeated in 5 of the last 6 Olympics and each of the last 2 World Cups), then the junior varsity team probably is still the favorite, even if they won't be as dominant. Either way, I wouldn't necessarily look at the draft last night and be concerned about the future influx of players when it's been the same guys that have been the faces of the game for so long now. But yes, it is a concern that NBA players tend to be the wrong types of guys for international play, especially once you get past the top tier talent.

A lot of these players were "draft and stash" picks, IMO.

A lot are. But this is now the 4th year in a row the top draft pick plays internationally for someone other than the US.

​The times they are a changing.